March 28, 2024, 02:05:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toughest Place You've Dog Hunted  (Read 3472 times)
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 11:41:20 am »

We followed the Dogs through some real thick saw briars and clear cuts for hours one night. Everybody including the dogs was ripped up when we called it a night. The dogs would get bayed and by the time we got there the hog or hogs would bust out and head for another type of hell. On another hunt in North Florida (madison) they have some dumb ass bushes that they call ty-ty's , son of a $#!% that was rough on this north Georgia fat boy. Not to mention the damn water moccasins on every other tree limb and the occasional alligator.  Tons of hogs but that was a place where if you got bit by a moccasin or rattlesnake you better pray and call your family cause it ain't gonna be good. Also when I used to competition coon hunt we hunted all over the place. And anybody knows that with a cold nosed , full blooded hound you better have your walking shoes on !!! Mountains are no fun at 1 in the morning!!! Any of yall Florida boys know about those ty-ty's ? Yall need to band together and get rid of them suckers !!!

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 06:39:43 pm »

I've been fortunate enough to hunt all over the state of tx and a few in Oklahoma. I think the toughest place I've hunted was 30 minutes down the road from my house in gatesville. Hunter a place with some big box canyons and the hogs ran and ran. Caught plenty of hogs there but it's tough on me. Always run into something though lol. Rocks in the hill country, everything pokes you in south tx, the green briars in my country around strphenville, and the tumbleweeds in the panhandle. Yes I said tumble weeds.... They're miserable when you finally find a patch of brush out there the tumble weeds will be THICK thick from where the tumbleweeds have been blown up against the brush over the years and it's hard for a dog to get one caught. There's some steep canyons up there but I can deal wth that. But the combination of those canyons, cactus, undergrowth, and green briars on that particular place in gatesville was definitely the most challenging place.

Seth Gillespie
Kflippen
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 08:38:02 pm »

Well the roughest on the legs was bloody Madison county NC got to be a billy goat. Next the big island of Hawaii. Every where else is bout the same might have more rock or cactus bigger briar patch bout the same. It's only hard if it's not fun lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judge you still hunt NC any?
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »

Kflippin I have not been a hillbilly since 04 but I got family up there. I will get back up there some day lol bloody Madison lol do you live in that area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 09:46:00 pm »

Dang kflippen I wandered what happened to ya! glad your still on here 

Kflippen
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 09:58:56 pm »

Judge I'm from Dobson I plan on hunting pisgah when season opens there's a hog or 2 close to me but land owners don't mind them so getting permission hasn't worked out they stay in the timber aren't tearing up fields I guess when they get destructive it'll change lol may try to hit murphy a time or 2

Georgia hawgs I'm still here mostly reading post trying to beat the heat finally cooling off some been awful hot for here this summer
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 07:50:29 pm »

Been smoking hot here to, It is cooling off though, finally.  I'm about to finish up a good sized bay pen. If you still have my number give me holler and come fish and work some dogs here at the house. Do you still have that big ass stag hound ?

Kflippen
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 07:53:49 pm »

Been smoking hot here to, It is cooling off though, finally.  I'm about to finish up a good sized bay pen. If you still have my number give me holler and come fish and work some dogs here at the house. Do you still have that big ass stag hound ?

I'll try to come down and work some got a few young dogs I've still got the stag she's caught a couple domestic run aways lol working on getting a male stag now
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:55 pm »

That dog was pretty slick. I'd sure like to see a stag type dog get lined out on a hog in a wide open field !!

lettmroll
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:00 pm »

I guess the lease I'm on right now is probably the hardest place I've hunted. Pine sappling thicket, briar patch thickets, boggy sloughs, not many hogs and when you do find one the race is on. But I feel fortunate to have it.

Hold on
weller44
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:52 am »

Toughest place i have hunted is down in the catcus country I hate it. Don't have a problem catching hogs in it I just hate it.

X100
I have seen a good number of "jam up" hog dogs and even more Hog Doggers come back to the truck with their tails between there legs cover up in cactus thorns. In my opinion it takes a pretty hard dog with some brains to stick with a runner it some of the big cactus country around here. Especially with the weeds being head high and can't see 3 feet in front of you.

Trey Davis
Albany, Tx 
325-721-0091
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 09:56:14 pm »

Hardest place I've hunted is a corp property. Never an issue of not finding hogs...The dogs have struck almost every time I've hunted it. It's just the terrain. There are 2 deep creeks with steep banks that run parallel to each other the entire length of the property, all the way to the lake...I'd say they are sepperated by a distance of 50-100 yards the entire stretch. The first third of the property is mostly hard wood bottoms with the occasional briar patch and that's a pleasure...just a walk in the woods...lots of shade...it's honestly just beautiful...BUT....the place gets dogged a lot, so...inevitably the hogs will make a beeline towards the lake. The 2nd 2/3's of the property is mostly yupon thickets and good lord...it's terrible. For those of you familiar with mangroves...well...it's basically the same thing. Your crawling under, climbing over, contorting your body in all manner of way moving through that stuff. Now...that's bad enough, but imagine doing it with a lead in, lol. These thickets are 150 to 300 yards wide and I promise you...it ain't fun. Last time I hunted there it took us 30 minutes to go 75 yards, ridiculous.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »

The worst place I've ever hunted was on an island near Matagorda... I don't ever care to go back haha!

We hunt a lot of places like that from Matagorda to Freeport. Some rough terrain for sure.

Like someone else said when you get around 60 degree averages during the day its time to stop hunting out there due to all the snakes.
Crossstock
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 02:21:42 pm »

Throckmorton counties  some of the nastiest cactus country around... takes a tuff dog to make it out here
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: