March 29, 2024, 08:26:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often to train pups  (Read 1293 times)
Sourlaken357
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2015, 05:08:10 pm »

I am new to hog doggin and new to site. I have 4 bmc pups with a touch of hound that are 4.5 months old. They have just seen their first pig and 3 of the 4 bayed. I was wondering how often to show them a pig?
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:57:10 pm »

I would do it bout once a week but make sure to pull them out before they get bored.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
Curcross1987
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:24:44 am »

If you are wanting to make hunting dogs one time is all I show mine in a small pen after that they have to find them in a big wooded pen I have close to 30 acres don't want to teach them that I am going to find the pig for them if you are making pen dogs I guess once a week would be fine
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 06:38:27 am »

I got 3 pups the same age as urs and what I do is when I go to feed them I turn them out to play and I got a bay pen that is 300 yard from there pen on the other side of the house and as there playing in the yard and stuff I clean there pen get there feed and clean water and then go looking for them I let them find them pigs there self and pretty soon when u turn them out of the pen they will hual ass straight to the bay pen that's when I know it's time to go to the next step but it may take them awhile to find the pigs and they may never u may have to just walk by the pen and then walk back but never say nothen to them or any thing this way will let u know if them pups are gamey to that's the way I do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:17:37 am »

Lol no set way is better I have done it different ways   The best thing I can say is exposure to hogs makes hog dogs if it's in them. The worst thing u can do is get upset with them if they show interest keep at it just keep in mind that they baby's. A few min at a time is plenty. Take a old towel thro in with a pig get it good and stinky put a small pig in it hide it in the woods a short ways off drag the towel to the pig then turn pups on it and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sourlaken357
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 03:43:23 pm »

Thanks fellers I appreciate the feedback. I would like to have 2 strike /find dogs and one catch. These are my first hog dog prospects so if just one turns out I'll be really excited
RockingMH)
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:19:32 pm »

You from sourlake ?
Sourlaken357
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:19:28 pm »

Yes sir Borned and raised here
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print