April 24, 2024, 12:55:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro's and con's on bmc/bird dog cross....  (Read 1365 times)
Crossstock
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:43:09 pm »

Let's see some pics...
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:16:27 pm »

tell you what, this is an English setter BMC cross. And she knows how to stay busy. And she's got a good nose and boy boy boy does she hate a hog!!! She's earned her keep for me. She's just got this cockiness about her when she works a hog. Just walking around when she's tied out at the house. You look at her and she'll make you believe she's one hell of a dog

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 11:18:13 pm »

She ain't got a rough bone in her body. That is, until the catch dog gets in there

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 11:57:49 pm »

Pros- super high motor and drive. Great build and agility. She's fast! Has a lot of hunt to her
Cons- it never fails. The first 30 minutes of a hunt she don't put her nose to the ground much. She tries to wind like a bird dog. Then she realizes she and getting nothing as that nose goes down and the tail comes up and now we are hunting. Besides that only thing I don't like is she doesn't cut much weight. And she doesn't gain much either. No matter how I switch up feeding

CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:54:07 am »

Good lookin dog Slim9797

I gotta ask because I run bird dogs a lot .

Does your dog ever have the urge to want and point ?

It seems like something breed in them so strong it'd be hard to break

Thanks
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:57:56 pm »

She's never pointed in front of me. Though I did not raise this dog. Got her at 6 years old from a guy I've known for a few years. I'm not responsible for the dog she is today. But she's a good dog. At the end of every hunt. Whether we found hogs or not. I'm happy with her.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:59:16 pm »

Kinda strikes up some curiosity that you said that and makes me wonder what she'd do if I put her on some land of mine where we have a decent population of bobwhite

koyote76
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 04:21:07 pm »

I have some experience with alot of diffrent bird crosses. Most being crossed with elhew.

Pros...lots of go, stamina, nose, confirmation. Never have to worry about them staying at your feet. Good disposition and willingness to please. Easy to train and correct. Can be sensitive to the hand really only have to correct by voice.

Cons....when young alot of them have more fun running first turnout then hunting. Young does liable to hit a dirt road and just run it. Loss of stock bred genetics with F1 cross.

The best crosses ive see are when the bird dog has been bred down to a 1/4 or less.

Just dont bred any ol bird dog....find you a nice pointer with the traits tou want. Elhew seems to work the best.

I have some dogs that been bred back and forth together for a while and im very pleased with them.

“If you don’t have as much grit as your dogs then you don’t deserve to have them.”
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »

I've never had the pleasure of being around any rock solid pure bred curs for any length of time. But I have been around a lot of different dogs. And I will admit the bird dogs I've been around have always had the temperament and attitude and loyalty I like. Not to mention I think a lot of them are a special kind of pretty

Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:18:24 am »

All of my track dogs but one are bird dog and bird dog crosses. I have two full blooded and three crosses. Two are 3/4 Bird 1/4 Fl Cur, and the other is a daddy daughter bred 7/8 bird 1/8 fl cur.

Pros: Stamina, Bottom, Good Nose, Stays busy, Med Range, Fast, Gritty, Very Smart
Cons: Some are hard to get started. With all the energy they have, I've had a couple that want to run instead of worry about the hog I'm trying to get them to work. But once they learn to focus, its on!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: