March 28, 2024, 05:53:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the guys from Florida.  (Read 1034 times)
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:32:56 pm »

Read on here one time where someone quoted an old time cracker and he said, "If we could not find cur dogs we made them. Hound x bulldog.
A hound will bay and a bulldog will go to the head. How well did this tend to work first generation. Anyone have any experience with this?
...and how many of ya'll think this is where some lines of cur dogs started?
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 06:30:24 am »

My buddy hunts a plot pit and a red bone pit both have good noses and alot of drive fairly rangy the plot opens when tracks smokin hot and the red bone is completely silent. Both look more like a bulldog than hound and neither will catch by themselves.They handle the heat well to.He doesn't hunt as much as he should so they aren't reaching full potential but I'd feed either one of them.My only concern in first generation breeding would be raising the pups and having them turn out open.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:18:58 pm »

there is really no telling what made up the dogs here in florida.  you can breed two yellow dogs together and get a litter of black and tans, reds, etc.  If I had to guess about the hound bulldog thing, I would tend to think it would be the old time bulldogs that were used as stock dogs.  as for the hound?  my yellow dogs do/did have some houndy looking ears.  some not though. lol
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 09:07:25 pm »

A slim, leggy, fairly quiet redbone hound, a long legged, black and tan, block headed leopard dog, and a good stock bred white bulldog were our foundation dogs when building good cur cow dogs. With a really "good" bulldog, the hound over bulldog cross would get us close to the right kind with the first generation. If a little more "cattle sense" was needed, we'd cross a leopard dog in there. We would try and keep a couple of redbone/leopard crossed dogs around as well that could be crossed over a good bulldog to save a step and get us there quicker. First generation cross would set the "type" preferred. Usually had a couple favor the hound, couple favor the bulldog, and a couple that were in between. We've always culled hard. Pups were given every opportunity to make hands by 6 months old. Always had a couple from that first generation that would open from behind cattle. They were the first to be culled. Straight head dogs is what we bred for. Dogs that went to the front to stop, no exceptions. Dogs that would get as rough as needed to get control of cattle, with good circle and finesse. The old "cow hunting" dogs would have more nose than improved pasture dogs. That would go back to the "type" required statement I made. Absolute handle was a must. These dogs crossed over to hogs very well.

Catchin hogs cracker style
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:18:14 pm »

I'd like to rephrase that "by 6 months of age " remark. We've always preferred naturals and quick learners. If buy 6 months a dog had not showed us at least some potential, it was culled. Again these dogs were all started young and given every opportunity to prove themselves.

Catchin hogs cracker style
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 11:37:20 am »

Thx for the replies.
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:38:53 am »

Now about those stock bred bulldogs. How were they different and does anyone still have this type of bulldog?
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 01:54:45 pm »

i have reason to believe the early bulldogs used in breeding cur dogs where more of what is an oeb -olde english bulldogg today. sure there was a variety of type but the underbite and screw tails keep poping up still today.the paintings from early bulldogs looked more like boxers of today with long tails,read some where pug infusion into the old english bulldog is where the screw tail squatty dogs came from.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: