March 29, 2024, 02:23:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dont want to derail slims post....  (Read 843 times)
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:16:19 pm »

good luck on the puppy search slim. just curious if you are lookin for catchdogs or more for a breeding plan?

jon,you have a very interesting thing goin on down there. and britt  sure cant hurt it any,lol. the female you posted tetris  was the grand daughter of my old pretty patches female and i currently own a grand son of tetris. if i were younger or at least as active with the dogs as i was 10 years ago i would be in texas gettin some dogs from you and britt both im sure.

as for 80 lb or larger standard bred females they are out there just not the norm. i owned one honest 80 pound female and she was fullers/bices miss mabel of sand valley and was a cowboy daughter and out of a bama boy daughter that rayborn had.  gary
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:38:10 am »

What are the chances that they will produce females that mature over 80lbs if they are not the norm.slim i would guess esp if u get the last pics of the litter.
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:23:05 am »

Not the norm for the AB in general but some families produce consistent 80-85lb plus performance females. http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/search.html?q=bullhead&p=4
Not just his dogs but there are programs with similar blood that run large and lack nothing when it comes to athletics. Not just the "performance" blood, some Hines and other programs run big and line bred consistent.

My female from his yard is closer to 90
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=1815583-plugugly-boot-strap-of-bullhead
redriverslim
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

What I'm wanting the female for is to cross with my APBT.  I have been a breeder of performance APBT's for 25 years.  I have been getting a lot of calls from hunters since I posted my APBT AT STUD on this board.  Several have inquired about bringing an AB or DOGO gyp to breed to him, and a few folks are just waiting on their gyps to come in heat.   So I just thought maybe I should get me a really good bred AB gyp out of tested catch dogs going back for several generations.  That way I could make the cross and offer some pups to some good hunters and let them test them out.  I would most likely give the pups away to folks who would raise them and train them the right way, just for the feedback on how the cross worked.  Or I may let folks name their own price they would be willing to pay for a pup and donate the $$$ to the church or a charity.

I just came up with this figure of 70-85 lbs. because my male is 55 lbs. and hopefully it would give me a pup that would mature in the 60-70 lb. range, as that seems to be what a lot of the fellows are telling me is their ideal weight, as long as the dogs are athletic and have wind and leg.  But I wouldn't be opposed to a 50 lb. AB either, just has to be a good dog first . . . above all else.

My male will flat out catch any hog and it takes 2 people to break him off a dead hog, one with a breaking stick and another to choke him out.  However, he is a straight kamikaze idiot, and cannot socialize with other dogs because I didn't raise him.  He could never function as a working catch dog, but some of his pups are making functional dogs with extreme drive and bite.  So my logic is to maybe ad a touch of brains and a dash of self-preservation by crossing him to an AB or DOGO.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, as this cross has been done thousands of times.  I have mainly always used straight game bred APBT's to catch, but I have had 2 good AB's over the years and real good DOGO/PIT cross that was good.  Had a Scott gyp that was a great catch dog, and the first AB I ever owned was back in 1990 out of Sure-Grip's Rip-N-Woody and his mother was either Sheena or Jet, I can't remember.  His name was "Jack The Gripper" and there is a pic of him in that book "The Working American Bulldog". 

So yes, I am looking for one to breed, but she will definitely get tested on hogs first.  I don't hunt much anymore, mainly just enjoy breeding and raising a few pups and trying to put some good dogs out there.  My focus has always been on performance APBT's, but any insight on AB's is appreciated because I really admire that breed too.

A picture of my Stud can be seen at www.redrivergamedogs.com 

Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:29:37 pm »

I remember seeing that pic of Jack the Gripper, good looking dog. I like the cross and know others do as well. Like your saying the dogs should be good to start with, not just throw together a AB and APBT. My crosses, all of them athletes, range from low 60s to high 80s....... http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/search.html?q=bullhead&p=4
Good luck to you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: