April 18, 2024, 02:51:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amerigo / Big White Dogs (BWD) started by Ugly Dog Ranch (UDR)  (Read 15804 times)
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 12:50:33 pm »

I found pictures of Hog Boy and Morgan, DEMoon and his girl Moon, and a few other pictures of some of the white dogs produced with other Out crosses that weren't Amerigos, but ABs and other such catch dogs or the Big White Dogs. that were used working dogs. I would do better handing them off to you and telling You about them rather then writing it all down

RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 10:54:01 pm »

Recent pic of the pups.

Lucy Lou on left, Captain Morgan on right, and Gal, the matriarch of The Ugly Dogs. Thanks for sharing Krystal.

Pickle (Nicke) PJ, Kid, Kimber, and Doodle's Mom. She is also granddam on both sides.

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2015, 03:37:24 pm »

Pups doing great!

RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 04:59:17 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/TexasBoarHounds/posts/745984822167897

liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 11:47:00 pm »

Do any of you guys run these as RCDs or are they all lead ins?

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2015, 07:11:35 am »

Depends on your definition of a RCD... Lol I'm not big on dogs going way out and catching on a big boar hog and getting cut down while we are trying to get to them. We hunt on foot, and our dogs are pretty rangy. If they were to go out .5-1.5 and catch we'd be screwed... Would probably walk up on dead dogs or a dead hog. We normally use these dogs for the stopping power. If a bay breaks out of a boar is walking on em, but won't stand, then we can wait until it sounds off again and send one in from 100-250 out. When we do let any of them go into catch we make sure we are right ur on their tails. They are more than capable of being RDCs, plenty of wind and leg, but just not how we roll if your explanation of a RDC is a CD that runs with your pack.

I guess what I'm saying is we'd rather conserve their energy so they don't expend it on one hog, that way they have the energy to catch more and keep making the long treks that we go on.

I will say with PJ that I've trained her to come back to me if she doesn't catch within 250 or so. If I see she's running and not caught yet, I can normally call her back and get her on a lead. But.... She is like the rest though, and if she sees the hog she's not going to stop. I've definitely had her get let go from 150, then go another 250 with the dogs and finally stop the boar.

So to finally answer your question, we pretty much use them as a lead in CD... But are comfortable letting them go from 100-250yrds to go in and put breaks on.

Myles Man
Strike Dog

100 MPH in the right direction

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2015, 05:37:24 pm »

Sounds like yalls hard work and commitment are paying off, some great looking Bulldogs, good to see those breedings have so much success, congrats

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2015, 11:59:04 pm »

Sounds like yalls hard work and commitment are paying off, some great looking Bulldogs, good to see those breedings have so much success, congrats

X2

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »

Here are some updated pics of the three females I'm keeping.

Sambo5500
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 10:32:37 am »

I have been meaning to post to this thread for a while but just haven't had time lately. You asked if anyone else had any experience with the big white dogs.I have hunted behind 2 different dogs of this cross. My buddy Gentry Barker had a male named Mac that I'm almost positive was from Bryant Davis' Zeus dog. Mac recently passed away but was one of the best handling, nicest, and hardest hitting catch dogs I've been around. Great all around dog. He also has a female now that's about 14 months old that is getting better every time out. Her name is Rosie and she's 5/8 AB and 3/8 dogo. I think Mac was 50/50 split. Both of these dogs were and are great catch dogs with both brains and brawn. Love hunting with them. They could easily be pets they are so friendly. I have pictures of them but nothing ever posts right for me lol. If you would like more information or pictures just ask.
blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 09:03:39 am »

Titan, male pup Dave is keeping.

RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2015, 08:51:47 am »

This is Mac.

Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2015, 02:35:08 pm »

I have been meaning to post to this thread for a while but just haven't had time lately. You asked if anyone else had any experience with the big white dogs.I have hunted behind 2 different dogs of this cross. My buddy Gentry Barker had a male named Mac that I'm almost positive was from Bryant Davis' Zeus dog. Mac recently passed away but was one of the best handling, nicest, and hardest hitting catch dogs I've been around. Great all around dog. He also has a female now that's about 14 months old that is getting better every time out. Her name is Rosie and she's 5/8 AB and 3/8 dogo. I think Mac was 50/50 split. Both of these dogs were and are great catch dogs with both brains and brawn. Love hunting with them. They could easily be pets they are so friendly. I have pictures of them but nothing ever posts right for me lol. If you would like more information or pictures just ask.

Mac was a nice and easy handling catchdog.  He was off an accidental brother X sister cross of Zeus and Comet.  Don't want to burst any bubbles, but out of the litter of 12 pups, only two made the grade.  Mac and his brother Catch.  I believe Catch is still alive and kicking....easy to spot had ears like Dumbo.  Mac started very slow like a lot of these dogs.  We had them going pretty good and Gentry and I went hunting one morning and only took Mac and Catch for catching.  Bayed a big boar and about got a cur dog killed when we sent them and they both got there and went to baying.  Honestly a miracle they made the trip home after that day but they eventually came online and finished out nicely.

I've raised more than a handful of these and if you're patient and don't expect too much too soon most make nice dogs.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2015, 06:20:18 pm »

Depends on your definition of a RCD... Lol I'm not big on dogs going way out and catching on a big boar hog and getting cut down while we are trying to get to them. We hunt on foot, and our dogs are pretty rangy. If they were to go out .5-1.5 and catch we'd be screwed... Would probably walk up on dead dogs or a dead hog. We normally use these dogs for the stopping power. If a bay breaks out of a boar is walking on em, but won't stand, then we can wait until it sounds off again and send one in from 100-250 out. When we do let any of them go into catch we make sure we are right ur on their tails. They are more than capable of being RDCs, plenty of wind and leg, but just not how we roll if your explanation of a RDC is a CD that runs with your pack.

I guess what I'm saying is we'd rather conserve their energy so they don't expend it on one hog, that way they have the energy to catch more and keep making the long treks that we go on.

I will say with PJ that I've trained her to come back to me if she doesn't catch within 250 or so. If I see she's running and not caught yet, I can normally call her back and get her on a lead. But.... She is like the rest though, and if she sees the hog she's not going to stop. I've definitely had her get let go from 150, then go another 250 with the dogs and finally stop the boar.

So to finally answer your question, we pretty much use them as a lead in CD... But are comfortable letting them go from 100-250yrds to go in and put breaks on.

IMO this is just hunting intelligently. Seems most young doggers think you have to have a pack of alligators to catch a running hog, and although you can catch plenty that way, its only one way and IMO is not the best way bc of the time spent doctoring dogs, my loose bay dogs and dogos catch plenty too!  Wink
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2015, 07:58:35 am »

Mac was a nice and easy handling catchdog.  He was off an accidental brother X sister cross of Zeus and Comet.  Don't want to burst any bubbles, but out of the litter of 12 pups, only two made the grade.  Mac and his brother Catch.  I believe Catch is still alive and kicking....easy to spot had ears like Dumbo.  Mac started very slow like a lot of these dogs.  We had them going pretty good and Gentry and I went hunting one morning and only took Mac and Catch for catching.  Bayed a big boar and about got a cur dog killed when we sent them and they both got there and went to baying.  Honestly a miracle they made the trip home after that day but they eventually came online and finished out nicely.

I've raised more than a handful of these and if you're patient and don't expect too much too soon most make nice dogs.
Thanks for posting bud. I really appreciate it. Odd that they went in and bayed... And I guess Krystal didn't realize that They were out of Bro x Sis cross. So the peds are not as in point as I hoped they would be. So far, luckily, I haven't seen any of the ones we have bay... I'm not a big fan of them starting later, but I will say they all around dog mine have seemed to make is nice.

Sambo5500
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:08 am »

I think there might me another dog named Mac from this line of dogs. Gentry said the only time Mac ever bred anything was an accident with one of his curs and he's pretty sure they all died. Said they were good RCD types, just stupid rough. More information on his Rosie dog, he got her from Ronnie Creek. Mom was a full blooded AB and dad was a 3/4 dogo and 1/4 AB. Both supposed to be pretty good. Gentry thinks Rosie is already better than both of the parents.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2015, 09:14:26 am »

Oh ok... Sounds like some good blood to possibly breed to if she is that good. I'd be interested in seeing if you can find anything else about her background out, and possibly seeing if he would be interested in crossing her to a male out of this line as an outcross. Sounds like there are two Macs... Sorry Krystal... Grin lol didn't mean to doubt you! Lol

Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2015, 09:16:07 am »

I don't know of any others from the line named Mac...just the pup I gave Gentry.  None of the dogs off the bro/sis accidental cross were ever bred....unless Catch has been bred.  I believe Krystal had given him to the Holubs.

As far as starting late, that's just a product of the line of dogs.  Some of them had a little softer mouth than what I liked also.  Zeus (not saying the best) but was the HARDEST catching of all the ones I ever hunted around.  Krystal and I have had discussions and have an opinion on why that was so, and believe more of a product on how he was hunted the first year or two of his life than his actual breeding.  I've never owned even since a catchdog with a harder grip.  Zeus was also very hard headed and REALLY liked to hunt.  If a bay broke, he was HELL to get back.

Ryan...if I were looking for an outcross I would try to find the best performance bred full AB you could find.  I personally wouldn't breed ANY more Dogo in...but that's just me.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2015, 09:42:50 am »

Thanks for your advise bud, it's really appreciated. We have two possible full AB outcrosses that are hard catching already and they are pups. Early starters. Blakes male Rock will probably get crossed over PJ if he continues to improve and show the same signs he has been thus far. We have an idea of where we are trying to take the line, but I do like the half/half cross. PJ leans a little more to he Dogo side of he lines, but other than being a winer I don't have any quarrels with her.

Sambo5500
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2015, 11:00:37 am »

Ryan, I will try to get more information on Rosie for you. I will also ask him about his breeding plans for her in the future.
How are you doing Bryant? Hope all is well. How's the CTCS football season going?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: