March 28, 2024, 03:36:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent plotts  (Read 1604 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2015, 03:58:51 pm »

Any lines of good plott hounds out there that are mostly silent dogs? Thinking about getting a pup but I'd prefer a closed mouth dog.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:56:47 pm »

Some of my Plotts cold trail silent but if the hog breaks, they are pretty open. I prefer a dog that opens on a cold track myself but that is just me. Like to give those hogs warning on what is about to come. lol

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 05:48:11 am »

I got one from white deer Creek and he don't say number 2 hot cold nothen tell he is bayed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 02:53:15 pm »

Some of my Plotts cold trail silent but if the hog breaks, they are pretty open. I prefer a dog that opens on a cold track myself but that is just me. Like to give those hogs warning on what is about to come. lol
lol

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
Juan Horton
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 02:10:17 pm »

I am like cajon I like em to sing to me
oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »

I've seen one plot that I KNOW was full blood that was silent but to tell the truth I'm VERY skeptical of any "silent plotts."    Just about anything you breed to a plott will throw brindle dogs and I'm afraid a lot of dog that get called "plott" may not be as "plott" as we think.    Plotts are not silent by nature and although I have seen some, a line that produced a large percentage of silent plotts would cause me to raise and eyebrow a little.   I mean just think about it, what if I had a line of the coldest nosed BMC's you had ever seen but a large percentage opened on track?   We all know what each breeds characteristics are and when we see large numbers of dogs from any breeds preforming in a manner not consistent with what we expect it should not be unreasonable for us to have our doubts about the dogs.    As far as cross breeds goes, I have no problem with cross breeds and in fact some of my best dogs ever were cross bred but it drives me nuts to see someone advertising silent plotts and when the post a picture they have short ears and tight slick coats with white all over their feet.  I personally take it as an insult if someone tries to tell me something I know is incorrect and expects me to buy into it so good luck with you search for "silent plotts."   

By the way, I have never asked anyone but what is the rage with "silent plotts" anyway.  The one I had was average at best and at the time I had her I had 3 or 4 more that barked every breathe and bayed 10x as many hogs???     
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:38:31 pm »

Very good reply Alvin!!

I would be willing to bet that there are more cur dogs that are open than there are plotts that are silent.  A true plott that is silent  probably learned to be silent...and that plot may decide to open on the next hunt.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:35:19 pm »

As a dog hunter getting a hound with the main object to be silent you best off getting a cold nose cur. I don't mind a open dog if the dog is good I really don't see the big deal if it's little open the hog already knows the dog is on em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 12:48:50 am »

To each their own, but reminds me of a something my grandpa said about something else "I wouldn't get a tiger if I wanted spots". lol I thought it was funny when he said it but it still made his point.
Juan Horton
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:13:06 pm »

Alvin that was a great reply, did Jeff get in touch with you?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: