April 26, 2024, 06:18:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the ones that have hog dogs  (Read 13192 times)
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2015, 01:04:09 pm »

How many do you catch a year? The other thread about what a hog dog is has me wondering with all the different opinions. Especially the walk hunters.. How many hogs you catch a year. And I'm sure someone will say it's not how many you catch some have more hogs than others but I would like to get and idea and how many hogs some of you guys actually catch a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:19:58 pm »

Good post. Responses (or lack of responses) should be interesting.
-
I do NOT own a Top Shelf All Around Hog Dog. I catch 15 to 20 hogs a year (shoats not included) on about 25 hunts a year . 
-
I work between 50 and 60 hours a week and only get to hunt weekends outside of deer season and the occasional weekday when I can slip off work. I primarily walk hunt within 3 hours of the DFW Metroplex. We run a solid loose bay strike dog, a couple of gritty/catchy help dogs, and a solid catch dog. None of them are superstars by any means.
-
When I get the occasional opportunity to drive wheat/crop fields, the gritty help dogs do pretty good. Nothing like a top shelf RCD type dog would. I don't even cut our loose bay find dog out in these situations. We definitely catch more hogs this way.
-
We can find them in sign as good as any body. We don't have the ability, grit, athleticism in our pack to catch a real deal running hog. Our loose bay find dog has the bottom to stick with them. Our help dogs do not. The loose bay find dog does not have the grit to make a hog stop if it breaks. We get outclassed from time to time due to these deficiencies. All the spring rain we had created a lot of tall grass and ground cover this year. It has been tough to get them caught this summer.
-
Put us in good sign with unspoiled hogs, our dogs look better than they are.
-
I have hunted hard in years past and put hands on 100+ hogs easy in a year. Not all with my dogs.
-
In my opinion, if you get hogs caught 7 out of 10 times that you start em, you have a top shelf DOG or PACK. I also believe a man will catch more hogs with a solid PACK than they will with a top shelf solo dog. Rough dogs catch more hogs than loose dogs in my opinion. Loose dogs do it with better style, tend to be better in scarce sign, and take less damage doing it in my opinion.
-
How many times does the dog or dogs finish what they start? How effective are they when they get their opportunities? These are the only objective ways to evaluate any dog or dogs. A dog might be a superstar in crop fields and be terrible walk hunting in timber. Let the style/situation debate continue.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »

Glad I got one response after 30 views and no responses I began to wonder lol.

hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:26:04 pm »

50 views and apparently one hog hunter

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:52:31 pm »

Never wrote them down or counted but we usually hunt 2-3 nights a week sometimes more sometimes less but 2 is average. Out of the 2 we catch about 80% of the time and its not uncommon to catch 2 at a time once they find them If we have have 2 or more on the ground.Although we do go through some hot streaks and dry spells due to conditions and pressure on the areas we're hunting. Haven't caught a hog in the last 4 hunts due to the conditions the water is extremely high and the hogs are extremely pressured by goat hunters.We've only jumped a couple in those 4 hunts and they lost the dogs in the water after some 20-30min runs.The other 2 hunts revealed no sign whatsoever.At the beginning of the year I was catching and relocating hogs to my hunting property across the street from my house and in a few months time we put 49 out there.I have friends that have some really good spots that catch way more hogs than me but you can't catch em if they aren't there.Most of the time we catch and release unless hunting for nuisance hogs. Best day we've had this year me and my buddy and 4 dogs tied 7 in just over an hour on the river but that don't happen often where we hunt.All the dogs I run are ruff dogs and I haven't lost one yet.knock on wood.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
labaconchaser
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 06:25:52 pm »

Caught 76 this yr had 62 at end of April but slowed down hunting when warm Louisiana weather comesway I work im gone over half the yr so after it warms up i tend to stay at work more that way when first part of yr comes around I can hunt hard I have all ruff dogs sometimes I even run dog/pit on ground as rcd I dont have best dogs but they get it done in a pinch

them trashy dogs done bayed another hog!!!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 07:22:58 pm »

I hunt year round once to 3 times a week we catch a few here and there. Numbers don't really matter to me nether does size just like to be in the woods with my family and friends and my dogs.

msriverrat
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »

96 this year had to slow down this summer more then usual because of heat and my catchdog dying
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 12:25:46 am »

We catch around 250-300 on avg a year. Right around 225 right now and starting to wind down due to goat season fixing to come in. Avg about two trips a week usually one week night and one weekend morning. Start in February and stop at the end of February and start back in May then stop mid October. May go a few times here and there nov and dec.

Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 01:26:54 am »

We usually catch around 200 or so a year and I hunt the same seasons as you do. this year I had some things come up with my dad getting cancer so I spent what off days I had from work with him and didn't hunt any after I found out he was sick. But my total for the year after turkey season I think is 3 haha. Me and another guy was talking the other day about some of the people on this board and I know they seen this thread cause they comment on everything else on here. Its a big difference in talking about hog hunting and actually having to come up with a number at the end of the year of how many they caught lol. you mention walk hunting, when i was in high school I walk hunted and had number 2ty places to hunt and number 2ty dogs to go with that I just couldn't afford anything to ride. When people tell me they walk hunt I know about what kind of caliber dogs their feeding cause I've had to do it and I know these I got now you couldn't walk behind and keep up with I've hunted with quit a few people over the years and met a lot of people and listened to a lot of talk at the gas stations only to come to the same conclusions most of the time that most people have never seen a hog dog and don't know what one really is. So they have nothing to compare to the number 2 eaters their feeding.
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 01:33:18 am »

This topic had 175 views when I commented on it. More than likely between about 120 of them it aint been 30 hogs tied between all of them. It is a few people on here that have good names for knowing what good dogs are but its a pile of them on here that don't know
brushbusters
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 05:31:11 am »

Never counted em but to throw a # at it Id say chingos

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 07:34:06 am »

Bo Pugh so your saying if you walk hunt your dogs are crap eaters. Well dang I guess I need to get a better job and buy a buggy so they will be better lol

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 07:40:28 am »

Lol if you're dogs are ruff they ain't hog dogs and if you walk hunt they ain't hog dogs lol.wow I might have to gracefully bow out and quite coming on here because the amount dumbasses.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 08:09:51 am »

Cracker this is the main reason I post my thoughts cuz some people say stuff that just ain't the truth. But then again it's really not lies if they believe it its just narrow minded thinking that's all. What ever happened to the days a man said to another man good job fella but that just ain't me and left it at that. Before the modern era all hunting was done off horse back or foot. So I guess all previous dogs from the beginning of the buggy wheeler era where crap eaters lol

Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 08:56:15 am »

Lol if you're dogs are ruff they ain't hog dogs and if you walk hunt they ain't hog dogs lol.wow I might have to gracefully bow out and quite coming on here because the amount dumbasses.
Talking about dumbasses go re read what I posted. I said different caliber dogs. Do you know what that means? the only thing I've ever seen you post that I agree with are the amount of dumbasses its starting to be on here.
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 09:02:23 am »

I don't know why it's bad to walk hunt my dogs will hunt any way u want and catch hogs but I love walk hunting cuz I like to go and find big hog rubs were they live to better my self for the next hunt but I catch about 150 a year I'm not counting baby's like foot ball size but a hog is a hog big or small

oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 09:30:34 am »

I caught 17 last year and thats a good year for me.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 10:16:54 am »

Last year I caught about 60 or so I guess not sure. Got 25 in 5 hunts. It was a decent year. This year on the other hand I have turned dogs out 3 maybe 4 times. Not a single hog caught. January it's on tho. I now have a place to hunt where I moved to and surely it will rain by then.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 10:37:25 am »

You said that if people walk hunt you know the caliber of dogs they feed.How in the F@#& did you become so smart to know the caliber of dogs every walk Hunter feeds?just cause a dog checks in it is a lower caliber dog?Ride your expensive buggy to the boat ramp with your high caliber dogs and leave it there get on a boat with me and I will take you to a place that you can drop your high caliber dogs you can't keep up with then I'll bring you back to your expensive buggy and you can drive it home with a sad face and no more dogs to feed because they're gator sh@t. I never got on here one time and generalized about any hunting dog or hunting style because what works for you damn sure won't work for me. A high caliber dog in your neck of the woods is a dog that will not survive in mine.If you can argue that point than you truly are an ignorant man.I have stated past post I have nothing wrong with long range loose dogs I just have no practical use for one at the moment.Even though I primarily walk hunt I do travel and hunt my dogs in other ways such as road,rig night vision,Airboat sight or wind hunt and catch hogs in all ways so if I can do all this with success then how are these type of dogs a lesser dog?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: