March 28, 2024, 04:01:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Catch Dogs  (Read 10161 times)
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »

damn,ive been hunting hogs here in california for over 39 years and some of the dogs are a 10 way cross or more and not one of em that ran loose and catches solid as a bulldog and never lets go all the time.. how the hell are we  doin it,lol. the dog part is true but im just funnin . this thread is interesting.  gary
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2016, 09:50:22 pm »

There are Cur breeds that are inherently catchy cracker Curs for example many who own them have never owned a bulldog and don't need several to catch a hog.Many can do it all alone and 2 can definitely get the job done. Same goes with the Cambells I own these dogs originated as crosses but have been fine tuned and line bred for a long time. They may not be Rcds but are damn close these are a couple of dogs I run.So I will run a Rcd on the ground with a couple of these dogs and it works really well. Doesn't matter where I put them out either ain't never seen these magical hogs that are uncatchable when people say that a Rcd won't work here or won't work there.A hog is a hog and there are many ways to catch a hog that work and a properly used Rcd can definitely be an asset rather than a liability. I would never put a Rcd on the ground with dogs I wasn't positive would catch hard and till the end with him.In my opinion there are a couple types of hog hunters and hog dogs there's the find em catch em fast type or the find em run the wind out of em then catch em both ways have the same desired ending just a different approach. When running a rough pack paired with a true Rcd then things gain a sense of urgency and intensity. Although I don't think that you loose more dogs this way you do have to get to them as quickly as possible no matter what.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2016, 08:43:57 am »

Good post Blackstreak, I think you make a lot of very good points as well. I agree with you and that is why I want Whitley for exactly those reasons. She hopefully will have the ability to end those races before they really even get started. Also another thing I noticed in my very short limited hunting experience is a tall dog of any type has a big advantage for how he can hold a pig and shoulder up with one. And since I don't want my little strike dog to catch at all and get wrecked and I don't have the ability to run 4+ dogs at once I need that speed and size on my RCD.

Now if I was hunting in areas like some of the videos I seen in Hawaii or New Zealand that is beyond high and thick, I would prob run 3+ short range straight catch dogs like a lot of them do, like the bulldog whippets cat or heeler mixes with a real big dose of bulldog in them, they run a lot of those type mixes from what the couple of shows I have seen said. I have seen them have to go to ground too for a hog in a few times in the New Zealand vids, pretty crazy. 

Now if I did have a smaller RCD that I wanted to use like you Slim I would definitely strategically group it with either another RCD too, and only short range dogs that way like Blackstreak mentions it wouldn't have to anchor one as long. Still preferably though with another RCD, and it wouldn't hurt if those short range bay dogs were gritty too. Just my two cents take it for what its worth.

Will be interesting to see what Whitely does for you for sure.   She is an onry thing to her two bigger brothers.  She wears them out.  Always wanting to play fight with them and always the head and their ears lol.   Anytime I have a different pup out than her and I put them back in the pen with her she emmediatly greets them with an ear hold or a head lock lol.     She loves to run and her stride is already very graceful looking and effortless but of course this will only continue to get better as her body matures.       She will deffenitly be an interesting dog by the time she is 18 months old with the grit she has now.        I socialize her as much as I can but when she gets comfy and starts playing, she is a pest to most dogs the way she just swamps there head and ears.  New dogs to her don't care for that but her brothers are so much like her also that it's no big deal.  They are one another's best friends.    Look out side the kitchen window and you will often see 3 pups caught on one others ear or head and all 3 walking round and round like the spokes of a faris wheel lol.       Don't know how that's gonna play out on your yard lmao.  You might be in for a disaster
       I'll tell you something funny about me and my older dogs, both the stag and finder holders.    I'll let them out of their big pens to stretch out 1 at a time.  After about the 5th or 6th lap around all the pens at about 30 mph it won't be much longer and they will slow down and go exploring so I'll just take a knee and call the dog to me.  Shortly there after I have about 80 lbs of mass screaming at me at 30 mph and it don't look like it's gonna pull up before it gets to me.  That's a lot of momentum baring down on you.  About the time I'm  absolutely sure it's to late and I'm flinching and bracing for impact, the dog stops in my lap and is expressing it's happiness, love and affection.   Now and then one will not get it shut down in time and will hit me hard enough to knock me over lol.    I love it and they know I do.   They aren't allowed to jump on me with their feet though.     After playing with that dog outside the pen for a minute, in it goes and I'll let another out.     
    When I walk in the pens no matter if it's the pen of older dogs or pups, I've learned to keep my jaw gently clinched or they will undoubtedly pop my teeth together with their heads as they are running and jumping around and over one another and up against me.     So long as they don't put their feet on me I'm happy.     
    When  gone, my wife feeds them through holes I cut out in the panels above their feed dishes that hang on the fence.        I love being home and hunting or playing with them.
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2016, 02:07:38 pm »

Will be interesting to see what Whitely does for you for sure.   She is an onry thing to her two bigger brothers.  She wears them out.  Always wanting to play fight with them and always the head and their ears lol.   Anytime I have a different pup out than her and I put them back in the pen with her she emmediatly greets them with an ear hold or a head lock lol.     She loves to run and her stride is already very graceful looking and effortless but of course this will only continue to get better as her body matures.       She will deffenitly be an interesting dog by the time she is 18 months old with the grit she has now.        I socialize her as much as I can but when she gets comfy and starts playing, she is a pest to most dogs the way she just swamps there head and ears.  New dogs to her don't care for that but her brothers are so much like her also that it's no big deal.  They are one another's best friends.    Look out side the kitchen window and you will often see 3 pups caught on one others ear or head and all 3 walking round and round like the spokes of a faris wheel lol.       Don't know how that's gonna play out on your yard lmao.  You might be in for a disaster
       I'll tell you something funny about me and my older dogs, both the stag and finder holders.    I'll let them out of their big pens to stretch out 1 at a time.  After about the 5th or 6th lap around all the pens at about 30 mph it won't be much longer and they will slow down and go exploring so I'll just take a knee and call the dog to me.  Shortly there after I have about 80 lbs of mass screaming at me at 30 mph and it don't look like it's gonna pull up before it gets to me.  That's a lot of momentum baring down on you.  About the time I'm  absolutely sure it's to late and I'm flinching and bracing for impact, the dog stops in my lap and is expressing it's happiness, love and affection.   Now and then one will not get it shut down in time and will hit me hard enough to knock me over lol.    I love it and they know I do.   They aren't allowed to jump on me with their feet though.     After playing with that dog outside the pen for a minute, in it goes and I'll let another out.     
    When I walk in the pens no matter if it's the pen of older dogs or pups, I've learned to keep my jaw gently clinched or they will undoubtedly pop my teeth together with their heads as they are running and jumping around and over one another and up against me.     So long as they don't put their feet on me I'm happy.     
    When  gone, my wife feeds them through holes I cut out in the panels above their feed dishes that hang on the fence.        I love being home and hunting or playing with them.

I don't see it as anything that I cannot correct if I feel it becomes a problem. A little time spent goes a long with dogs. I'm really excited to get her, and really excited about getting out there to Texas in general and meeting up with you. Hopefully we can get out on a hunt or something too while I'm out there. Would love to see Lapua and your other dogs in action. I really like how you describe Whitley and how she is really coming along. I am finding more places out here that she will be perfect for. But I plan on giving her time to mature into her body, and get used to how I do things. Also looking at adding some more rough dogs to run with her.

Text me or call me when you have some time to talk dogs my friend.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: