April 27, 2024, 10:25:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting young in the woods  (Read 3712 times)
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »

So first off, sorry for reviving an old post! But, I didn't want to start a new topic when there are so many on puppy training and this one has some great information! Anyways, my question is this... when doing mock hunts does it make a big difference if you have a pig at the end or if you just use a cut out of hide? I did two mock hunts with my puppies when they were about 3-1/2 months old (same day) and I had a potbelly piglet in a dog kennel at the end. Since then I've made a pen at my house and I currently have a 30lb little boar/shoat in it. Since it is in the back of my fenced in yard, every time I let the puppies out of the kennel they get to go bay as much as they want through the pen. I know that they shouldn't get to bay all the time or they might get burn out and I'm currently in the process of making half of the pen covered so that the pig is only in the fence section when I WANT a dog to see him. As far as doing a mock hunt, the best place is my parents land which is 15 minutes away. But where I am at it is illegal to transport a live hog. I believe you can get a permit as long as you don't cross county lines but I'll have to look in to that more. So that poses the question, is it worth going through the trouble to have a caged/tied pig at the end of the trail? Or will a piece of hide suffice? I really want to focus on doing some drags and mock hunts so that the puppies don't get used to the pig just being there.
This is the way I do it this dog is to young to take to woods or mock hunt yet. So I just get pig legs with hoofs on. Drag it around with my pup in the kennel then let him out and walk to the first part of the scent let him work it out from therehttps://youtu.be/1gUhpgo6aDw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: