April 23, 2024, 11:53:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dog range qustion  (Read 2081 times)
dodo1987
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2015, 05:58:54 pm »

Do yall like a dog that blows out as soon as it hits the ground like lets say ranges out 500-600 yards before hunting or do you like a dog that sticks around  little closer

Actions speak louder then words..... There's nothing better then seeing your dogs work a good hog
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 06:40:43 pm »

My best strike dog doesn't go much further than 400 and might touch 600 yards just hunting for a track to run. She strikes most of our hogs and she's short range to me. My RCD hunts 6-800 soon as you turn him out. And I don't like that for 2 reasons, first being he's straight catch and so a big hog 1000 yards away could whoop him. And I think he passes up a good amount of hogs over time because he blows out so hard. My lead dog consistently strikes with him 1-200 yards farther out.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »

So to answer your question I think I like a mix of both. If you can run dogs whose average range over laps a little to me would be ideal

Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 11:41:19 pm »

My dogs strike out 300 to 400 out the box then come right back. That is when they start hunting. If they hit a real hot track first pass they leave out. I like a dog that work thorough from 1-400 out. I can average about 3-4mph and my dogs will yo yo from 1 to 400.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
ED BARNES
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:42:04 pm »

My dogs range about 1/2 to a mile, i like it that way, where i hunt there arent many hogs and a dog needs to get out there and cover a lot of ground.  I prefer a medium dog - 600-900 yds but they usually start going deeoer and deeper

Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 03:59:09 pm »

Most of my dogs cast out and hunt.  Range depends on the size of the place we are hunting.  We have a lot of huge tracts of heavy timbered ground so a lot of times they will hunt out 2-3 miles and circle back a few times before they decide to leave the area. 
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 04:04:57 pm »

Most of my dogs cast out and hunt.  Range depends on the size of the place we are hunting.  We have a lot of huge tracts of heavy timbered ground so a lot of times they will hunt out 2-3 miles and circle back a few times before they decide to leave the area. 

DAMN

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:00:31 pm »

X2 Dallas

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 06:01:11 pm »

That's hunting there boys

oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 06:32:26 pm »

You obviously have more spare time on your hands than I do if you can sit around and wait for dogs to make circles like that.    Wow, have you ever tried taking them to some place with hogs?
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 07:12:45 pm »

Mine will cast, but I take a lot of range out of em by track hunting em. I want them to take a track at 2-3 pm, and that means it's COLD, they can't blow past it or they'll never know a hog walked there.
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »

You obviously have more spare time on your hands than I do if you can sit around and wait for dogs to make circles like that.    Wow, have you ever tried taking them to some place with hogs?

I'm in Missouri so hogs are few and far between at times. The area I hunt is 985 square miles of timber with a few fields dotted around here and there. The hogs get down in the bottoms of some pretty serious hollows sometimes and are a log ways from any road.

I run hounds and hound crosses so for them to hunt an area out like that does not take them all day. I also have catahoulas but they will only cast out to about 6-800 yards and circle back. The hounds on the other hand will hunt and keep hunting.

As far as spare time, father of 3 and a 60 hour work week, I'm a weekend warrior unless we get a snow, then I burn some days to hunt. I've spend hours and hours riding around looking for sign to turn dogs loose on, or I can cast some dogs, and continue to ride and look for sign while their hunting. I run a garmin alpha with an antenna on top of the truck. I can track around 5-6 miles with it so while the dogs are hunting, I can be driving looking for sign.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 08:29:38 pm »

Jeez....that must be one heck of a plot of land........

Louisiana is 859 miles straight line from ms to tx on I-10
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 08:34:16 pm »

Jeez....that must be one heck of a plot of land........

Louisiana is 859 miles straight line from ms to tx on I-10

Majority is mark twain national forest with some federal land. The 985 is square miles, not straight line.

There is a lot of private ground in parts of it as well.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 08:38:04 pm »

I gathered...it was not straight line.

And after further thought from my truck driving days ms to tx thru la is 880 I think...

But damn...I'd have to use me some hounds and clear a wknd slate total  for something like that!

Thats huge for sure!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 08:55:39 pm »

Dang that's 550000 acres that's crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 08:55:51 pm »

I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong. Just used my measuring program and the area we hunt is roughly 500 square miles. I snap shot the screen but can not get it to upload for some reason.

I hate to admit that I measure a lot of field boundaries for a living but I guess the large area didn't red flag me.

When I first measured everything I measured all the areas we have hunted before, which together is roughly 1000 square miles. A lot of government ground in southern mo.
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »

Here is roughly the area we hunt majority of the time.

dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:57 pm »

Ive talked to a guy that ran plotts and he told me the same thing about his hounds that they run miles with no problem. I was thinking this guy is just talking out of his a$$ . But there must be some truth to it cuase this not the first time ive heard something like this.

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 09:07:23 pm »

Ive talked to a guy that ran plotts and he told me the same thing about his hounds that they run miles with no problem. I was thinking this guy is just talking out of his a$$ . But there must be some truth to it cuase this not the first time ive heard something like this.

We are still green at hog huntin with dogs. We have only been doing it for 4 years. But we've had running hounds for years. Just changed the game we hunt. These cross dogs and tree dogs don't have the full bottom that a running hound does, but can flat cover some ground. Back in the coyote huntin days, we ran walkers and walker July crosses. They could flat lay it to a coyote for many miles and many hours.

When we started hog huntin we got some catahoulas. We would have races but if they didn't get it stopped in a mile or so they would quit and come back. Also were having trouble in sign that was a little old, dogs weren't doing well. So we added some tree stock to our pack and bred some cross dogs and still have the catahoulas. The hounds work out good in this country, and we went back to the way we knew how to hunt.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: