April 29, 2024, 10:43:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snake bite vacc  (Read 3090 times)
Hipshooter
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:07:17 pm »

Do any of u hog hunters Vacc your dogs for  snake bite?
If so  I would like to know the name of the vacc.
I understand there is a vacc u give once a year.
jlingle
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:43:20 pm »

I know of a vaccine called Red Rock.  It's a little less than $20 per dog & you give it to the dog, then a follow up about 30 days later.  We have a crapload of rattlers around here, and my vet swears it works wonders.  For what it's worth, I've used it on my dogs.  Never really needed it yet, but I've used it.
TT
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:31:22 pm »

does it have to be done buy the vet or can i just buy it there and do it my self
Clay
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:01:32 pm »

I think it was matt who had a incident with a rattler after the anti venom ill let him tell you about it.

Texas Dog Hunters Association
Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association
Coastal Conservation Association
texasgirl
Hog Dog Pup

TexySexan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:15:43 am »

does it have to be done buy the vet or can i just buy it there and do it my self

I believe it is only sold by veterinarians. If you are "in good" with a Dr. they may let you buy enough for your dogs and do them yourself. You have to give the vaccine below the knee on the back leg and try to get it under the layer of fat to avoid a reaction. It is not exactly like a regular vaccine.
I think it was matt who had a incident with a rattler after the anti venom ill let him tell you about it.

It's actually not an anti venom it's a vaccine that builds antibodies before any bite, an anti-venom is used immediately after a bite.  Wink
We've seen dogs that have been vaccinated and then bitten by rattlers/copperheads and had literally no reaction. A tiny bit of swelling at the site of the bite and that's about it. I think it's a very good thing for dogs in high risk areas.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:18:35 am by texasgirl » Logged

--Lindsey
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 07:25:01 am »

Here's a link to the mfg.'s website

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
TT
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 06:38:27 pm »

called the vet and they said it was about $40 a dog
jlingle
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:01:49 pm »

That's nuts.  I gave either $18 or $19 per dog.  I bought the vaccines and administered them myself. I don't remember if it was IM or sub-q, but the vet will tell you.  It shouldn't be near that high.
texasgirl
Hog Dog Pup

TexySexan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:26:55 pm »

That's nuts.  I gave either $18 or $19 per dog.  I bought the vaccines and administered them myself. I don't remember if it was IM or sub-q, but the vet will tell you.  It shouldn't be near that high.

They were probably quoting for the booster vaccine that you are supposed to do one month later. In high risk areas the manufacturer recommends vaccinating and then boostering again in one month. That would make it about $40 total per dog.

--Lindsey
TT
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »

yes that was with the booster cooper heads are already bad this year and its just getting hot we already had a dog dy last month got bit 3 times once on the leg and twice on the chest
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: