April 25, 2024, 02:57:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce pups to pigs. Take them to woods  (Read 2348 times)
cowboyup
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:24:28 pm »

I know everybody is different when it comes to puppies. But when do y'all introduce them to a Shoat in a pen? And when do y'all like to start taking them to the woods? What's yalls process for it?
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:54:08 pm »

I will agree with that for the most part I do about the same thing. One thing I do once there doing good but still young I say 10 months to 1 yr or so I will put them on a good size rank hog to test there metal.  This is so I know what they will do with a big dog and alone this will pay off ten fold so you know how to pair that dog for hunting. And it gives the dog its best chance to be successful 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:36:50 pm »

I wait til they're 10-12 months show them a hog tied to a tree in the woods with a dog that'll bay a hog then once they start baying pull them off and take them to the woods

Seth Gillespie
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:27:01 am »

I like fast starting dogs. I don't hunt anymore but when I did I didn't like waiting 2 years for a dog.
6 months I throw them in pen with older dogs. Having older dogs in there to me is the key.
If they were not interested by 1yr old they went bye bye.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:04:11 am »

If u have access to hogs in a pen let the pups work on the outside of the pen. They'll let you know when they want to go in if you're paying attention. We've had pups turn it on and go in at 4 months, so i go off of how they act. If they act like they want in then they go in. Lol then depending on how that goes, we start working on mock hunts and then going to the big woods with the big dogs. Gotta be able to pay attention to the dog and know when they are able to keep up and hang with the big dogs.

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 12:33:40 pm »

I've noticed many of the pups I've raised are crazy about game from 4-6 months old but mellow out after that and if I don't let them mess with a pig until they're a year they are harder to get started, so I like to let them mess with a shoat when they first show interest, I'll throw 3 or 4 in together with a shoat, and then I'll put Em in individually three or four times and praise them, it's a good chance to evaluate their natural drive as well, then I'll pen Em up till they get past their independent stage and not take them to the woods until they start acting mature, like not goofing off and lifting their leg to pee, usually around 10-14 months

I'm sure many others on here have raised more pups than me, but this has worked well for me

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Mr. Oinker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 04:53:31 pm »

If u have access to hogs in a pen let the pups work on the outside of the pen. They'll let you know when they want to go in if you're paying attention. We've had pups turn it on and go in at 4 months, so i go off of how they act. If they act like they want in then they go in. Lol then depending on how that goes, we start working on mock hunts and then going to the big woods with the big dogs. Gotta be able to pay attention to the dog and know when they are able to keep up and hang with the big dogs.

I took some new dogs I was trying out (10 months old) to a penned hog about 20 pounds and they barked initially so I decided to put them in the pen. They were scared to death and hid in the corner, trying to climb out and get away. Granted the hog was pretty rowdy for his size but should I give them more time or is that a pretty obvious sign to cull them and not waste my time?
Mr. Oinker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 08:08:08 pm »

Oinker put those same dogs in with a few experienced dogs. You'll see a difference.
I'll give that a try, thanks.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:06:30 am »

I took some new dogs I was trying out (10 months old) to a penned hog about 20 pounds and they barked initially so I decided to put them in the pen. They were scared to death and hid in the corner, trying to climb out and get away. Granted the hog was pretty rowdy for his size but should I give them more time or is that a pretty obvious sign to cull them and not waste my time?
I can't say I'd go to culling just yet man. At 10 months they were scared? And after barking at hogs from the outside...? Hard to just call it without seeing the dogs, but if that isn't what you're looking for then do what you need to do. It's all about knowing the dogs your raising as well, and paying attention to what they're doing or not doing. Some dogs just don't like pens... Seen that plenty of times. So I can't say id call it at just that... At 10 months and they're barking at hog from outside of the pen, I'd put em one at a time in the big woods and see what they do with the bigger dogs in the woods. Not all at once, but one at a time that way there isn't other puppies to play with and see what they do then. Or you can put together a mock hunt and tie the hog to a tree like was posted before, and see how they act outside of a pen. Sounds to me like just more work and exposure needs to be into those pups. Can I ask what breed they are?

Mr. Oinker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 12:38:41 pm »

I can't say I'd go to culling just yet man. At 10 months they were scared? And after barking at hogs from the outside...? Hard to just call it without seeing the dogs, but if that isn't what you're looking for then do what you need to do. It's all about knowing the dogs your raising as well, and paying attention to what they're doing or not doing. Some dogs just don't like pens... Seen that plenty of times. So I can't say id call it at just that... At 10 months and they're barking at hog from outside of the pen, I'd put em one at a time in the big woods and see what they do with the bigger dogs in the woods. Not all at once, but one at a time that way there isn't other puppies to play with and see what they do then. Or you can put together a mock hunt and tie the hog to a tree like was posted before, and see how they act outside of a pen. Sounds to me like just more work and exposure needs to be into those pups. Can I ask what breed they are?

I also tried them with the same pig tied to a tree and they wouldn't go near it or even bark anymore. Just whined and ran in the opposite direction.  One is 3/4 BMC 1/4 pit, the other is 1/2 BMC 1/2 Catahoula. They are both very timid dogs in general and I have trouble disciplining them or correcting them at all because they are so skiddish. I know the guy I got the 1/2 BMC 1/2 Cat from and he has videos of the same dog working great in a pen. I don't understand. Maybe the other dog, who acts very immature at times, is holding this one back? Either way I am contemplating culling them just due to the fact that I can't get a handle on them at all, much less get them to show some drive for hunting. Even when I try to catch them just to pet on them they lay down and piss all over themselves.
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »

How long have you owned them for? Id do what blastin said or do a mock hunt with an experienced dog they are familiar with. Some are just late bloomers, they might not even be interested in a hog for another six months. I like to let them be on the outside of the pen and have an experienced dog on the inside til the young ones show intense interest not just a little barking. You can't push Em, if they aren't interested then wait a month and try again. I had a pup go from running away from the pen scared to catching on the ear in one month

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
jstankus
Bay Dog

Cracker Curs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 02:14:58 pm »

I do not have a pen to use, so I just buddy them up with a experienced dog in the dog pen and send them in the woods. It takes a while but they eventually catch on. I have seen dogs bay great in a pen then see them regress in the woods. But if I had a pen I would tease them a few times a week and make them want it more then let them bay. In the past 3 years hog hog doggin, I have learned to must have patience. Everything takes time, but keep working hard at it and it will come.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 02:22:16 pm »

I do not have a pen to use, so I just buddy them up with a experienced dog in the dog pen and send them in the woods. It takes a while but they eventually catch on. I have seen dogs bay great in a pen then see them regress in the woods. But if I had a pen I would tease them a few times a week and make them want it more then let them bay. In the past 3 years hog hog doggin, I have learned to must have patience. Everything takes time, but keep working hard at it and it will come.
Great advice right there... Constant exposure is a must, but patience is the key. You have to have some real expectations though. Knowing what you're looking for from the dogs. We normally expect our pups to start turning it on anywhere from 4-8 months... Or at least start showing some interest. If they haven't turned it on before that time period is up, I'm questioning why and wtf is going on. Some dogs/breeds are late bloomers like what's said above, but you still have to have some lines drawn out to what you expect, and what expectations are going to have to be met, and if they don't meet those expectations then, C.C. And C!

Mr. Oinker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »

Great advice right there... Constant exposure is a must, but patience is the key. You have to have some real expectations though. Knowing what you're looking for from the dogs. We normally expect our pups to start turning it on anywhere from 4-8 months... Or at least start showing some interest. If they haven't turned it on before that time period is up, I'm questioning why and wtf is going on. Some dogs/breeds are late bloomers like what's said above, but you still have to have some lines drawn out to what you expect, and what expectations are going to have to be met, and if they don't meet those expectations then, C.C. And C!

That's my exact issue. I have had them since they were 6 months and I tried letting them mature and get used to me but they refuse, and I am questioning how many chances are too many, and how many pointless months of feeding them is too many. It frustrates me to see/hear of several different 6-7 month old pups doing way better than my dogs that are almost a year. I understand every dog is different but I am trying to minimize time wasted.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:33 pm »

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up...

Mr. Oinker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 08:23:49 am »

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up...

I guess so.. It would only be my second time to cull a dog ever so I guess I was just looking for some conformation that I wasn't making some big mistake. Thanks for the input guys.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 08:41:13 am »

Hard to give that kind of advice over the interwebs man... Good luck either way.

jstankus
Bay Dog

Cracker Curs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:52 am »

I only train one puppy at a time and only hunt one puppy at a time. When you buddy them up with a experience rangy dog in a pen and let them hunt with them they tend to leave your feet and range. Most of our curs won't turn on until 12-18 months, but some are ready to roll 7-9 months. My breaking point is the 18-24 months. The first years I ran into the same issue, but know that my pack is strong it's easier to get a dog going how I like. It's growing pains for sure. What really stinks, is when you give the dog to a buddy and he starts turning it on for them......  Wink
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 02:12:58 pm »

I only train one puppy at a time and only hunt one puppy at a time. When you buddy them up with a experience rangy dog in a pen and let them hunt with them they tend to leave your feet and range. Most of our curs won't turn on until 12-18 months, but some are ready to roll 7-9 months. My breaking point is the 18-24 months. The first years I ran into the same issue, but know that my pack is strong it's easier to get a dog going how I like. It's growing pains for sure. What really stinks, is when you give the dog to a buddy and he starts turning it on for them......  Wink

I agree with jstankus. If you think ten mos old is to old to be not baying a hog in a pen, then cull it, but if it comes from good stock it will probly turn on in the next few months and you are just being impatient, that said, when you are first starting out it makes it more enjoyable if you have a fast starting pup. Since you don't have a fast starter you need to do what you can to support your pup and where they're at and bond with them, which it doesn't sound like you are doing. I had a pup that didn't show any interest in game til he was ten mos and was striking his own at a year. A couple months is barely long enough for many pups to trust you

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Mr. Oinker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 05:02:19 pm »

I agree with jstankus. If you think ten mos old is to old to be not baying a hog in a pen, then cull it, but if it comes from good stock it will probly turn on in the next few months and you are just being impatient, that said, when you are first starting out it makes it more enjoyable if you have a fast starting pup. Since you don't have a fast starter you need to do what you can to support your pup and where they're at and bond with them, which it doesn't sound like you are doing. I had a pup that didn't show any interest in game til he was ten mos and was striking his own at a year. A couple months is barely long enough for many pups to trust you

From what you're saying it sounds like I should only cull the pup from stock that I don't know anything about and don't believe is very good from the shadiness of the seller when I got him. I think he is holding the other pup back because I have started to notice a decline in the maturity of the "better" pup. The "better" pup is from stock that I've seen work and really although he is a little younger, he is more mentally mature than the other pup and he has worked in a bay pen for his previous owner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: