April 25, 2024, 02:28:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hairy dog question  (Read 1052 times)
dodo1987
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »

Iam curious about them the good the bad whats working for you. And where do you use them most

Actions speak louder then words..... There's nothing better then seeing your dogs work a good hog
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:47:13 am »

Hard to answer that without giving a 10 page write up detailing the pros and cons of the differences throughout the finder holder class of dogs.     I'll try to keep it generic but finder holders / hairy dogs cover about as broad a spectrum as bay dogs do, depending on what influences are in their background and which direction the breeding program was taken  by the person or people responsible  for the particular line of dogs.
      In general they are big athletic dogs that are agile for their size and fast.  They should be very hunt smart using their nose, eyes, and ears to hunt by.    Finder holders will generally be dogs very capable of 1 out style hunting.     These dogs will be as intellegent as they are hard.   Sometime it takes getting a little banged up a little to learn but learn they will or they are culls for such type work.       
     You could pretty much just have 3 good hairy dogs and have all the dogs you need if you was a hard hunter.  They give many years of good hard service and to most people's surprise suffer far less injury then most lead in catch dogs or semi rough bay dogs.        You really don't have any races with finder holders nor do you loose many pigs.      Finder holders are suitable  to work in any environment  that is home to the pig.  Finder holders that work the forested mountains might be a little different than the ones used by people that do a lot of  farmland hunting but either dog will do fine in either situation but when compared to one another, the dogs will be tweeked a little different for their predominant environment.
     You shouldn't take this style of dog hunting with your buddies curs because generally the two styles are not  conducive  to one another.    Good way to loose dogs or get them hurt hunting them irresponsibly  like this.         Speaking of responsibility, there is a level of responsibility with these dogs much the same with other catch dogs.    They will catch a pig anywhere anyplace and if you slip up you loble  to have a dog caught on a pig without a vest on.    I have to be  very careful of this where I live.       
      These dogs are not aggressive to humans but must be socialized with cats and chickens etc.    They are not normally dog aggressive  either BUT they are dominate dogs.      A lot of hairy dogs like mine have lot of deerhound influence and as a result knowing the ins and outs of deerhound and similar type dogs will help a person better understand such dogs, from their character, to their hunt style, to their maturity rate, to their needs and requirments.   Any dog that does the job of a finder holder needs not only to have the physical stature for such a job and the athleticism and brains, but it must also be fit enough to perform the work.      A lot of my dogs live together in big pens and I can enter change them, but I have some that I won't dare pen together at home but they hunt together very well and also share a small kennel together at deer camp, go figure.       Not a lot of bad stuff about these dogs other than waiting for some lines of them to mature eventhough you can use them and catch a lot of pigs with them before they are 1 out type hard that will straight up catch a standing type bring it to the dog rank boar.    Am immature finder holder usually wont catch this boar by itself but will in time.as a mature adult.    If people were to get these types of dogs  as pups and  not fully understand what they were getting, they would cull what would have been an outstanding dog just because they use their knowledge of bulldogs and curs to make judgments about these dogs when they are young and usable but not mature and 1 out hard yet.       
     Some hunt far, some hunt close.   Can be hunted same as a hood dog, cast,  etc.    Just about anyway you hunt a BMC you can hunt a finder holder.   I've had people ask questions comparing them to scent hounds.  They aren't scent hounds.  If you really know scent hounds, you know the hunt style differences between them and curs and no they don't hunt like a scent hound but are pretty similar to amost curs.         
     Very difficult to breed for finder holders here in the US because most of the good breeds that finder holders are comprised of, are not hunted anymore and are just kinda pet breeds now.     Great foundation stock  would be a long search and out crossing your line to a pure breed dog that's a jam up hog dog just might throw a huge monkey wrench into your line of dogs because that dog that pure dane that works so great as a finder holder was bred form pets of pets of pets of pets.       I'm sure their is a ton of general stuff I've left out and wished I'd put in here  but maybe this will satisfy for now and bring about a better understanding to some of the good and the bad and the not so obvious or unknown
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:17:03 pm »

Think I forgot to mention that these dogs do best when hunted no more than 2 at a time.   If a person wished, they can hunt their dog 1 out and even when hunting 2 dogs, often times each dog will be caught on their own pig, so they really need to be able to be 1 out type dogs eventhough they are generally hunted in pairs.     3 finder holders hunting together is usually counter productive because it teaches bad habits if your running a 3rd dog that's inexperienced.     Also some are finicky about being crowded and kinda like their space when holding a pig while others will knock dogs off in order to get an ear.       Dogs with heavy sight hound influence will a lot of times catch on the front leg or back leg if both ears are taken, eventhough their concentric circle centers  on the head.    This is a big reason I myself don't like running a 3rd dog if any of the dogs are young.  I just asoon their brains be wired for the ear instead of them progressing to it.   
    2 dogs is plenty on a big boar and more than one dog to a side will cause the dog to hold differently than it normally would and not pay as much attention to the pig as it normally would.   Further more it's easier to manage 2 dogs on a caught pig when your tying than it is 3.
dodo1987
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 01:30:31 pm »

How dose bringing something like  wolfhound or deer hound to lets say a leggy Line of Catahoula lets say my dogs wind well and were seeing the pigs at 400plus and the dogs are just getting smoked its open scrub b brush type flats and like I said we can see the pigs at a good distance and watch the dogs fall off

Actions speak louder then words..... There's nothing better then seeing your dogs work a good hog
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:12:44 pm »

When u cross 2 dogs of different backgrounds, the resulting pups hunting style can't be predicted.
dodo1987
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:21:07 pm »

Can you give me more info on a one out kind of hunting and general finder holders hunting abilty and being soild catchdogs

liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 09:49:01 pm »

How dose bringing something like  wolfhound or deer hound to lets say a leggy Line of Catahoula lets say my dogs wind well and were seeing the pigs at 400plus and the dogs are just getting smoked its open scrub b brush type flats and like I said we can see the pigs at a good distance and watch the dogs fall off

throw a couple stag hounds with your strike dogs and youll slay em

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 12:54:57 am »

throw a couple stag hounds with your strike dogs and youll slay em

More likely to slay the stags than good big that way.  If your pack needs and rcd to stop pigs then your rcds are probably miss matched to the hunt style and you gonna get them in a bind
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 01:03:14 am »

Crossing a sight hound to a bay dog is gonna be about the same thing as a gritty bay dog.   Lot of pigs will back that dog up.  It will bist bays etc.      Not good enough for catching and not bred for baying.   Would really only see dogs like this working effeciently together when run in packs.          If your seeing pigs and their smoking your curs, just send full blood stags to them.  They will catch most and usually wont get hurt from what's to big for them to handle.  To get the really big hogs with stags, you usually need a little harder dog but that big hog ain't going no where with two stags stopping him.   They will for the pig to stand and fight because if he runs they will catch, he will just back them up when he fights them normally.    Good pit sent in to catch and the stags will catch with it. 
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 01:04:40 am »

Can you give me more info on a one out kind of hunting and general finder holders hunting abilty and being soild catchdogs

Click on my handle, read the pages of messages
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: