April 25, 2024, 10:08:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prospects  (Read 11102 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 08:33:48 am »

The bird bull was an accidental litter from a buddy. We will see what happens with him but if he catches hard with no regrip what's the difference between him and a 50 lb pit? The 9 pups I have right now we're not on purpose but I know which 2 dogs it was and I'm not completely upset about it. The pups of that litter I'm not keeping are going to people I know that will cull if it don't make a dog. Cracker, honestly, believe it, don't believe it, whatever you want. But the words you just told me about spreading unproven dogs has come out of my mouth plenty times to the 2 boys I hunt with. They laugh about it but I'm more than serious. As for the whole self admitted good dogs thing, I'll probably never have dogs I like and say are good, but that's because there's always better and I'll always want better. So what is good compared to the greatest? Especially when none of us know for sure what the greatest was/is. I got told by a land owner 2 weeks ago. "Yalls dogs are badass..." You can bet I was smilin like a jackass eating cactus but all I could think is "if he knew of other dogs he'd quit letting us hunt here cause mine suck". Cracker I'm not upset, people who care about the sport are the kind I enjoy whether they like me or not.   Also, my pancho pup wasn't bred by anyone I know, rather a friend of a friend and that whole group seems to be doing great with their breeding and swapping pups. The Catdo pup also isn't mine, it came from Mr.Douglas mason.
 The sire to the litter I just had is a good dog, people with what I think are awesome dogs have said it and I believe it. The Dam, well she was ruined by my uncle and it's why I got her. She's coming around and still might earn some feed on my yard. But the blood she comes from is stupid good and yeah it's a roll of the dice but that's why these pups aren't going to places with people I don't know. Yes I posted the ad, then after talking to all my friends that hunt realized I had but 1 left for a home and I'm trading him for a pup off a litter a friend is fixing to have... Not upset or offended. You inquired so I felt obligated to answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 01:24:04 pm »

Exactly the response I was expecting. Some people just know way more than they know and I believe that you my friend are one.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »

Cracker I apologize that you feel that way. But if me taking a gamble on a litter is what you think is the problem with this sport, well then we have completely different views. I've made a lot of good friends with what I think are good dog men with better dogs. A couple of them have thought enough of me to hand over some of the blood and dogs they've raised and worked with. I ain't gonna blow my own horn but I'm confident in the attitude I have when it comes to my approach to the dogging game and as long as that's a fact I'm not gonna be upset everyone someone disagrees with it

cscott
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »

The reason people like us has to breed there own mutts is bc all the great dog breeder that has had these great dogs to so long like you say. You cant get dogs from them they all go to there friend so it goes back to having to breed our own mutts. And its no different then anybody we all learn from our mistakes on what to do an what not to do. And telling people there to dumb to do something has never done anyone any good.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 01:50:17 pm »

Blastin. That's what I'm trying to do buddy. I caught around 30 hogs In 5 months last year. I'm at 18 so far this year. Between help from good friends and my own culling of dogs I finally decided weren't for me or anyone else. My young dumb naive behind likes to think I'm making some sort of progress.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 01:58:35 pm »

Ok hold on. Chris just made a hell of a point. Cracker. You told me I shouldn't be breeding because I haven't been around long enough and don't have good dogs. So let me ask you, how the heck am I supposed to acquire good dogs because like you just said when you breed your so called good hunting mutts, the pups will stay between you and your buddies. Same goes for just about any one with "good dogs". So basically your either telling me you don't want us blue collar boys who weren't born in to this sport having dogs, or I'm supposed to just get on Facebook and but every body else's culls rather than breed and cull mutts that I atleast know where they come from and enjoy feeding.... Riddle me that one batman

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 02:30:50 pm »

I got two prospects that are litter mates they are 2 1/2 yrs old. Hunt bout like I like bay how I like and can find and bay there own hog. The proses of those two was five yrs. the previous two took five yrs. wether there as good or better than any one else dogs I don't care but they have done the job for me and that's what counts. But I do think people breed way to much

dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 02:39:39 pm »

Slim as long as your culling an not being dog peddler. Do as you please as long as your looking to making a better dog.

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
cscott
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »

If I could get pups from mike an these other guy that has good lines of dog I would never want to breed a dog I hate dealing with it I just cant find dogs I like any other way.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 03:02:23 pm »

I breed because I want better dogs. I cull because I want better dogs. I've sold on dog and guess what happened. She got dumped on the side of the road for some crap I know she didn't pull. Dallas22 has a jagd from me and my buddy. Paid a good amount of money for her. We couldn't get a handle on her so we gave her to him. Not sold. I have my red gyp and my buddy Dawson has his dizzy gyp, we could sell em. They ain't worth too much but they'll go hunting and have struck plenty hogs for us. We're giving them to a kid who loves dogs and hunting hogs. No peddling going on here is what I'm getting at. I cull what I don't like. Chris knows that well enough. He's been around me for a couple months and seen me cull some dogs me and him thought were holding my pack back and not worth feeding. Now I've got a ton of pups and I'll continue to cull my worst dog every few months

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 04:04:54 pm »

There's no riddle don't breed junk dogs and don't fool yourself by thinking just because you cull dogs you know what you're doing.Do as you may but I don't have to agree with it.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
cscott
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 04:20:28 pm »

Ok right or wrong how should someone one go by getting good dogs with out dropping a lot of cash that most of us dont have please educate me
DCHD14
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 04:37:56 pm »

Slim, looks like you got enough brindles on your hands lol. Good lookin dogs everyone... Here is a couple of my up and comer catch dog prospects

DCHD14
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 04:38:23 pm »

dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 04:48:01 pm »

I like them red nose dogs how they breed ?

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
DCHD14
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 04:55:47 pm »

Well I can tell you what I was told. They are supposed to be old carver over dagger.. Idk nothin about the dagger line but I've had a carver dog and he was awesome.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 05:00:45 pm »

Those are good looking pups bud. I'm a big fan of the game pits. Ain't had the pleasure of owning one yet, but sure have got to look at some good ones

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 05:02:15 pm »

Slim, looks like you got enough brindles on your hands lol. Good lookin dogs everyone... Here is a couple of my up and comer catch dog prospects

I really thought that litter was gonna be about half and half cause of how crossed up they are, but boy that brindle showed up through and through.

liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 05:04:28 pm »

well Im pretty new at this too, but I did breed deer dogs for years, without much experience, I did read many books. the reason I started breeding is because I was always last or close to it on the puppy list and was not getting the type of dogs I wanted, so I started buying females from good lines and then I would pay a stud fee and breed my best females to successful breeders best males, and started having excellent dogs, compared to what was available to buy as pups.
Now I can see hog dogs the same way, if you dont have access to good pups or can be of the first few picks of a litter. And a young man cant afford to keep buying pups. that said, there has got to be many guys on here that have a litter every now and then of excellent proven dogs that would give slim a pup for free or cheap, maybe anyone whos willing to criticize him might have a lead on where he can acquire a proper pup.
In california it is way more difficult to find a decent line of dogs, as there are not that many hog doggers, I would think in Texas it would not be difficult.
I will never buy another pup again, the ones Ive bought do not compare to the ones given to me.

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 05:15:29 pm »

There's no riddle don't breed junk dogs and don't fool yourself by thinking just because you cull dogs you know what you're doing.Do as you may but I don't have to agree with it.
your damn right, I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm figuring it out on my own. Also, how do you know I keep junk dogs? Because I call em junk? Well, you call your dogs good but that don't mean they are. I catch hogs the same as you, with dogs. Not my fault if you over think it. And you still haven't answered me and Chris question. How do I go about getting a pup off of Mike or Justin or Cajun or anyone with good dogs without paying money I don't have to spend or being their best friend? I don't blame them for wanting to keep their dogs close, so why blame me for breeding the dogs that produce pigs that I do have access to to try to improve my pack? Essentially those brindle pups of mine are from a good sire and a brood bitch that's from good blood. I've seen and heard of that kind of breeding go on a lot. I'm not trying to sell one of these pups to you and I haven't lied to anyone about what they are from. So what's bothering you ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: