April 26, 2024, 05:07:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hog hunting knives  (Read 8031 times)
alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:23:25 pm »

What do you guys look for in a good hog hunting knife? I'm curious because I'm thinking of making some knives. I got a 5 gallon bucket full of railroad spikes and I've been itching to do something with them.

Life's not a bitch,life's a beautiful woman. You just call her a bitch because she won't let you get that p#$$y - Aesop Rock
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »

this is a pig knife. Custom made by a buddy out of an old farriers rasp. She's my baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 10:45:41 pm »

Really cool knife Slim9797 !
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:50:25 pm »

and here's my pardner StumpHunter's. His big brother is the man behind both of these beauty's. Both have spilled their share of pig blood

Stumphunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:58:08 pm »

As Slim said my brother fabricates some awesome knives whereas I've actually gotten into hand forging blades. Here are two blades I've made. The top one is an old metal punch and the bottom is a file. Alpha Are you planning on making a pig STABBING knife with those spikes?

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:06:42 pm »

Kinda drift back and answer your question. I like a big finger guard. I need to get my knife back to Dax and have him taper the width towards the tip of the knife. It's a little thick for my liking. I like the shape of stumps blade more. Not a lot of belly to his blade.  Smooth composite scales are a plus to me. Use antler or something and your gonna have blood and hair and dirt stuck in every nook and cranny. I like a little bit harder steel. Harder to sharpen but keep an edge longer when busting through the plate on a nice boar.  6-7" blade for me. I think stumps is almost 7.5". I like mines weight and it just feels good in my hand. I didn't mind spending the money to have a pretty knife. Good conversation piece when I hunt with new people

alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:17:31 pm »

As Slim said my brother fabricates some awesome knives whereas I've actually gotten into hand forging blades. Here are two blades I've made. The top one is an old metal punch and the bottom is a file. Alpha Are you planning on making a pig STABBING knife with those spikes?

I want to try to make a stabbing knife, and one to butcher a hog.

Life's not a bitch,life's a beautiful woman. You just call her a bitch because she won't let you get that p#$$y - Aesop Rock
alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 11:19:30 pm »

I should say a multipurpose knife( skin/butcher)

Stumphunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 11:21:29 pm »

The reason I put emphasis on the STABBING part is that I'd like to warn you in advance that railroad spikes are very hard to draw out to make length and depth of the blade, and still have space left for a right sized handle, drawing the metal out too far makes the metal thinner this easier to snap in half, the thinner the blade for a stabbing knife the more careful you have to be with heat treating and tempering, leave the blade too hard and it'll snap if bent, too soft and it won't hold a good enough edge. Pm me if you have any questions id be glad to help in any way I can!

Stumphunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 11:22:51 pm »

In the case of it being a skinner you shouldn't have much of a problem! I'll post some pics of spike skinners I've made.

Stumphunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 11:35:41 pm »

liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 11:59:01 pm »

Those are badass knives slim!!'

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 12:25:13 am »

We sure like them! Always poking fun about who's is better

alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:29 am »

I'm thinking of experimenting with the nessmuk pattern for the skinning/butcher
knife

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 01:41:05 pm »

I want a minimum of 8 inch bad with 9 or 10 inches being ideal for me.    I want mine to have a cutting edge on both the top and bottom sides of the knife.   Blade needs to be smooth and not to thick but not thin or weak.   Handle needs to have some grip to it, I prefer it to be coated in rubber also.  An absolute must for me is to have stops on top and bottom side of the handle to prevent my hand from slipping off the handle and sliding down the blade.   If your in water or blood sprays back on your hand, your hand can easily slip down onto the blade.        A good knife for me will have a little weight to it also.
     I don't flip pigs to stab them.  To me, that's pointless and adds more risk to the dog or dogs.  I only flip to tie.          Often times I let the dog hold while I hit the pig in the heart with the knife, just one stab is all it usually takes to hit it and I step back and let the dog continue to hold.  Within 3 to 10 seconds heart hit pigs will not be on their feet anymore.   To feel confident about hitting the heart of a big thick 250 plus pound boar, I want a long blade.    Sometimes I need to grab one back leg of a really big boar if he only has 1 dog on him and stab the boar  with my other hand which can sometimes really get you stretched out.  When your stretched out you need a knife that's built right and takes minimal effort to make it through the boar.   Knowing where to stab for the heart is half the battle, getting to it when your holding a back leg of a stout heavy pig that's thrashing around or trying to turn to get you means you got to pull harder on the leg your holding up which means less leverage on the knife to sink it.   Hit the right spot and it's like butter.   Miss a little and you get lung but are going through shield and need to apply more force.      It's all easy on sows and small boars but the big boars make you appreciate good equipment when your going at it alone and your dog is too.

alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:54:16 pm »

I want a minimum of 8 inch bad with 9 or 10 inches being ideal for me.    I want mine to have a cutting edge on both the top and bottom sides of the knife.   Blade needs to be smooth and not to thick but not thin or weak.   Handle needs to have some grip to it, I prefer it to be coated in rubber also.  An absolute must for me is to have stops on top and bottom side of the handle to prevent my hand from slipping off the handle and sliding down the blade.   If your in water or blood sprays back on your hand, your hand can easily slip down onto the blade.        A good knife for me will have a little weight to it also.
     I don't flip pigs to stab them.  To me, that's pointless and adds more risk to the dog or dogs.  I only flip to tie.          Often times I let the dog hold while I hit the pig in the heart with the knife, just one stab is all it usually takes to hit it and I step back and let the dog continue to hold.  Within 3 to 10 seconds heart hit pigs will not be on their feet anymore.   To feel confident about hitting the heart of a big thick 250 plus pound boar, I want a long blade.    Sometimes I need to grab one back leg of a really big boar if he only has 1 dog on him and stab the boar  with my other hand which can sometimes really get you stretched out.  When your stretched out you need a knife that's built right and takes minimal effort to make it through the boar.   Knowing where to stab for the heart is half the battle, getting to it when your holding a back leg of a stout heavy pig that's thrashing around or trying to turn to get you means you got to pull harder on the leg your holding up which means less leverage on the knife to sink it.   Hit the right spot and it's like butter.   Miss a little and you get lung but are going through shield and need to apply more force.      It's all easy on sows and small boars but the big boars make you appreciate good equipment when your going at it alone and your dog is too.

That's what I neded to know. thank you.

Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 04:09:43 pm »

Check out cold steel "oss" or the "osi" I prefer a single edged blade, but they offer both.  The blade is 8 1/4 inch long , comes with a decent sheath and can be had for around 60$ on ebay.

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 04:26:53 pm »

Check out cold steel "oss" or the "osi" I prefer a single edged blade, but they offer both.  The blade is 8 1/4 inch long , comes with a decent sheath and can be had for around 60$ on ebay.

I really really like that OSS, that will be the next one I buy. But for now I have a brand new Hen and Rooster that I need to use for a while first.
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 05:03:01 pm »

I really really like that OSS, that will be the next one I buy. But for now I have a brand new Hen and Rooster that I need to use for a while first.
im waiting on one now

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:55 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: