March 29, 2024, 05:46:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ben Lilly and Crook  (Read 1788 times)
mike rogers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:44:16 am »

I've been looking for a picture of Ben Lilly's old Crook dog. I've found several old pictures on line, but nothing that states it's Crook. So I'm hoping one of y'all will have a picture. 

thanks for any help y'all can give

mike
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »

He his the second dog from Ben. That's what it says in my book anyways.
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:44:10 pm »

Few different ones
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:40:31 am »

Those sure are some fine looking dogs. I think it would be interesting to know if there's any of that line left...

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk

He who kneels before God can stand before any man.
mike rogers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:43:07 pm »

thanks josh223.  I'll blow that thing up so I can look at him. Found one article that says catahoula, but a couple of them look more like blue dogs. Thanks again

mike
mike rogers
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 08:49:18 pm »

Those sure are some fine looking dogs. I think it would be interesting to know if there's any of that line left...

I believe  there was a article that states he left Louisiana with 30 or so dogs when he came to texas the later on into new mexico and into the gila. Hard for a man to travel with that many dogs. I'd bet theres traces of them somewhere out there....
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 12:25:01 pm »

I have heard one of the Cowboys at GOS ranch maybe kept some of his dogs after he died may not be correct tho.
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »

I have heard one of the Cowboys at GOS ranch maybe kept some of his dogs after he died may not be correct tho.
What's GOS?

joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 06:54:49 pm »

In new Mexico but that was in the late 30's early 40's
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:37:35 pm »

I'm really not tryn to start no stuff. Just an observation. Not doubting they were good dogs and really haven't read on the person or the dogs none.

Please don't take it for nothing else.

But the dogs in the pictures, to me look like setter or spaniel crosses. From the earset, colors and head shape?

Maybe ...?
Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 06:28:23 am »

They look like walker, Bluetick, and the one 2nd from the right looks like Plott to me

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 12:43:00 am »

Yeah they look like hounds to me too. The first one looks like a walker to me, with a couple of blue ticks and maybe a plott cause it looks to be brindle.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 07:48:04 am »

From what I've read on him Ben never really had a breeding program, then again I could've read wrong, yea he did have several dogs that he really liked and bred them but nothing along the lines of breeding a family of dogs, his lifestyle wouldn't allow it, in one book there's a quote where he sends a young man into town to gather up some dogs, anything that looks like it will run something, I've read where he and the Lee brothers swapped a few dogs back and fourth between one another and that Steve Mathes, the man who developed the Mathes lion hounds first started with a gyp that came off a dog that Lilly hunted, I'm sure if a man wanted to look hard enough he could dig up some extremely distant relatives of his dogs in some of the old western big game hunters packs.
ED BARNES
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 08:46:24 am »

Lily believed in making dogs, not breeding. If you were able to track down very distant relatives of his dogs you probably wouldnt have much but a conversation piece... unless you put in the kind of dog time Lily did.

Boss Hoggin Outlaw
Strike Dog

335 lb. barr hog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:54 am »

That makes sense Ed. People didn't have time to breed up exactly what they wanted. Unless they were rich and had nothing better to do... Good point

joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 06:01:58 pm »

From what I've read on him Ben never really had a breeding program, then again I could've read wrong, yea he did have several dogs that he really liked and bred them but nothing along the lines of breeding a family of dogs, his lifestyle wouldn't allow it, in one book there's a quote where he sends a young man into town to gather up some dogs, anything that looks like it will run something, I've read where he and the Lee brothers swapped a few dogs back and fourth between one another and that Steve Mathes, the man who developed the Mathes lion hounds first started with a gyp that came off a dog that Lilly hunted, I'm sure if a man wanted to look hard enough he could dig up some extremely distant relatives of his dogs in some of the old western big game hunters packs.
That is what I've have read also. I have read that he was extremely hard on them also,I read somewhere that when one of the dogs acted a fool he gathered them all up in a circle and put the dog in trouble in the middle and whipped it with a bull whip mercilessly with the others looking on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: