April 19, 2024, 09:27:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You best breeding to date.  (Read 3584 times)
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2016, 12:19:05 pm »

For those who have bred a few dogs.  Which breeding have produce your best dogs to date.  I mean is it a cross that has made your best dog are dogs to date or is it a line breeding are have you gotten your best from a inbred type of breeding?

As for me with the hog dogs it would be as of right now a tie between a straight cross and a heavy line breeding so done.

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 12:32:51 pm »

Texashogdogs weren't you breeding some fl dogs awhile back?

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:55:41 pm »

Yes sir.  Still am , slowed down now that have gotten some of them of age.  Crossed the Cracker dog on the line I got.  The first cross with the Whitey gyp turned out pretty well a few where culls but most have turned in to some pretty dang good dogs above avarge for sure.  Crossed Cracker on Hannah turned out real well a few culls but some hammering fools in that liter some smaller dogs that with Whitey.  Then I crossed Cracker on Bell the good lacy gyp I had only got one pup he was something else ruffer than a cob.  Done a family pure  breeding with Cracker to a gyp Mr Partin gave me turned out well and made I again dogs about right months old looking good.

So all in all just put putting along here.

TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 01:17:29 pm »

From first Whitey cross .  He will dig a hog out the dirt. A buddy of mine has a couple these the same way.  His are more long range mine is med but can get long.  The crossed started out catchy but learn real fast after a few stiches what they can and cant catch and back off and bay. Very very fast type dogs can run with the wind.  They will get ruff on a runner.  I have seen none like the site yet when it comes to out right stopping a big hog He is gonna stop it catch it are due.

TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »

Just now getting my spurs dug in with these dogs the Cracker dog and my dogs.  I made the first crossed now Am adding and subtracting to find out where the sweet spot is.  The orignal crossed seen to do well with a few culls.  I beginning to find out you either got a jam up sum buck are you got a dog that wants nothing to do with a hog in the first crosses am lucky am on the plus side pretty big.  But now I made a new breeding and I added a 1/4 Horn to the mix more my ole blood + he added his Plott side his Daddy.  Pups are going on four months old.  Got a report last week , well I was on the phone with him and the pup climb into his bay pen while on the phone with me and started baying Lmao a pig three times his size matter of fact he sent the video of it lol.  Then a few day later another text message from another buddy and his way baying a pig.  Lol.  This was the very first liter Cracker threw anything but black & tans other than the one with Bell the Lacy one pup and he was the Buckskin Red. So adding Horn to the ticket aint looking to shabby right now.  Here is my pup I have no doubt he will do the same.

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 01:59:56 pm »

Yessir that's exactly what I like damn fine looking dogs sir.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 02:35:20 pm »

I like the looks of that pup in the pic Jimmy, fine looking dogs. I'm going to have to talk you into selling me one. I need something real hard on a runner.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 03:19:30 pm »

Rednose, wish I had known.  I sold this one to a buddy.  No bark hog eating son of a gun and he is just no about two now.  His sister I sold to Chad my buddy is only about 40 lbs and she has been stopping boars they could not stop before he got her. She been cut and had her jaw broke ,  she got well after she broke her jaw and is back in business again.  Biggest boar to date she got slowed down long enff for help is 280 lbs got pics somewhere.  She been doing this since a year old.

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 03:43:37 pm »

I wish I would had known too, I sure do like the looks of him! What cross is he?
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »

He is off of Champ a great CD x a gyp that is off Horn x Whitey.

oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 03:57:34 pm »

Well there he is.  The sole representative of my breeding program.   Yep one ol' mangy mutt is all have to show for all my breeding talk.  Now saying I'm hard to please when it comes to the breeding pen would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!  I have found ONE female in 5 years I felt needed to be bred and I have bred her twice now.  The first litter was only 2 pups.  One cull and this dog.  The recent litter is to young to tell at this point.  Now where I got lost was were in the hell does one man come up with enough "breeding quality" females to make all the crosses you have made?  All I read is how good this dog is and how good that dog was but I'll just tell ya, good dogs don't come along like you suggest and if you think they do maybe you haven't seen "good."     

Looks like you got your program going in the right direction.  Thanks for starting anot her good topic.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »

LoL....If a man been hunting hogs and breeding his own dogs for 10-15 years got good friends hunting his dogs also and he ain't got 4-5 good bitches he can breed to.  He might want to find something else to do with his time. 

oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »

Good point.  I have problems with the "friends" part.  Surely by now you have noticed, I don't go out of my way to make friends.  Ha ha ha
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 06:24:04 pm »

Aw man aint no big deal hell everybody has their own way of thinking and doing things.  Where did you get your Plott dog from?  My ole Horn dog is half Plott from a ole buddy in Mississippi.  He is heavy bred Alabama Hammer on top and heavy bred Sizzling Heat on bottom.

TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 06:34:29 pm »

Here is a pic of my old Plott dog he was a small dog with a lot of speed and silent on track thank God about 40 lbs but a damn good one he was about a year old in this pic.

oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 07:13:42 pm »

Nice looking Plott.  Man you sure have plenty of "damn good" dogs at you disposal.  That's what I'm striving for. 
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 07:25:09 pm »

Long time messing with them good family and good friends and a hell of a lot of hunting and work involved over the years.  You ain't gonna make no great dog are dogs sitting on your butt it don't matter how well bred they are, are who bred them.

Over the years the damnest thing is you can plan and plan on how you gonna breed this one are that one and the breeding u least expect turns out to be your best dogs!

oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 07:47:14 pm »

That must be were I'm going wrong.  I don't make breeding I don't think will work.  I guess I over think it.  Had a breeder I look to pattern my program after (in ways) say once,  "NEVER breed any dog (sire or dam) you absolutely would not be completely comfortable duplicating."    That pretty much sums up my way of thinking.   I may miss on the crosses I least expect but I think I'LL stick to his advice.  Good luck
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 08:06:19 pm »

Don't get it wrong the males and gyps all worthy hog dogs . If we didn't think it was gonna work they would never get bred.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »

These two litter mates I breed few yrs back really turned out how I like a dog. And that's what I want a dog that fits me not Tom dick and Harry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: