April 25, 2024, 01:00:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running walkers  (Read 1604 times)
Cur dog 99
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:38 pm »

I got a running walker pup other day and just wanted to know some of y'all's experience dealing with running walkers on hogs
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:24:32 pm »

They make good pack dogs and will run the hair off of one, trick is getting them to bay by themselves, I've been through several over the years that were full blood, I currently have a gyp that will bay one like a cur dog and the more it fights the rougher she gets, I've seen a pile of cur walker crosses that were good dogs, just got to remember that your dealing with dogs that have been genetically bred over the years to run run run no bay bred into them, this little gyp I have now I let her run and bay cows as much as she wanted and she picked up on it pretty good, she will even get in there and pitch in on a catch.
Cur dog 99
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:16:51 pm »

Goose87 yeah I had thought bout how they would be good for runnin one just gettin one to bay I haven't ever fooled with a running walker before but heard they are dang good deer dogs I had just been thinking bout makin one a hog dog hopping this one will turn out what I'm lookin for
Nick Yochum
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:50 pm »

My brother runs a July and he's bout as nice of strike as I've seen. Tons of hustle and bottom. Rolling out son of gun.

Being lucky sure is hard work.
7Mhunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:44:24 pm »

Liked stated above some will bay some will not. You may go through 50 before finding one that will bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Cowgirl up or go sit in the truck-
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:28:02 am »

They make good pack dogs and will run the hair off of one, trick is getting them to bay by themselves,

I can agree with this and from what I've seen, the Treeing Walkers tend to be better at hog, bear, and cat hunting than the Running Walkers.  The Running Walkers tend to do well on game such as deer and coyote.  I'm not saying that Treeing Walkers make good hog dogs and I am not saying that Running Walkers wont make good hog dogs.  As the name implies, the Running Walkers - run.  They were not bred (for the most part) to bay or tree game.  I am sure there are some pits out there that will tree- but that is not what they were bred for.

I think your pup has as good as chance as any other dog to be a good hogs dog is properly exposed, hunted ect...it is just something that you will have to try. 
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:40 am »

I'm slowly in the process of adding running walker into my pack, I ain't just running out and grabbing any running walker, there are lines out there that run to catch and will nail what ever they run down, what I like that they bring to the table is they are just some tough son of a guns and the right ones can really push a track, a really good friend of mine has some that are cur crosses that have been bred for the better part of 20-25 years to produce hogs in our area, the ones I just bred into my yard are line bred for pack hunting bob cats and have a really good nose on them, the lines of curs I'm working with a pretty fast themselves and have a good stock sense to them, in the next few years im going to be crossing a few of them with some running blood in hopes of adding more nose and track drifting, while maintaining their track speed.
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:00:30 am »

I had  two  one  time .....if they could find a track  to run they would leave a  standing hog  and  run the  track that left ..... some curdogs do the same thing ....
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 04:18:31 pm »

I have seen better cur x running walker hogdogs then pure running walkers. The cur crosses were the fastest things I have seen yet. Like said if you can find one that bays & has the nose, count your blessings.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 09:45:37 pm »

but is breeding speed the answer ....I've seen and see it all the time  young dogs flat running a  hog and run it out the country ...and  old  dogs that know  how  to bay hogs  bay one after  another in country where they run ....how do they do it   ?
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 06:59:02 am »

If your breeding for just speed then I think your shooting yourself in the foot, I believe some dogs just have that knack for baying hogs whether they're  fast or not, but it sure makes for a fun hunt when they are pumping the air out of him, you'll probably bay more hogs with a good silent dog with the right kinda grit, I've hunted silent dogs for a good while  and will continue to have some but I truly enjoy a good fast paced chase now a days, the harder a hog runs the more I enjoy it, there's no rule book on what makes a hog dog, it all boils down to what the man feeding them likes, I have two different breeding projects going on, I have some cur dogs that i will continue to line out and some hound crosses that I'm developing, if a dog is just running a hog and not trying to bay him then he is of no use for me...

As far as the walker leaving a standing hog to run a track, reminds me of several years ago we had a dog running club not far from here, there was a triple main beam buck in there that had been seen and ran on more than one occasion, every time he would always hit the same block and the dogs would lose him, an old man had some blueticks in on the race one day, well sure enough ole freaky ( what we dubbed the buck) hit the same block and same case, well them two blueticks wasn't having it, after the walkers had come out the two ticks were still baying something, nobody wanted to go down in there so one ole boy grabbed his rifle and headed in there, what that buck was doing was he would get in an old pond and about chest deep on him and would fight the dogs, them walkers didn't want no part of it and would just go find something else to run, them two ticks just stood on the bank and bayed, when the ole boy got down there he saw what was going on and shot ole freaky.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 10:59:05 am »

Cool story goose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
labaconchaser
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 01:45:05 pm »

My buddy has one that will run the chit  outta a hog but if nothing has made it to him when the hog stops he will leave and if it dont run he will bark a couple times and leave it u can't hunt with him only you have to have another dog that is gonna get to him quick and join the race or you not gonna catch took a few time before we figured out what he was doing but after that he can match dogs up correctly to hunt with him

them trashy dogs done bayed another hog!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: