March 29, 2024, 01:56:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hogs rallying on a dog  (Read 1924 times)
Kilawatts
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:49 pm »

Any of you men had any thing like this happen before. I was hunting with an old boy that had never been dogging hogs before and the first day we caught about a 150 sow and took her home for his freezer. Day two we hit a decent group of hogs and caught about a 50 lbs boar. We tied the hog to haul out for the training pen. He went back to the truck with the bulldog and one strike dog, I packed the boar out with my old dog down hill to a road that he could meet me with the truck. On my way out my old dog started getting all wound up which I knew meant there wher hogs close. We came over the next hill and there was a group of about 40 hogs from a few good board to sows and piglets from the size of footballs to 20-30 lbs. me being me I sent the dog. Dog makes it to the group all leave over the next hill. I drop the tied hog and head in there direction. Before I can make it to the top of the hill. The next thing I see is my dog running strait at me and about 20 yards behind him is about 15 hogs hot on his tail. So I turn and look for my best option. The only thing I see is a small tree about 6" in diameter and one branch about 1" in diameter 4 feet off the ground. I high tail it to the tree pick my self up as high as possible. Because by this time. Half the group of hogs is got a bead on me. Dog runs clean by me hanging in the tree with half the herd on his tail. 5 hogs tried the damnedest to eat my lunch with me hanging on for dear life to this little branch. Hoping it don't break.  They finally got there fill and rolled out. I hiked back to my tied hog and looked for my mutt. He caught up with me about 20 min later. And we made it to the truck and called it a day. Now I've hunted plenty with only one dog. And have hit large groups with one dog ( even with the dog in this story ). Any of you men had any thing similar happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:06:24 am »

That is a great story man. Hahahaha that had to be a site seeing all those hogs hot on the tail of your dog and then coming at you.
Briar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:23 am »

That's a heck of a story, glad it ended well for you both. You reckon that fella is going hunting with you next time?
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:20:13 pm »

don't happen very often anymore  but years  ago when a rally would gather they'd tree you .... most places hogs  are just wilder and they run ...
Kilawatts
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:45:33 pm »

Has been since. He thought I was out of my mind. Lol. The sow we got the day before. Bay up in a nasty thicket of buck brush.  He told me if we get another in there he'd hang out at the truck
Kilawatts
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:45:48 pm »

Hasn't been since. Sorry

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:13 am »

It used to happen quite frequent around here when I was a teenager, a friend of mine sent his to a rally one morning and there was several  LARGE hogs in there and they were beating that bulldog 7 ways to Sunday but ole Tye never let go, we was having to holler and hit them with sticks all the while getting charged ourselves trying to get to him and leg the hog he had, definitely some scary sh!t, poor fella just laid down next to us and looked like somebody had peppered him with buckshot, he went deaf after that in one ear, that was the worst one I've seen, the rest all either broke when the action started or they would run after you got in there and yelled a few times.
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 07:19:23 am »

Had it happen this past January on a quota hunt. My buddys two dogs were baying & mine had a decent sow caught in some thick willow trees. They broke out when we got in there to them. that was the first rally I seen in about 15 years.

Smiling like a killer
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »

A good wad of hogs is music to my ears! I live for crisp spring mornings when I see dogs trees on the Garmin but can't hear them bayed over the symphony of grunts and popping teeth!
I don't get in any hurry to bust them, just relax and enjoy.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 06:38:29 pm »

T-bob don't get to hear that much anymore us to happen all the time now u hear bark bark and off to the races we go then hour later tree

Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 06:39:12 pm »

Shoot we use to bay them in open fields and hogs wouldn't even run they would just walk around

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 03:29:52 pm »

Been rallied on 2 or 3 times now and all I gots to say is that chit is for the birds. Last time it happened we were trucking it on the wheelers trying to get to dogs bayed, well I seen a 100 lb sow walk up under a Cedar, without checking where we were in comparison to dogs or anything I threw that damn bulldog off the rack and killed the four wheeler just in time to hear him hit, and then it sounded like a pond full of bull frogs came alive and they jumped that bulldog, he came off and I bet we saw atleast 25 pigs run out from under that cedar with all the dogs running their own. And the bulldog went about 200 yards and snatched a shoat. Ended up catching 3 out of that group in about 30 minutes but it was already late and we pulled out. I had to stab a hog with a stick that day

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: