April 18, 2024, 05:02:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training bay dogs in a pen or wooded pen  (Read 679 times)
txjbwill
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:43:21 pm »

I had a straight catch Yella dog if he seen a pig no bay he would just catch. Sold him as so to a man, When we ran him in a wooded pen at first he caught the pig, the pig got loose he tried to catch the pig again could not catch him so he backed up and bayed. Not normal for this dog and after a closer look the pig did not have any ears so if the pig broke he would bite him in the ass area and turn the pig and bay him again. Question is I don't want a rough dog like this Yella dog was so when training in a bay pen or a wooded pen would it be better to have pigs without ears?

Would it help keep a dog from wanting to catch a pig by the head if he did not train that way?
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:13:45 am »

If a dog naturally wants to catch instead of bay, they will start catching on the jaw, back of neck, armpit, or rear end if there is no ear available. Most of the hogs they encounter in the woods will have ears. I would vest him up and put him in the pen , alone, with a big rank boar that has no cutters. Have a bulldog ready to back him up just in case he starts gettin wrecked. Do this again the next day while the butt whippin is still fresh on his mind as long as he can move good enough to defend himself. If this doesn't back him off, then you have yourself an rcd or a lead in catch dog.
-
I have heard of a few cattlemen and bay pen guys using E collars to teach their dogs to bay instead of catch. As I understand it, they use the tone or vibrate feature supported by voice commands to " let go". If this doesn't work, they graduate to light tickles with the shock collar and increase the intensity until they get the desired effect. This method should only be used by experienced handlers who are really in tune with their dogs. It also should not be applied to pups or young dogs who aren't 100% sure of what game or stock they should be working. This approach could easily ruin a good young prospect.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:22:51 am »

You could also follow up the big boar approach by only letting him bay outside the pen. Pet him up and let him know you want him to bay & bark.
-ain, if
Athe really wants to catch, this might make him want to catch even more! Good luck with him.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
txjbwill
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:57:42 am »

Not trying to back a dog up from catching ear trying not to let them figure out the ear is a good handle to latch on to. Kind of Like out of sight out mind. I do want my dogs to focus on body parts from the ribs back to get a holt of to stop a pig.
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:14:29 pm »

I have had two woods pens one 50 acres the one now 300 acres ....  dogs just don't seem to be near as catchy in the woods as in the pen ... I have had some that would not catch a pig in the woods but would bug eyed catch in a pen .... if I get one that is catching to much busting bays I clip teeth ..... people use to bring me cowdogs to clip for them cause a stripped ear ain't good through the sale ring on a calf or cow ....most usually back off ......kinda like a cow with bad horns  cut her horns  she  usually  quit fight'n so bad .....
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:36 pm »

I meant not   near as catchy in my woods pen as they seem to be in the baypen ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: