March 28, 2024, 08:41:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short range and rough  (Read 4153 times)
Craig92
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:20:07 am »

Was thinking about getting back into hog dogging. Reason i got out was dogs running hogs for 4 miles and not stopping which wasnt much fun to me especially after bad run in with landowners. I was thinking about getting short range dogs that i would maybe walk hunt or ride on my horse having dogs circle around me at 100-200 yards. Thinking of having 2 or 3 very rough dogs that would b willing to put teeth on one. Maybe run cut collar and vests on them. Just curious if anyone hunts like this or similiar.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:38:49 pm »

That style can catch a ton of hogs if your hunting where there are good numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig92
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:14:28 pm »

Yessir, ive killed 15 hogs with my rifle on our place in last month so numbers arent a problem. I kno i can get on fresh hogs just needing to stop them n not run past 50 hogs on my place chasing a few 4 miles.
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 11:06:18 am »

Yea I have caught lots of hogs this way in hawaii you have to walk up and down mountains so u can't have a dog baying miles away and you have to walk to it we ran cat/gray hound over gs/wippet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:27:11 am »

https://youtu.be/7F00Rjq5xlA

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:05:34 pm »

This is exactly how I started hog hunting in the mid 90's.  2-3 FL cur dogs that mixed with bulldog.  Walked or shined orange groves; turned dogs loose- lots of caught hogs real quick.  Unfortunately- lots of cut up dogs sometimes too.
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:02:26 pm »

Thats a cool vid, you can definitely see the sight hound crossed over bulldog with a few of those dogs.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:58:24 pm »

A good hog hunter who is also a good woodsman, should be able to take a good pair of rough cur dogs anywhere and catch hogs. I prefer mine to be stock bred. Wink

Catchin hogs cracker style
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »

If you don't want to be running pigs then don't hunt with a dog that isn't straight catch.       2 fast cd's is plenty sufficient for catching and holding the biggest of boars. 
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:55:47 am »

garmin solved the  problem .... now days you can teach a dog to come when toned so  you can control where or how far  they run ..... when a bay busts sometimes our bulldogs run for a mile or two so just cause  you get ruffer dogs don't mean you want get off the property you have  to hunt ....the right garmin set up may be good for  you for whatever you hunt for staying where you need to stay ....
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 04:13:28 pm »

garmin solved the  problem .... now days you can teach a dog to come when toned so  you can control where or how far  they run ..... when a bay busts sometimes our bulldogs run for a mile or two so just cause  you get ruffer dogs don't mean you want get off the property you have  to hunt ....the right garmin set up may be good for  you for whatever you hunt for staying where you need to stay ....

Reason your bulldogs are running pigs so far is there lack of speed not hardness.       Speed alone doesn't stop races nor does hardness by itself.   You must combine the two.         Deerhound x dogo type dog.   
       Take a fast pig to the middle of any size feild then turn it loose.  Wait till the pig books it half way  across  the feild before turning 1 "fast" catch dog to  run it down and catch.      If the pig cleared the feild where was the failure?    Speed or hardness?  Most likely lack of speed.  If the dog did overtake the pig but didn't catch it then it's lack of hardness that allowed the pig to clear the feild.  This dog to me is not much of a catch dog since it requires  a second dog  to get there and assist.    I
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 11:05:33 pm »

come show me .... everybody gets out run on a perty regular basis .....
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 07:25:57 am »

Come show you?  You come to me and you bring the fastest pig you can and I'll gladly  show you.        I ain't gonna travel all over the country doing demo's  but you pit in the effort to get here and I'll show you.      What you gonna see is i dont use the common car to run the  Nascar circuit.     You can talk about sipping you grocery getter up all day long with your friends and trying to when but all it is is wishful thinking.    To truely earn a spot in the that kinda of competition  takes entirely different class of vehicle.  Same with dogs and catching pigs like I do.       
    As far as everybody being out run yeah I guess.   I'm sure if Nascar let mom in with her grocery  getter and finish 2/3rds of the race before the vehicles designed for such a race even got the go signal, yeah mom everybody  got outran.   Unless the race is allowed to continue  across the finish the property line, which brings us full circle to the reason for this thread.    How to catch pigs before they get off your permission.         
    You can go rough  and double down  and go rougher  but your still racing with a grocery getter.  Stopping the pig with a rough bay dog is not the end of the race.   The end is when the catch dog is swinging. 
   The kinda catch dogs I run are faster than your curs.     If your cd would be an embarrassment on the greyhound track, stopping pigs with a cd is something your only gonna talk about and not do consistently  cause even in wide open spaces your cd  struggles to keep up same pace with a pig.        Your bay dog can keep pace but when is this race over?  When the cd is swinging!
     Leave the bay dogs out of the hunt and you won't have busted bays.  Hunt with just the typical catch dog and you will get outrun in embarrassing fashion.     What gives?  Got to look outside the traditional American pig dogging style to answer this question correctly

hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 09:54:53 am »

Come show you?  You come to me and you bring the fastest pig you can and I'll gladly  show you.        I ain't gonna travel all over the country doing demo's  but you pit in the effort to get here and I'll show you.      What you gonna see is i dont use the common car to run the  Nascar circuit.     You can talk about sipping you grocery getter up all day long with your friends and trying to when but all it is is wishful thinking.    To truely earn a spot in the that kinda of competition  takes entirely different class of vehicle.  Same with dogs and catching pigs like I do.      
    As far as everybody being out run yeah I guess.   I'm sure if Nascar let mom in with her grocery  getter and finish 2/3rds of the race before the vehicles designed for such a race even got the go signal, yeah mom everybody  got outran.   Unless the race is allowed to continue  across the finish the property line, which brings us full circle to the reason for this thread.    How to catch pigs before they get off your permission.         
    You can go rough  and double down  and go rougher  but your still racing with a grocery getter.  Stopping the pig with a rough bay dog is not the end of the race.   The end is when the catch dog is swinging. 
   The kinda catch dogs I run are faster than your curs.     If your cd would be an embarrassment on the greyhound track, stopping pigs with a cd is something your only gonna talk about and not do consistently  cause even in wide open spaces your cd  struggles to keep up same pace with a pig.        Your bay dog can keep pace but when is this race over?  When the cd is swinging!
     Leave the bay dogs out of the hunt and you won't have busted bays.  Hunt with just the typical catch dog and you will get outrun in embarrassing fashion.     What gives?  Got to look outside the traditional American pig dogging style to answer this question correctly

Do you have any pics of your dog's and the breed I'd love to see them I know you know alot about rcds I see your name in all the rcd and rough dog questions

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 02:14:06 pm »

I have tons of pics of dogs, them on pigs.    Send me your number  in a pm and I'll send you pics the likes of which you rarely ever see here
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 02:53:55 pm »

I've seen quite a few pics from dean. Had a few good conversations with the man. If he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to his dogs, well he sure has me fooled. He's got some good pictures

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 04:38:32 pm »

Bullygreys from Australia, speed for days and grit to make them quit.

https://youtu.be/anvgf82Hblg

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 07:33:57 pm »

I've seen quite a few pics from dean. Had a few good conversations with the man. If he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to his dogs, well he sure has me fooled. He's got some good pictures

I appreciate that.   I been catching lot of pigs this summer 5 to 12 a week.   6 being yesterday's catch.   That's a decent day in this heat especially with my main dog in the panhandle being bred.   I haven't been taking time to get pics like I used to on count of the heat  but now the dogs are starting to role out to find and catch another while I tie the first, if they were not caught on seperated pigs.     Since they feel good enough to role out they can stay hooked up for a while longer while I watch and observe and take pics.     I just swapped a great stag type gyp for very well bred ready to start finder holder bred male.  Now that I have him to train and evaluate and have a vest built for him, I'll need to watch him and evaluate his style for the correct vest style which means lot more of them good pictures.
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 08:15:53 pm »

I appreciate that.   I been catching lot of pigs this summer 5 to 12 a week.   6 being yesterday's catch.   That's a decent day in this heat especially with my main dog in the panhandle being bred.   I haven't been taking time to get pics like I used to on count of the heat  but now the dogs are starting to role out to find and catch another while I tie the first, if they were not caught on seperated pigs.     Since they feel good enough to role out they can stay hooked up for a while longer while I watch and observe and take pics.     I just swapped a great stag type gyp for very well bred ready to start finder holder bred male.  Now that I have him to train and evaluate and have a vest built for him, I'll need to watch him and evaluate his style for the correct vest style which means lot more of them good pictures.
Where are you located?

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 08:26:52 pm »

I appreciate that.   I been catching lot of pigs this summer 5 to 12 a week.   6 being yesterday's catch.   That's a decent day in this heat especially with my main dog in the panhandle being bred.   I haven't been taking time to get pics like I used to on count of the heat  but now the dogs are starting to role out to find and catch another while I tie the first, if they were not caught on seperated pigs.     Since they feel good enough to role out they can stay hooked up for a while longer while I watch and observe and take pics.     I just swapped a great stag type gyp for very well bred ready to start finder holder bred male.  Now that I have him to train and evaluate and have a vest built for him, I'll need to watch him and evaluate his style for the correct vest style which means lot more of them good pictures.
Where are you located?

Graham / Jacksboro TX area
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: