March 28, 2024, 07:44:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short range and rough  (Read 4152 times)
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 09:36:08 pm »

I'm full of myself??? I don't run my damn head on here telling people that the only way to end a situation is to hunt like me, or use dogs like me and bash and point out flaws of there damn dogs! Period!
You're a 100% right mine, I never touch a dang filed! I doubt my plugs even know what a field looks like! Now your demo consist of runnin a hog down? Come one dude earlier you were running your damn head about catchin on site! I know how to read! Now it's about running one down in a open field! like Oconee once said! Your dogs won't work where hogs are thin and in thick country! I promise you!!!!! Yah long story short. I had dogs that were bred to track and catch! They weren't the long haired legged dogs you run. What about that is hard to understand? They did the same number 2, weren't your damn breed of dog. But did the same damn thing! Same as some of JP's dogs, same as the cracker fellas dogs. I've had em, not no more! Any more clarification?

You better calm down before you get kicked off.  Cussing me and calling me names is no way to  come to an understanding.    You only go backwards with that kinda attitude.     You can't learn and you can't  see past your hatred and you dang sure can't articulate your point like that.     When you get upset like that, the other had beaten you.    Maybe it's better you don't try to do others fighting for them cause you aren't doing anything other than making a fool of yourself and disrespecting the platform in which you have to speak
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 05:00:51 am »

I hunt with similar type dogs that Black Streak does. You can look at some of my old posts to see them. My opinion on mine is this - they are a tool in my toolbox while hunting. I can honestly say that 100% I drop them in an open field we catch pigs.

If they are right on a hogs arse in thick brush (10 yards or less) they are probably 75%. Thick brush here being mostly briars.

I don't even turn them into a bay in thick brush. Their speed is negated in that situation and that's why I use them, is for their speed in certain situations. I find that they get burned just as much as my bulldog in the thick stuff.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 06:47:31 am »

Jsh  do you use yours for Finding hog's in the woods or do you use curs?If so how do yours hunt in comparison to a good Cur as far as nose  ,range ,drive and bottom and overall hog finding ability? I only ask because I have interest in these dog's but have never hunted behind any. Thanks.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
ArtHenrey
Alpha Dog

Del Encino Hog Dog's

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2016, 08:41:33 am »

Before I cut you loose streak, I'm going to tell you. You ain't gunna tell me what I better do! Period!
I'll tell you this. Since all sudden you changed over to speed. Your dogs, in thick country are average dogs. There speed in is no longer nothing in places like Mike is talking about. There eyes are no longer a tool, all nose, bottom To try in keep up! I doubt this fella that started this post, I going to be hunting football fields. Jsh just answerd everything I needed to know.
Like I told hyan earlier. I have nothing against the dogs.
Telling me I look like a fool, don't bring thunder, if you can't take the rain!
Later Dean!

Arturo Villarreal -V
Elgin, tx
512-815-8569
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 09:52:18 am »

I hunt with similar type dogs that Black Streak does. You can look at some of my old posts to see them. My opinion on mine is this - they are a tool in my toolbox while hunting. I can honestly say that 100% I drop them in an open field we catch pigs.

If they are right on a hogs arse in thick brush (10 yards or less) they are probably 75%. Thick brush here being mostly briars.

I don't even turn them into a bay in thick brush. Their speed is negated in that situation and that's why I use them, is for their speed in certain situations. I find that they get burned just as much as my bulldog in the thick stuff.
I have run my dogs in some nasty stuff and they did just fine I had shepherd in my dogs so they had nose to so if the pig seen my dogs and would run the in the woods before my dog got to them they would follow the sent down till they seen the pig once that happened any thing that the pig went through my dogs did to from sugar cane fields to cat claw walls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 10:33:12 am »

I never had a problem catching hogs in open land. If one ever broke out in a pasture, my curs would suck him up in short order. They could stop one without catching and keep it bayed 'till I got there. Thick brush and swamps negated raw speed and the dogs had to rely on track speed and perseverance to get the job done. Even the very best would get beat sometimes.
   I tried running dogs and crosses and was always disappointed in performance for the country I hunted. If I had lots of open land with bunches of hogs, running dogs would be fun to have. Growing up, I enjoyed running Jackrabbits with Greyhounds.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »

Where do yall find all this open land? I would love to hunt like that & be able to see the dogs run a hog down. I guess I will just have to settle for watching it on the Garmin.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 02:27:22 pm »

I have caught very few hog in the open its just rare. I would love to it just don't happen very often. But when it does it's cool I got some fast dogs that are catchy. Main problem is fields ain't long enough. I just stay in the bush I work good in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »

I hunt rice fields sometimes though very seldom I ever bay out in it  there always  in the woods ....but I did bay a bunch on a levy one day ...here's what happened  in about 30 minutes w ith 3  curdogs and 2 short fat slow  bulldogs .......
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 04:31:26 am »

LH - I use strike dogs (plot/cur and curs). These stag crosses can track and catch. In cooler weather I'll let them hunt more and have sent them into woods on hot tracks and they've done fine. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel with them, just got tired of watching hogs in the open run by. A good friend of mine has lots of open land to hunt and it's not uncommon at all to see them trying to sneak out across a pasture.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 04:48:25 am »

10/4 thanks for the response Jsh.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 06:44:20 am »

I hunt rice fields sometimes though very seldom I ever bay out in it  there always  in the woods ....but I did bay a bunch on a levy one day ...here's what happened  in about 30 minutes w ith 3  curdogs and 2 short fat slow  bulldogs .......

Parker my hole  point  I'm wanting people to ask themselves is exactly the point you just made on this post.           *why did the dogs not catch or bay upthe pig or pigs in the open but we're able to when they hit to the woods or brush*            The answer to this question and how it relates to not being able to stop those runners in the brush that give others fits is what I'd like to address and been trying this hole time.  First we must understand why the dogs are not doing it in the open in order to understand why they aren't able to do it in the brush.

Knowing the answer to this and why it's so much easier to bay most pigs in the brush or catch them once they get to the brush would probably be and interesting topic to transition to once we understand the first.

My dogs run pigs down and catch in the brushy trashy  stuff that's littered with steep  and tall creek banks  fine, actually easier. With the exception in some areas that the brush is so thick rabbits can't run through.      That pigs is gone usually.        If they try to hunt to it  I usually have to call them back.  If the wind is calm I'll holler and call them back if they are close to someone else's  property line or just make there collars vibrate to pull them back.     Not that any of this matters to my point, just describing a little more about the dogs and me
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 08:38:08 am »

the 5 hogs was all caught out in the field ....an old dog trailed them out there and bayed them on a levy ....... you just have  no idea where some of us  hunt or  you would understand even you would have  to change  your style in different places ..... let one of your catchers  get ahold of a good 200 plus  pound boar  under  a treetop in a cutover and see what happens  to him or her without a full vest and no way to turn and bend as  you say with the hog like in an open field ....there's a reason why we  use  bulldogs and I do my best to use  2 ......
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 09:19:22 am »

LH - I use strike dogs (plot/cur and curs). These stag crosses can track and catch. In cooler weather I'll let them hunt more and have sent them into woods on hot tracks and they've done fine. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel with them, just got tired of watching hogs in the open run by. A good friend of mine has lots of open land to hunt and it's not uncommon at all to see them trying to sneak out across a pasture.

Do you know Teagarden?  I hear the same terminology in you that he uses also, plus yalls hunt styles and dogs seem very similar.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 09:34:35 am »

I hunt my dogs by having them wind pigs, my stags will wind them and go to them good, stags and finder holders alike.    I run one with another, Finder holders will generally  pull up and leave first but they hunt so well together that if one smells a pig the other dog can tell it in the other.   I don't put any of my dogs on tracks, they ain't hounds, they winding dogs like a strike dog rigged on a truck.  I share dogs with Josh and Paul, Josh mainly.   My hunt style and his are similar but not the same but we have the same dogs.  His dogs reflect his style, mine reflect mine eventhough they are littermates etc.      Now breed these finder holders differently for and you could take the differences even farther
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: