March 29, 2024, 06:55:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Science of Stop  (Read 8099 times)
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2016, 08:58:11 pm »

I can vouch for the terrain there. I been up and down those mnt more then I care to remember. Spent many a trip to PTA makooa valley over the top kollie kollie pass top of the world Kahoo koos and on the last lepercy colonialism. I known my spellings ain't right lol. If you can hunt and hick there this stuff here is fairly easy except briars don't think I remember any there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering about the spelling lol the I think there the same as cat claw?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2016, 08:27:25 am »

perty much each area adapts to what works the best for them .......  who cares I don't  I wish I  could get a donkey to catch then he could pack it out for me .....  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  get off here and go  hunt  Grin Grin Grin  we gonna hunt tomorrow maybe i'll have a big nasty to show ya'll ......
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2016, 09:23:56 am »

In my experience dogs that get cut more then average would be a dog that is fighting the hog not catching. This will cause other dogs to get cut. Now you ain't going to stop all cuts but you can knock it down by knowing the dog and good cut gear. 

I often times raise an eyebrow at people who demand no regripping from their catch dogs they send to the bays.   The curs are instigating a big fight from the pig.   Biting it barking and escalating the level of intensity and excitement coming from the pig and other dogs.     They want a dog that doesn't regrip  while the others are doing provoking a fight.     Sure 1 or 2 guys can hold another down but that calm assertiveness is basically gone in mob rule type culture and fights.   No one gonna naturally hold while others are fighting, if you can kinda visualize that.    Not saying we on this forum would willfully fall into mob rule type groups, just using it as an analogy to illustrate circumstances.     Same catch dogs in different circumstances may be more prone to calmly hold.    These types of circumstances are one of the key elements to finding holding dogs being able to hold so long and stay so injury free.  1 element of many but a key element.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2016, 09:29:36 am »

That goes for any dog type cd.   Curs that find and catch that are hunted in finder holder type style, stags which are bred to shred and kill, pits, or purpose bred finder holder style dogs.            More than two dogs on a decent pig and the dynamics between pig and dogs often is changed.    Most cd's will kill smaller pigs or try instead of hold them from what I've seen in all types of hunting and dogs.
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2016, 10:35:03 am »

One of my rcds used to hold solid and now it looks like he's trying to eat the ear off a hog, he seemed to do it after I started feeding him boar meat, he does seem more jacked up than he used to, maybe I'm hunting to many dogs

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2016, 07:43:07 am »

It don't matter what type of dog it is the more dogs u have on the ground will change the atmosphere. That's why less is best. Dogs are pack animals in a pack they go back to being wild and need to demonstrate there pecking order thru aggressive behavior.

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2016, 05:48:37 am »

Hyan and everyone else that runs these kind of dogs, there's been times it's been over a hour before I could get to a bay, I get nervous and I have loose dogs. I could just imagine if I had something caught that long. I'm completely ignorant to these kind of dogs, so I'm not talking down on them or anything. Just curious if that ever happened?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
I have had them hold longer then that it's all mountains in hawaii so some times they stop a pig in a gulch and you stand at the top of of a 150 ft cliff trying to figure out how the hell they got down there so u follow it till u find a spot to get down them have to walk back to where the dogs are some time it can take 2 even 3 hours to get to some pigs that by the time u get there the pig is half dead n the dogs are still there just holding it depends on your line breeding the type of dog is important my dogs were started at 4 months old so if by 1 year or so they couldn't keep up they didn't make the cut the size of the dog also our dogs were big so when you have to big dogs on one pig it helps alot this is my little bro the pup behind him is only 4 months old this was her 4th pig of the month and she was trying to hold with the other dogs we also exercise our dogs as a pack every day they would run a 8 mile back road be hind the truck that was going 10 mph so they were really fit when my dad first started the line he would hunt the dogs every day after work in the sugar fields on his way home

4 months old?Dog's don't even have their adult teeth at 4 months old or the maturity to handle a hog, Personally I would never put a dog that young on a hog in the woods especially if I know they're rough and catch.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2016, 06:08:46 am »

Hyan and everyone else that runs these kind of dogs, there's been times it's been over a hour before I could get to a bay, I get nervous and I have loose dogs. I could just imagine if I had something caught that long. I'm completely ignorant to these kind of dogs, so I'm not talking down on them or anything. Just curious if that ever happened?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
I have had them hold longer then that it's all mountains in hawaii so some times they stop a pig in a gulch and you stand at the top of of a 150 ft cliff trying to figure out how the hell they got down there so u follow it till u find a spot to get down them have to walk back to where the dogs are some time it can take 2 even 3 hours to get to some pigs that by the time u get there the pig is half dead n the dogs are still there just holding it depends on your line breeding the type of dog is important my dogs were started at 4 months old so if by 1 year or so they couldn't keep up they didn't make the cut the size of the dog also our dogs were big so when you have to big dogs on one pig it helps alot this is my little bro the pup behind him is only 4 months old this was her 4th pig of the month and she was trying to hold with the other dogs we also exercise our dogs as a pack every day they would run a 8 mile back road be hind the truck that was going 10 mph so they were really fit when my dad first started the line he would hunt the dogs every day after work in the sugar fields on his way home

4 months old?Dog's don't even have their adult teeth at 4 months old or the maturity to handle a hog, Personally I would never put a dog that young on a hog in the woods especially if I know they're rough and catch.
That's how my dad always did it from when him n my uncle started hunting in the 70s so that's how I did it

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: