April 23, 2024, 05:25:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed  (Read 2475 times)
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:22 pm »

Black streak...how well do hairy holders dog swim in the deep water...

Many years of testing and observing my dogs I have found certain physical traits that the strongest of swimmers have in common...and some of these curs  will hit the deep water in thE marsh like a well bred lab...

I have found that their confedence and comfort with the water often dertermins how relaxed and well they swim.
   I don't want them pulling there front feet out of the water.    Often when a dog does this, it's kinda panicking or uncomfortable with its situation.         For puppies I put a big plastic swimming pool in there pen.   They will get to playing in and loving the water if they are summer puppies.          I always do a lot of swimming in tanks with the young dogs and older ones alike.        To me, them being comfortable in the water and confident and good swimmers is a big deal to me eventhough I don't have many water catches the way I did when I run bay dogs.
       When my dogs go cool off in water on a hunt, usually the only thing you see of some of them are their heads because they go out to deep enough water and lay down in it.       Pups will run and jump into the water like labs jumping for a bird that hit the water.             Even the stags I raised did this which is pretty uncommon for such dogs.   usually stags will only go as far as getting their feet wet when cooling off, less they are really really hot, then they might go a a few steps farther.              I don't see the physical characteristics coming into play as far as their ability to swim.   To me I see it more as their level of confedence and comfort with the water.       
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 06:30:53 am »

There's a big difference in a dog being fast and a dog having track speed, after the sight chase is over and let's say the hogs hit the brush and don't spin to fight ( which you say they normally do) and the dog has to put in nose work to finish the game, he's only going to be able to run that track as fast as his nose will let him no matter the spinal alignment or cat like features a dog may possess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ArtHenrey
Alpha Dog

Del Encino Hog Dog's

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 08:10:09 am »

Hyan, that was an example of what your made up to look like, your not always that.
Believe me, I played with guys that would split your head in half! It happened to me all the time lol.
I see what your saying about all the Walmart stuff, but I think a lot of times it depends on track speed, bottom and the right grit. And pressure! To much pressure causes running hogs. Either gunna catch em, or grab em sit em down and get back and bay.
Just cause there not caught out in plain sight. Doesn't mean there not caught in the thick stuff.
Hey dean. Idk if anyone has ever asked. Could one of your dogs be used to turn to bays? Hyan, did y'all use them like that either?

Arturo Villarreal -V
Elgin, tx
512-815-8569
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 08:27:45 am »

Hyan, that was an example of what your made up to look like, your not always that.
Believe me, I played with guys that would split your head in half! It happened to me all the time lol.
I see what your saying about all the Walmart stuff, but I think a lot of times it depends on track speed, bottom and the right grit. And pressure! To much pressure causes running hogs. Either gunna catch em, or grab em sit em down and get back and bay.
Just cause there not caught out in plain sight. Doesn't mean there not caught in the thick stuff.
Hey dean. Idk if anyone has ever asked. Could one of your dogs be used to turn to bays? Hyan, did y'all use them like that either?
That kinda was my point If to much pressure they run so my dogs would lock before they had that chance to run...we never ran bay dogs separate so idk I have two finer holders n one bay dog that won't touch a hog that goes with them to let us know where the dogs were at

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
ArtHenrey
Alpha Dog

Del Encino Hog Dog's

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 08:59:37 am »

I gotcha.

Arturo Villarreal -V
Elgin, tx
512-815-8569
ArtHenrey
Alpha Dog

Del Encino Hog Dog's

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 09:01:38 am »

I'm way off topic, hyan would that bay dog find the hogs and your finder holders tag along and catch at the find or was the bay dog along for the ride just as the barking locator?

Arturo Villarreal -V
Elgin, tx
512-815-8569
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 05:16:17 pm »

I'm way off topic, hyan would that bay dog find the hogs and your finder holders tag along and catch at the find or was the bay dog along for the ride just as the barking locator?
They would all be able to find so I did rum in to problems when they would separate but for the most part they new to stay together I am sure they could be turn to a bay but that defeats the purpose of breeding the to have nose n stamina I think the bull arab type dig would be good for a lead in because if you run the heavy set big body dogs then tend to lock up after a few pigs if they are used as finderholders our dogs are big but not as wide as bull arab type it helps them on the speed side but that's not to say if you get a bull arab I won't be the first in line for a pup lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: