April 20, 2024, 06:12:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A catchdog ?  (Read 2224 times)
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »

Seen were ther's ben a lot of catchdog discussions lately. Prolly the best catchdog I ever seen was 5/8ths pit, 1/4 cat, 1/4 bluetick. His daddy was pit and his ol momma was probly in the top 5 dogs strike dogs I ever Ben n the woods with. The old man wat had him said he was sitting on a deer stand, heard 2 hounds coming, a doe come by, as the hounds were getting closer his nephews pit popped out of the brush head down running that track not far behind that doe. He said the 2 hounds were probly 70-80 yards behind the pit. He also said that he seen that same pit tree squirrels. He bred his good dog 2 him just bcuz wat he seen outa that pit. She had 2 male pups and 1 died before he's a month old. Luck I guess didn't hav 2 mess with a litter and the 1 turned out to be jam up at his job. What kinda crosses or accidents have yaw seen come along that made jam up catch dogs?
LoftinCattleCo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 01:22:33 pm »

1/4 + 1/4 + 5/8=1 1/8 musta been a hell of a dog  Grin.. I've got a lil mutt at the house that's got some bulldog in her but definantley not full blooded... Hands down has the most heart I've ever seen in a dog and is a sure enough ear hunting wench I've tied a wad of good hogs with her by herself. I've had several cur dogs that I led in just like a bulldog. I preference a good line bred bulldog but it's each to his own.

Jacob Loftin  Thicket,Tx
(409)-656-4633
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:35:58 pm »

Excuse me 5/8th,1/8th and an 1/8th
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 05:23:35 pm »

years back here half apbt and half ridgeback or even 3/4 apbt and 1/4 apbt was a common catchdog. my hunting partner used a 1/2 apbt 1/4 catahoula and 1/4 plott for many many years as a catchdog.
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:32:49 am »

Not color blind you need to buy a calculator, funniest chit I've read on here in a while lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 10:10:40 am »

I hear ya, math was a sumbitch on the stateline yesterday! LOL
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 04:46:48 pm »

I know a guy who trains all his catchdogs with a 45 lb border collie. NO BS. ole hank has caught some nasty ones too.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 05:25:36 pm »

I know a guy who trains all his catchdogs with a 45 lb border collie. NO BS. ole hank has caught some nasty ones too.

I would like to watch that, those dogs are so intelligent. For that small of a non bulldog to catch a big pig he has got to do things really smart I would guess. From being super accurate on the ear to bodying up or whatever method he has figured out to not take as much damage. It would be very interesting to see.
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:05:49 pm »

1 of my buddys has a half pit half border collie that he uses, good dog, very smart
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:33 am »

I know a guy that runs cattle dogs, border collie or Mcnab looking things and says they catch hogs, hard to believe but he wins the hog contests the most out of anyone, they only weigh 40-45 lbs

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:11:08 am »

I have seen people who have used dogs out of almost every breed for catchdogs as well as the mixes. Orval Roberts when I first met him had a ring neck, blue leopard Catahoula that was as good a catchdog as any. I've had a friend who used a 1/2 Plott x 1/4 Cat x 1/4 Pit for a catchdog. I had a Plott that I used for a while that was straight catch.  I've also had Cats that I used as catchdogs as well. Another friend had a 1/2 Border Collie x 1/2 Pit that was a fine catchdog. My preference is a straight Pit but there are a lot of mixes & other breeds that do make a fine catchdog.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 01:08:03 pm »

Cajun how long ago was it u met mr Orville?
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 08:10:36 pm »

Seen a German shepherd strike and catch. Bird dog of various types catch, pits, bull dogs, mastiff, and mixed of all kind. Learning that smaller dogs make for a all around catch dog. I like a good Dogo but there size can become a problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 02:31:25 pm »

My buddy Tim who I hunt with. His moms boyfriend runs a bunch of registered cattle all over the state. He got 2 border collies and a red heeler that rides around with him at his ranch south of Sheridan and stuff and ole monte might just catch more hogs than Tim and I lol

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 02:50:02 pm »

To me the best CDs are 35 to 65 lb pits.  I like mine around 50 give or take.

shadygrovehawgdawg
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 03:12:49 pm »

I agree with the judge, I have caught a bunch with a 35 lbs. gyp that rode my horse with me and a bunch with bigger dogs. I think 50 lbs. is a great size.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 10:11:06 pm »

Cajun how long ago was it u met mr Orville?

Very early 80's.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:18:33 pm »

My main catch dog right now is a 1/2 lab 1/2 pit. She's caught every hog we've ever had bayed, and we've caught some decent ones.

My young dog right now is a 5/8 pit, 1/4 catahoula 1/8 bmc. He's doing excellent as well.

I also have a 1/2 catahoula 1/4 bmc 1/4 pit that I can use as a lead in dog, but mostly run him as a RCD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: