March 29, 2024, 07:08:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catahoula GSP cross  (Read 2085 times)
Cooter56
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:03:08 am »

I have a buddy who has a registered GSP male he wants to breed to my Catahoula female. I think with both of their hunting styles being similar it would make a good pair. I've never heard of or seen this combination. Just wondering if anyone on here has any or has seen any. Pics would be great in anyone has any. Thanks.

Dont Back Up, Dont Back Down
Sbskls2004@gmail
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:37:59 pm »

We hunt two GSP and American bulldogs crosses.  They are great hunting dogs.  I would try that cross.  you have nothing to loose.
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:10:24 pm »

I bred a nice female cur dog to a field trail gsp. I kept 3 of them started them in the woods and they were extremely hard hunting dogs in fact I could not hunt 2 together at the same time because they would not come back at all. I ended up culling 2 and the other dog was the best dog I ever owned but he got run over. Jojo lemond had the other seven and he had 3 or 4 really nice dogs out of them. I used to have some pics of my good dog on my phone but can't find them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 03:40:43 pm »

Is Jojo from Wilson LA?
lacrash
Catch Dog

HURRY HURRY HURRY!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:22 am »

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
lacrash
Catch Dog

HURRY HURRY HURRY!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:55 am »

Above dog is 1/2 GSP 3/8 Catahoula 1/8 Plott. I kept 4 of a litter of 10. 1 is at the Big Bay and 1 I can not catch! The other 2 are coming on fast. They just turned a year old in November and will range out to 5-600 yards regularly by themselves. They are super fast dogs and will flat get after it. The older they are getting the rougher they are getting, which is a negative to me. I feel as if one of the 2 i'm hunting regular is going to turn it on this year. Time will tell.
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:51:00 am »

I bought a female from Kirby rush at outback kennels several years ago and thought I'd try a cross on my curdogs with a gsp....some of the dogs have made real good dogs ...only thing I have seen is  you have  to pick through them the bay mouth just don't come as natural to them ...maybe a hound cross would do better on gsp ........myself for hog hunt'n baydogs   its hounds and curs or hound cur crosses ......
CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 05:19:28 pm »

I bred a nice female cur dog to a field trail gsp. I kept 3 of them started them in the woods and they were extremely hard hunting dogs in fact I could not hunt 2 together at the same time because they would not come back at all. I ended up culling 2 and the other dog was the best dog I ever owned but he got run over. Jojo lemond had the other seven and he had 3 or 4 really nice dogs out of them. I used to have some pics of my good dog on my phone but can't find them

Do you know the pedigree on the feild trial gsp ?
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:12:19 pm »

Do you know the pedigree on the feild trial gsp ?
It was one of my father in law dogs. His name is ronnie sale.

CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:01:31 pm »

Ronnie is  your father in law ? I know him .. he's helped me out at a couple trials .
Good deal
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:55 pm »

Ronnie is  your father in law ? I know him .. he's helped me out at a couple trials .
Good deal
Yes sir he is.

lettmroll
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:19 am »

Chris here while back you little right up on field trial pointer and regular pointers, what was the subject on it, I'd like to read thru it again.

Hold on
Cooter56
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:04 am »

OK! Thanks guys!

Dont Back Up, Dont Back Down
CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 04:57:16 pm »

Chris here while back you little right up on field trial pointer and regular pointers, what was the subject on it, I'd like to read thru it again.

In general Feild trial gsps  are known to be bigger running dogs vs gsps breed to hunt. There's lots of different ways to bring them in but not make them range out ...just like hog dogs same ol story

It's done off horseback and Dogs that win are the most extreme of style on point , run , but also need to handle . You're not gonna impress any judges with a coyote dog running out of control , a dog with its tail down on point , or a dog that's endanger of getting stepped on by a horse . So they have been breed for this for years and years
CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 04:59:03 pm »

That's not to say one is better then the other .. I just love to field trial more then hunt
lettmroll
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 06:07:40 am »

10/4 thanks

Hold on
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 07:35:51 pm »

Lacrash that's a good looking dog

Amokabs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 02:17:09 am »

I think a dose of gsp goes good over just about anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: