April 19, 2024, 07:54:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transporting of Wild Hogs In Louisiana  (Read 3557 times)
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »

It sounds like Louisiana has passed a law making it illegal to transport wild hogs within the state without a permit and it must be an approved facility that you are transporting to. I'm getting some conflicting information on the details. Anyone on here have any details? Supposedly it is the LDAF who has the permits but I can't find any info on their site.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:10:04 pm »

I'm the representative on the states feral hog task force for the Louisiana Hog Hunters Association, this is not a state law and is only enforced by the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestries, were having a meeting in the morning and I'll find out exactly where all of this is coming from, I, along with the other members from the task force was told by the man who works directly under the secretary of wild life and fisheries that LDWF was not enforcing this back in our November meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lacrash
Catch Dog

HURRY HURRY HURRY!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 07:49:32 am »

Tuned in
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:49 pm »

A meeting of the states Feral Hog Management Advisory Task Force was held today at LDWF headquarters in Baton Rouge, when the topic of the transportation rules and permitting came up I asked everyone that was in attendance was LDWF enforcing this law and was told NO, this came directly from the states veterinarian Dr. Jim LaCour, he informed me that he had spoken to the states head enforcement agent just two days ago and was himself told NO, this transportation law is through the LDAF and is totally separate from LDWF jurisdiction, there is a law that the LDAF can enforce that requires you to have the proper permit, this is a civil offense and not within the realm of LDWF jurisdiction, I urge everyone who is interested to go ahead and due the necessary leg work involved in getting your transportation permits, in the future it's a big possibility that this LDAF regulation becomes universal for all Law Enforcement Agencies ( which includes local sheriffs dept. and city police dept.) to be able to enforce this law, I know for a fact that it's going to be presented to the state legislature, the permits are free as of now and easily obtained through the Department of Agriculture and Forestries. With the February WMA seasons right around the corner I urge you, the hog dog hunters in the state of Louisiana, to help police ourselves within our dogging community to fill out your harvest reports every day when your done hunting, that little piece of paper may not seem like a lot to you but that is the data the state uses to determine if dog hunting is an effective means of population control and whether they want to continue the seasons in the select WMA's that already have seasons in place and to potentially open up more WMAs, it's very hard for me to argue our case in these meetings when Hunter based solutions are being considered when the state has the data off the cards in front of them and the numbers seem low, I personally know that the numbers they have are not a good representation of the actual numbers harvested, folks those harvest reports are extremely vital to ensure that we have seasons in the future, I'm not inclined to give out the specifics at this time but know that there are currently 3 new WMAs being proposed to having a new experimental hog dog seasons on them that have never previously had one, some dates being shuffled around to have different WMAs opened up at times other than the month of February and potentially gaining back some of the WMAs that have done away with hog dog seasons due to the states other management programs, and extending the seasons on 3 WMAs that already have hog dog seasons, these are just proposals at the time but goes to show everyone the importance of those harvest report cards. The ball is in our court so it is up to us to determine what we do with it. If you haven't joined the LHHA then nows the time, we're not just an association that collects your money and gives you a sticker, since our inception we have built good working relationships with the LDWF and other state agencies and programs and was instrumental in getting this Task Force assembled so that the hog dog hunters have a voice and ears in the matters of laws and regulations pertaining to hunting hogs with dogs in our state and protecting a heritage and culture that many of us hold dear, and are on the front line to ensure that we have our equal opportunities to hunt just the same as any other discipline of hunting, if you haven't joined go check out our page and send a message and we will get back with you promptly, please feel free to share this and get the word out amongst our community, God Bless and happy hunting to yall...

hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:39:09 pm »

A meeting of the states Feral Hog Management Advisory Task Force was held today at LDWF headquarters in Baton Rouge, when the topic of the transportation rules and permitting came up I asked everyone that was in attendance was LDWF enforcing this law and was told NO, this came directly from the states veterinarian Dr. Jim LaCour, he informed me that he had spoken to the states head enforcement agent just two days ago and was himself told NO, this transportation law is through the LDAF and is totally separate from LDWF jurisdiction, there is a law that the LDAF can enforce that requires you to have the proper permit, this is a civil offense and not within the realm of LDWF jurisdiction, I urge everyone who is interested to go ahead and due the necessary leg work involved in getting your transportation permits, in the future it's a big possibility that this LDAF regulation becomes universal for all Law Enforcement Agencies ( which includes local sheriffs dept. and city police dept.) to be able to enforce this law, I know for a fact that it's going to be presented to the state legislature, the permits are free as of now and easily obtained through the Department of Agriculture and Forestries. With the February WMA seasons right around the corner I urge you, the hog dog hunters in the state of Louisiana, to help police ourselves within our dogging community to fill out your harvest reports every day when your done hunting, that little piece of paper may not seem like a lot to you but that is the data the state uses to determine if dog hunting is an effective means of population control and whether they want to continue the seasons in the select WMA's that already have seasons in place and to potentially open up more WMAs, it's very hard for me to argue our case in these meetings when Hunter based solutions are being considered when the state has the data off the cards in front of them and the numbers seem low, I personally know that the numbers they have are not a good representation of the actual numbers harvested, folks those harvest reports are extremely vital to ensure that we have seasons in the future, I'm not inclined to give out the specifics at this time but know that there are currently 3 new WMAs being proposed to having a new experimental hog dog seasons on them that have never previously had one, some dates being shuffled around to have different WMAs opened up at times other than the month of February and potentially gaining back some of the WMAs that have done away with hog dog seasons due to the states other management programs, and extending the seasons on 3 WMAs that already have hog dog seasons, these are just proposals at the time but goes to show everyone the importance of those harvest report cards. The ball is in our court so it is up to us to determine what we do with it. If you haven't joined the LHHA then nows the time, we're not just an association that collects your money and gives you a sticker, since our inception we have built good working relationships with the LDWF and other state agencies and programs and was instrumental in getting this Task Force assembled so that the hog dog hunters have a voice and ears in the matters of laws and regulations pertaining to hunting hogs with dogs in our state and protecting a heritage and culture that many of us hold dear, and are on the front line to ensure that we have our equal opportunities to hunt just the same as any other discipline of hunting, if you haven't joined go check out our page and send a message and we will get back with you promptly, please feel free to share this and get the word out amongst our community, God Bless and happy hunting to yall...

This is good info thanks.
I hope they do re-open the WMA's they have closed. Would also love to see them open them more than just February.
Any certain people we can contact to help out with this?

Lets go we burning daylight
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 07:28:07 am »

Thanks for the info Goose.
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:06:09 am »

I hope I'm wrong but I believe its just  one step to another step .....  they'll tag a few with charges make a llittle news and that tamps  down the rest .....its polotic's ....with all the crime goin on we paying people to worry about somebody hauling a pig home ...... there has been people pushing for years for state hunters and trappers that can go anywhere on any private land and hunt or trap pigs and the tax payers pay for it .... I am perty sure  I seen where the new rules coming in 2017 here in Louisiana says there gonna do away with the haul permits on the wma's  pig seasons .......private landowner resistance is all that has kept the state from running all over  peoples property ........ they do such a good job  we  got  less deer populations than and state around  us  ...... why don't they just open every wma that has pigs with a hog season and us hunters  buy a  20 dollar permit to hunt it ........who wouldn't pay knowing every year these wma's would be open to hunt hogs ....and that would bring in a lot of money because some people would 3 or 4 different wma's...........believe me  these charges will get enforced  on some ..... polotic's
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:07 am »

I hope I'm wrong but I believe its just  one step to another step .....  they'll tag a few with charges make a llittle news and that tamps  down the rest .....its polotic's ....with all the crime goin on we paying people to worry about somebody hauling a pig home ...... there has been people pushing for years for state hunters and trappers that can go anywhere on any private land and hunt or trap pigs and the tax payers pay for it .... I am perty sure  I seen where the new rules coming in 2017 here in Louisiana says there gonna do away with the haul permits on the wma's  pig seasons .......private landowner resistance is all that has kept the state from running all over  peoples property ........ they do such a good job  we  got  less deer populations than and state around  us  ...... why don't they just open every wma that has pigs with a hog season and us hunters  buy a  20 dollar permit to hunt it ........who wouldn't pay knowing every year these wma's would be open to hunt hogs ....and that would bring in a lot of money because some people would 3 or 4 different wma's...........believe me  these charges will get enforced  on some ..... polotic's

Yep,,, u rite Mr Larry.. It is in the proposal for 2017 season to no longer allow live carry tags for us that hog hunt wmas... and I read that they have Approved the poison thru the EPA on Jan 12th,, so it will soon be able to be bought by landowners and the feeders that are used to dispense the bait.. They say it is only effective to pigs and only pigs can get the bait out of the feeders..  U swear we being invaded by aliens or something... pitiful

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 01:00:06 pm »

I'd like to see a feeder where coons want dig it out and other animals get to it also birds and all ........ any of ya'll ever hunt around farm ground ...I have during summer I have seen poison put out everywhere trails comes out of the rice ...... and our wood duck population has went way down in the past few years and a lot of them don't leave they nest here and looks like they been poisoned out ..........
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 08:44:31 pm »

I'd like to see a feeder where coons want dig it out and other animals get to it also birds and all ........ any of ya'll ever hunt around farm ground ...I have during summer I have seen poison put out everywhere trails comes out of the rice ...... and our wood duck population has went way down in the past few years and a lot of them don't leave they nest here and looks like they been poisoned out ..........

It's already been documented that coons can open these feeders, this poison was only approved not made legal to sell, it was approved on January 3rd so that tells you it's been laying in wait, yes it's being proposed to end live transport of the WMA's you can't always have your cake and eat it to, we have enough fingers being pointed at us as being the root of the problem as it is and the transportation permit is only a means where they think they can keep track of every hog being transported, there's nothing to it, as far as paid hunters and trappers, far as the state side is concerned that's done away with, the state is still trapping and hunting but is being done by state employees now and is not going to be subbed or contracted out...

I'm going to end with one last statement and don't mean to piss anybody off and if I do then oh well, but constant negativity doesn't produce anything positive at all and it's real easy to sit back a talk about a problem but those same ones doing all the complaining dang sure aren't rolling their sleeves up and trying to figure out a solution that will benefit the future of our sport, this is not pointed at any one person or group at all but if you find yourself feeling offended by this then might ask your self what you've done to make a difference, tidal waves start off as ripples in the water...

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 08:45:13 pm »

It's already been documented that coons can open these feeders, this poison was only approved not made legal to sell, it was approved on January 3rd so that tells you it's been laying in wait, yes it's being proposed to end live transport of the WMA's you can't always have your cake and eat it to, we have enough fingers being pointed at us as being the root of the problem as it is and the transportation permit is only a means where they think they can keep track of every hog being transported, there's nothing to it, as far as paid hunters and trappers, far as the state side is concerned that's done away with, the state is still trapping and hunting but is being done by state employees now and is not going to be subbed or contracted out...

I'm going to end with one last statement and don't mean to piss anybody off and if I do then oh well, but constant negativity doesn't produce anything positive at all and it's real easy to sit back a talk about a problem but those same ones doing all the complaining dang sure aren't rolling their sleeves up and trying to figure out a solution that will benefit the future of our sport, this is not pointed at any one person or group at all but if you find yourself feeling offended by this then might ask your self what you've done to make a difference, tidal waves start off as ripples in the water...

parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:30 am »

money will talk ...if the state can sell hog permits for the wma's and create good revenue  they will look at it ...... in polotic's compromise usually means  you loose  .....  where does it stop ...when are where have you ever seen in polotic's where they have said well we have regulated enuff or this is good enuff .....never ..... resistance from private land owners is all that has stopped a complete take over .....this  ain't nuthin new ...... I guess I'm negative on this stuff but I just don't see any positive out come really ....... tell me where we are gaining any ground ? ...... maybe I'm missing something ......
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 07:47:54 am »

I thought I might pass on this little bit of info for the Louisiana Hunters...

I got my permit to transport yesterday and they will be coming to approve my holding pen within the next few weeks. The transport permit process was very easy...I fill out the permit, scanned it and emailed it a man by the name of Jonathan Roberts with the LDAF, then he emailed me a copy of the approved permit and sent the original in the mail. I was thinking it was going to be a yearly thing, but I did notice the permit was valid through December 31, 2021.

He told me they have only rejected one holding pen because it was built over a waterway. There are a few stipulation on the holding pens, but he is very willing to work with the owners because of the many varieties of pens.   
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 12:39:54 pm »

I wanted to pass this on to the Louisiana hunters.....LDAF (or LDFA) came to inspect my pens yesterday and Told us to tell any one we know who transports wild hogs that LDWF (game wardens) will be and have been enforcing the transporting law in Louisiana.

I have already heard of someone being stopped in the DeRidder area.
HOGHUNTERX2
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 11:58:27 am »

What about the randy dingler hunt next month ?
E barnes
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 05:24:34 pm »

Yep,,, u rite Mr Larry.. It is in the proposal for 2017 season to no longer allow live carry tags for us that hog hunt wmas... and I read that they have Approved the poison thru the EPA on Jan 12th,, so it will soon be able to be bought by landowners and the feeders that are used to dispense the bait.. They say it is only effective to pigs and only pigs can get the bait out of the feeders..  U swear we being invaded by aliens or something... pitiful
Well if it’s only effective on hogs why do they need a feeder only hogs can into. It’s BS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOGHUNTERX2
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 07:15:44 pm »

Absolutely no way it will only affect pigs
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 06:17:10 am »

Concerning Randy's hunt.....Randy posted on FB the contact information to attain a transport permit from the state. One of the sticklers is that you can only transport the hogs to an approved holding facility. The state has approved Randy's pen or pens, therefore it will be "legal" to transport the hogs to Randy's as long as you have a transporting permit. If you plan on hunting that hunt you should have time to get a permit. It's not a lengthy process and as of now it is free and good for 5 years.

Below I put the contact info for the lady that recently took over the handling of the transporting and holding facility permits:

Ashley R. Prejean, DVM, MS
Veterinary Medical Officer
Office of Animal Health & Food Safety
Louisiana Dept. of Agriculture & Forestry
5825 Florida Blvd. Suite 4000
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
Office: (225) 925-3980
Desk: (225) 935-2172
Fax: (225) 237-5561
aprejean@ldaf.state.la.us
HOGHUNTERX2
Catch Dog