April 25, 2024, 07:09:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catch dog can't breathe  (Read 1266 times)
hoghunter59
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:27:10 am »

Need some advice, I have a pit that is 9 yrs old and when dogs start baying he gets so excited that I guess his throat swells up and he passes out when he catches if he makes it to the bay. He didn't start this till he was 8 , my vet said to give him a big dose of Karo syrup before the hunt, it seemed to help but he still don't have any wind. He can run loose all day at home with no problems. Wondering if anyone has ever seen this?
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:19:40 pm »

If the Vet said give him Karo, he has low blood sugar. Certain cancers, liver disease, diabetes, etc. can cause it. The sugar before the hunt is just a band aide. You need to find out what's causing it and see if it's treatable, as it can kill him. If he is alright around the house and due to his age, you might just won't to retire him.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
hoghunter59
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:43:27 pm »

Retirement is in his future he is a awesome breeder but I don't have room to retire him and keep em. If I turn him loose he goes and hunts and want stay at home.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »

Soft pallet is a common inheritable condition in bullbreeds.

Since this scenario occurred later in life I would say it doesn't seem to be the case. But it could be a contributing factor if the dog has a somewhat less elongated soft pallet that it inherited.

Tracheal scarring over years could have made the condition worse.

Bulldogs like to try and tug ya around and sometimes it pissses ya off and ya whip em back. We back tie em to a tree after we break em off and they just sit there and tug themselves silly by there collar. They sit on the bike while they bay dogs are barking and tug themselves... They just retards like that alot of times.

Google tracheal scarring ... Bunch things contribute to it. But that and maybe even a inherited degree of soft pallet could be the cause 
tmatt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 06:15:46 pm »

Have you had him tested for heart worms?

Be who you are and say what you mean because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.
hoghunter59
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:04:43 am »

No I haven't, he get a semi heavy dose of ivomectrin once a month with no issues so I ruled out heart worms. I have retired him and gonna try to find him a home as a pet.
tmatt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 08:24:20 pm »

You may consider having him tested... If by chance he did happen to have them ivomec will not kill adult heart worms and the "disease" will still progress until all of the adult worms die off and he is heart worm free. I have seen dogs that had the same issue you are describing and heartworms were the problem. Just my .02

Be who you are and say what you mean because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 08:37:10 pm »

Gagging and coughing are dead give always for heart worms. I have had 3 dogs with heart worms that I cured of heart worms in a short time but it is very risky to do and if a vet does it can cost a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoghunter59
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:25:07 am »

Thanks for the info.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:09:19 pm »

Gagging and coughing are dead give always for heart worms. I have had 3 dogs with heart worms that I cured of heart worms in a short time but it is very risky to do and if a vet does it can cost a lot

Ivomec straight? Ive seen it work on a buddys dog

FYI a safe alternative is DME 1 tbsp minimum per day, it kills them by abrasion, only seen it tried once but it did work and the dog defiantly had heart worms, he used real high dose of it though on wet food etc...
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:29:52 pm »

Yes

hoghunter59
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 10:36:17 am »

Thanks!
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 02:53:22 pm »

Not hijack the thread, but my cousin just adopted a blue tick/bulldog cross that has heart worms. As long as he's on treatment is it okay to have him around my dogs?

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 11:48:57 am »

Only mosquito can pass it that I know of 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: