March 28, 2024, 03:39:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail barking!!!!  (Read 6412 times)
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 05:55:49 am »

Lol I am a silent dog man myself but I have noticed that sometimes a young dog may babble a little bit behind a hog even though in the end they turn out silent I have seen it with several dogs and several breeds.If they get hogs struck and stopped they ain't no cull... I went down south and hunted some groves a few months back and brought a couple dogs my youngest dog would still get excited when she jumped and yip a little bit behind one even let out a bark if she was biting one trying to stop it the two guy's I met with said that dog's a cull man she's opening on a hog going to scare the rest of the hogs out the grove by the end of the night they were trying to buy her because she made their junk look like junk.Since then she has quieted up and gives one bark when she finds one but then goes silent until bayed.If I'd have listened to the old bs of that dog opened or yipped its a Cull the best dog that's ever laid a turd in my yard would be dead lol.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:48 am »

Would someone explain to me how barking on trail scares hogs so bad they leave the country and baying does not seem to bother them.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 10:24:42 am »

This is my take on it. We hunt hogs with a animal as a whole that is less in intelligence then the game it's after. The hog knows that the dog barking is in fact after him and if he stops they will encounter each other. A bayed hog has chosen to stop and face his foe. The surrounding hogs know the dogs are on something other then themselves so they stay put. If they run its usely not to far away. I feel that open or silent makes little difference if the dog is high quality. The distance ran is determined by the dogs effort to stop the hog and the hogs determination to get away on a case by case     

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:25 am »

Judge, I'm not talking about the hog being trailed. I'm talking about the people that say that a dog opening on track will scare all the hogs off the place your hunting. Experience and common sense tells me different. I agree with everything you said in your previous post.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 11:20:59 am »

A open dog won't run off the others once they see that it ain't them the dog is after they usley will circle back. And end up where they where that's my opinion. Now if they been run a few times any ones guess what they will do 

parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 01:08:00 pm »

if a dog bays close to other hogs in a block here the others will leave most of the time ....... just stand on the road and watch em cross leaveing the area ....not all do I guess  but most of the time you c an recast same  block and  nothing  they gone after you jump one .....ha and go put a dog on the trail where they crossed and see how far he is  time he catches up .......... hard dogged country is different .......
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2017, 01:26:08 pm »

I don't know why but every one seems to think it's harder to do where they hunt. Some places are harder but they ain't all harder. There are so many doggers in my area it's nuts and we all hunt the same areas. Very few places around here that are bigger then 2500 acres that a single person owns most tracks of land that hold hogs are under 1000. So if joe blo runs dogs few miles away guess what we running the same hogs. Just my opinion

TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 01:39:02 pm »

if a dog bays close to other hogs in a block here the others will leave most of the time ....... just stand on the road and watch em cross leaveing the area ....not all do I guess  but most of the time you c an recast same  block and  nothing  they gone after you jump one .....ha and go put a dog on the trail where they crossed and see how far he is  time he catches up .......... hard dogged country is different .......

Maybe that's the difference in our dogs. If they bay a hog and there are more hogs close and they leave... There is no picking our dogs up after the first hog and driving them around to the group of hogs you saw run out. Your not picking most of these up til they are out of gas.The dogs we hunt will leave immediately looking for the next hog and if the hogs close enough to be spooked into running I can guarantee you that something will be running it within minutes of rolling off the first hog. That's just the stock bred sense in them.

Get ahead dog!
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:11 pm »

I'm sure everybody that hunts  has places that is ruff to hunt .......  but there is  hard dogged places that make  hunting harder than other places ..... as d oes the terrain you hunt'n ....I run some of the same hogs in the river bottom as  in the swamp believe me the same hogs that I bay will flat run in them row plant pines .....
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »

t-shelly  the dog or dogs  I may have  on the ground that jumps  or bays stays bayed or whatever ......we always  have a couple dogs still on the buggy we will drive up and  put them where some  hogs may have slipped  across out of a block .... now  you know  you jinxed yourself by  saying  what  your  dogs will do  hahahahaha
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 02:15:44 pm »

Lol I am a silent dog man myself but I have noticed that sometimes a young dog may babble a little bit behind a hog even though in the end they turn out silent I have seen it with several dogs and several breeds.If they get hogs struck and stopped they ain't no cull... I went down south and hunted some groves a few months back and brought a couple dogs my youngest dog would still get excited when she jumped and yip a little bit behind one even let out a bark if she was biting one trying to stop it the two guy's I met with said that dog's a cull man she's opening on a hog going to scare the rest of the hogs out the grove by the end of the night they were trying to buy her because she made their junk look like junk.Since then she has quieted up and gives one bark when she finds one but then goes silent until bayed.If I'd have listened to the old bs of that dog opened or yipped its a Cull the best dog that's ever laid a turd in my yard would be dead lol.
Are those two cow bred dogs you plan on breeding open.

Catchin hogs cracker style
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 02:43:15 pm »

Lol no jinxing me. Just call it like I see it. Lots of other dogs and lines guys hunt around here will do the same thing

I was told a story from an old timer about 10 years ago. It was from an old timer so it's one you take with a grain of salt but as this story goes... about 20 years ago they did bring one of these stock bred mellman/Perry dogs over there into that hard dogged Country and put it up against the top known Parker dog around. It was in his country.. they turned both dogs loose into a block. A few hours later the Parker dog was picked up few miles down the road. The dog from over here swam the Mississippi River and was bayed solid. Have zero idea if the story has validity but I don't have any reason to not believe him, thought it was a cool story. It was told to me while relating some history on dogs.

Get ahead dog!
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »

Would someone explain to me how barking on trail scares hogs so bad they leave the country and baying does not seem to bother them.
I thought you to be a past cowman judging by your status on here and your obvious hands on knowledge about stock bred cur dogs. No disrespect intended, but have you ever "hunted" truly wild, rank, haredick woods cattle that have been hunted before. I have never seen one or a bunch that would not start to leave out the minute they heard or smelt dogs, or even us for that matter, coming to them. I believe hogs to actually be smarter than "leather bags of steaks" Grin and find it hard to believe that they would not be doing the same if bad pressured. I have nothing against those that hunt open dogs, as I know they can often produce large hauls of pork. Us Florida Cowman have always prided ourselves on quiet(silent and violent) cur cow dogs. Just a regional thing I guess. Let me clarify that I speak of South/Central Florida Cowman, as those families in the Northern part of the state breed entirely different. 

Catchin hogs cracker style
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2017, 04:45:35 pm »

TShelly,
I have no knowledge of that story you heard and definately am not an old timer....
But I can relate a bit to it and tell one I know is true cause I seen it happen.

I used to hunt with couple guys, in Angola pretty regular. One is good friend and he owned two mellmans, a mother and daughter.

This was bout 7-8 or so years ago. If y'all remember this Mississippi River got real high and it was real danger of it topping the levee in places.

We had sand boils along it from MS down to the coast. Was highest ive ever seen it in my 46 yrs.

Was close to topping in BR.

Well Angola state pen is in a horseshoe in the river on purpose so the iates is surrounded on three sides by water. And they was makin emergency plans of evacuation just in case.

we ran one night and all the spots in river bottom we usually ran were way under water so we thought may be some easy pickin with hogs pushed up. We bayed a good group on the levee right next to the river. Caught a few out of the group. We had them two mellmans and some cur dogs. Well we got all split up running around as the ones we caught was all at same time. Once they were takin care of and had chance to check garmins to see where the dogs were. Only two were missing. The mellmans. We could hear em baying. They showed over 100yds straight ahead in Mississippi River with the current pushing like u wouldn't believe. We stood there and called for over and hour and them dogs were baying in that river. We didn't know if they were swimming whole time or moving from snag to snag, which eould have literally been tree tops. But they were singing the whole time. We called and called and they finally came back. I font know if the hogs swam em back in or our calls did it.... But I site thought we'd never see them two dogs again...

Just thought I'd tell that story.

About the barking... Them two dogs did used to pissses off alot cause the cur dogs we hunted with em just were not on same page. They quit honoring the mellmans bays most hunts cause maybe it wasnt got enough for em and or the mellmans maybe jumped a track or sumthing but lot times we have curs honestly working something out closer and silent and have to leave them to keep up with the mellmans that was getn out of range. And then loose communication with the curs and be mile or two away with sporadic communication and one curs may show bayed but we be heading opposite direction tryn keep up with the mellmans and just leave cur and it just didn't work out that great.

Like apples and oranges....

But I can say those two dogs made for some long nights and would literally put ten miles between you and them if you lolly gaged 

I can appreciate them but it did get to where I didn't even want to go anymore with those dogs. Lol

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 05:42:27 pm »

I thought you to be a past cowman judging by your status on here and your obvious hands on knowledge about stock bred cur dogs. No disrespect intended, but have you ever "hunted" truly wild, rank, haredick woods cattle that have been hunted before. I have never seen one or a bunch that would not start to leave out the minute they heard or smelt dogs, or even us for that matter, coming to them. I believe hogs to actually be smarter than "leather bags of steaks" Grin and find it hard to believe that they would not be doing the same if bad pressured. I have nothing against those that hunt open dogs, as I know they can often produce large hauls of pork. Us Florida Cowman have always prided ourselves on quiet(silent and violent) cur cow dogs. Just a regional thing I guess. Let me clarify that I speak of South/Central Florida Cowman, as those families in the Northern part of the state breed entirely different. 

I could be wrong but what I think Bigo was saying is if opening on a track scares everything in the whole area away that wouldn't a bay do the same thing? Meaning all the barking they do baying up a hog would scare everything the same as opening on a track would. Just the way I took it.
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 06:06:17 pm »

Tshelly, are the dogs you hunt mellman bred? As that is what I have. If so I would be interested in hearing more about them

parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 07:02:40 pm »

you can hear all kinds of stories some true some partly true some the person there just filled in the blanks ......  I don't live on the mississipi river and if you was talking about a hunt I made the dog across the river that was suppose to be bayed was showing treed on garmin we unloaded a buggy drove to where it showed him treed checked he was at the truck when we got back to it ...if that's the hunt that's the truth .....it was summer and real hot I believe the dog was  layed down burnt out not bayed  ........my dog was last dog picked up still running a hog after 23 miles on the garmin ...... hey if any of ya'll have mellmans  good luck ...they dogs just like mine  good bad and better ......
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2017, 05:37:03 am »

No sir they're not open but Holly was a little yippee when she first started striking her own she has since quited up but she was the dog that my buddies said I should cull because she was yippin.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2017, 06:54:25 am »

Tshelly, are the dogs you hunt mellman bred? As that is what I have. If so I would be interested in hearing more about them

Sort of. Everything o have goes back to CB, my 2 yr old black dogs have CB in them 6 times I believe. Pretty tight.

CB was a black mellman/Perry dog. Slow is known about the Perry I know very little about the mellman side. CB came from Dixie and Jasper. Dixie was a Perry bred dog that can be traced to the 50's. They said jasper was mellman bred. I know really nothing about that side other than he was a smoke bluish and tan trimmed dog.

Get ahead dog!
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2017, 06:59:34 am »

TShelly,
I have no knowledge of that story you heard and definately am not an old timer....
But I can relate a bit to it and tell one I know is true cause I seen it happen.

I used to hunt with couple guys, in Angola pretty regular. One is good friend and he owned two mellmans, a mother and daughter.

This was bout 7-8 or so years ago. If y'all remember this Mississippi River got real high and it was real danger of it topping the levee in places.

We had sand boils along it from MS down to the coast. Was highest ive ever seen it in my 46 yrs.

Was close to topping in BR.

Well Angola state pen is in a horseshoe in the river on purpose so the iates is surrounded on three sides by water. And they was makin emergency plans of evacuation just in case.

we ran one night and all the spots in river bottom we usually ran were way under water so we thought may be some easy pickin with hogs pushed up. We bayed a good group on the levee right next to the river. Caught a few out of the group. We had them two mellmans and some cur dogs. Well we got all split up running around as the ones we caught was all at same time. Once they were takin care of and had chance to check garmins to see where the dogs were. Only two were missing. The mellmans. We could hear em baying. They showed over 100yds straight ahead in Mississippi River with the current pushing like u wouldn't believe. We stood there and called for over and hour and them dogs were baying in that river. We didn't know if they were swimming whole time or moving from snag to snag, which eould have literally been tree tops. But they were singing the whole time. We called and called and they finally came back. I font know if the hogs swam em back in or our calls did it.... But I site thought we'd never see them two dogs again...

Just thought I'd tell that story.

About the barking... Them two dogs did used to pissses off alot cause the cur dogs we hunted with em just were not on same page. They quit honoring the mellmans bays most hunts cause maybe it wasnt got enough for em and or the mellmans maybe jumped a track or sumthing but lot times we have curs honestly working something out closer and silent and have to leave them to keep up with the mellmans that was getn out of range. And then loose communication with the curs and be mile or two away with sporadic communication and one curs may show bayed but we be heading opposite direction tryn keep up with the mellmans and just leave cur and it just didn't work out that great.

Like apples and oranges....

But I can say those two dogs made for some long nights and would literally put ten miles between you and them if you lolly gaged 

I can appreciate them but it did get to where I didn't even want to go anymore with those dogs. Lol

That's a cool story and one that we know if true bc you were there. I've had the pleasure of seeing lots of situations similar to what you described the last 10 years behind what I would say are very similar dogs.

I've seen the same problem with different dogs honoring ours as well.

Get ahead dog!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: