April 23, 2024, 07:25:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rough Dogs  (Read 5280 times)
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2017, 07:30:56 am »

to me a ruff dog is a dog that would rather catch than bay ...... don't care  who you are  sometimes   a ruff dog will make the difference in catching a particular hog and sometimes cause  you to loose a hog ....
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2017, 11:20:34 am »

I like dogs that are loose when they need to be and rough when they have to be with the breeding and brains to know which one to be at the right time.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
lettmroll
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2017, 11:26:38 am »

Bigo, that's what I'm saying besides the breeding and the brains you have to handle them everyday.

Hold on
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2017, 12:00:17 pm »

I used to hunt with a fella, had 2 bmc's. They would find and bay hogs, and when you got to bay they would catch Everytime. When they knew you were there, it was caught hog Everytime, but until you got there they would stand back and bay

Wish my dogs could be like that, I either have one extreme or the other. Either rough as a Cobb, or loose as a goose. No in between. Typically my luck
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 10:55:09 am »

I like dogs that are loose when they need to be and rough when they have to be with the breeding and brains to know which one to be at the right time.

I have seen this most often with stock bred dogs, I know any dog can do it but the ones I seen that did this the most natural and were the best at it were stock bred dogs. I think the dogs having good stock sense helps with this greatly. Just an observation.
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2017, 11:48:06 am »

These are the ones we hunt. We usually have a few more dogs on the ground so they can get rough with numbers. But It's more so though they know the game and get rough once we get there. As soon as we walk into a bay if the right cur dogs are there, they'll look up and see you; and immediately tighten up on him. As soon as he tries them they'll stick him or if we go to hollering we can coax them into catching them. Catch a lot more hogs not toting a bulldog around but it can get you cut down a lot more than normal and beat up. I guess it's good because we hunt a mixture of both rough and loose dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get ahead dog!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2017, 05:53:56 am »

I hunt loose and rough together a lot works good for me but it ain't for every one. I got dogs that won't bark so I thro a loose dog with em to let me know what's going on.

BrendanG
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2017, 07:43:43 am »

I have different opinions than most. There is a huge difference in the word rough dependin on who you are talking to. Theres what i tent to call counterfeit rough and theres true committed rough, counterfeit rough (entirely my opinion)  is a dog that gets right in ones face and goes to fightin/biting and gettin whooped on and doesnt flat out catch then theres dogs that go about it in a smarter fashion with a bit more sense. Dogs that barrel in wide open have alot better chance of being cut down than dogs that take their time, wait for the right moment to get a piece and when they do they dont let go. Now at the end of the day rough is rough and sooner or later they will pay for it, i just know that some dogs go about it way smarter than others.....same as catchdogs, some run wide ass open and bulldoze the hog and some  take that extra couple seconds to pick their shot but when they do they usually connect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Excellent post. A smart "rough" dog is skilled in combat. A dumb "rough" dog is full steam ahead.

Hunting style is important. But I need my team to be strategic. Get in. Shut him down. And keep moving to the next hog. Without sacrificing life and limb in the process.

I'm not agains a catchdog that bails and strikes at the right moment.

Ali chose when to strike. I want my catch dogs to do so as well.

Alapahablueblood
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2017, 08:54:59 pm »

Bigo bigo that's what we like and run when they break they r on em like stink on poo but when he stops they back up keeps the hog from running as much imo

Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2017, 12:02:21 am »

I have 5 dogs 2 cats 1 straight catch 1 that will bar a hog for you and stays away from the business end of a hogood unless it's 100lbs or so and 3 pit mnt cur crossed to a pit cat ...straight catch all 3 . When you have permission for 40 acres,they have to catch right now. Never been seriously cut down but been cut good. All females but 1and he more interested in them most time...lol
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2017, 12:04:03 am »

And they all run loose no issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: