April 19, 2024, 02:31:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with diagnosis- very strange problem  (Read 670 times)
chuck
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2017, 05:36:40 am »

Friend of mine had a dog that had both shoulders swell up. We have 40 yrs expierience between us. Have never seen anything like it. I'm talking about swelling that looks like a cartoon muscle dog or something, massive.  The dog was hunted in the morning. Was a little stiff that evening, and completely swollen the next evening. The vet put 4 tubes in the shoulders to allow fluid buildup to drain. Bloodwork was sent off 3 times. Dog was put on antibiotics. Vet kept saying it was some sort of anerarobic bacteria. Dog did not get better in 9 days. Dog was in pain the whole time and could barely move. Decision was made to put dog down. Seemed like a once in a million occurance or something. We hunted yesterday and a dog is showing the same symptoms. The location of the hunt is 50 miles away from previous occurance. Has anyone ever had this happen to a dog and know what is going on, how to treat it?
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:46:12 am »

Has blood work results come back in from first dog, if it's happened to another dog off same yard could possibly something in the kennel or on the yard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:26:43 am »

Tick disease most likely. Everytime we hunt one that has it their feet and legs will look like swollen marsh mellows. They won't eat. It gets to the point where it kills them eventually as it shuts down their kidneys. We've lost 10 plus dogs between us to tick diseases in last 8 years. We give doxycycline to put them in remission and help the dogs that have it but it's still a rough deal. Not sure if that's the case but have them run a tick assay on the dog that's still living. Be about $200 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get ahead dog!
chuck
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:13:23 am »

Tick is what we believed by just reading, but have never had a issue with ticks. Have plenty of them, just no sickness before. Vet stuck with his diagnosis of anaerobic bacteria. Second dog is heading to different vet right now. Thanks
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 07:44:13 am »

Yea they diagnosed the first few dogs with heart problems, poor circulation, some had no answers?! Finally they started doing the tick deal on all the suck dogs and everyone is coming back positive. Talking to a vet, 8-10 years ago they would give some astronomical chance for your dog to get a tick disease. Like 1 and 1 million for example. Now I would say 1 in 5 dogs we own gets it's or has it. And not just one, a wide range of Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lymes disease, etc... tell tale signs are swollen feet and legs after hunting, not eating and generally you can just see a drop in the dogs performance. Maybe they arnt finishing tracks like they used to or just actions different. Usually a few weeks of treatment and they are back to normal. It varies in effects upon the dogs.

To me with the increase in hog numbers across the state, deer numbers are at an all time, everytihing comes with it with way more ticks and way more tick diseases. Just my take on everything but it's become a pretty big deal around here on taking out some really great dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get ahead dog!
DavidTBH
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 08:45:18 am »

thats weird. I had a dog that had swelling on his neck. Like huge. Vet cut into it and said he had thin blood and had to close it to fast to find anything. We gave him steroids and antibiotics and it got better but it came back one more time since. Have him another round and neve saw it again. Wonder if that tick deal was the problem
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: