March 28, 2024, 09:33:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding where to go from here  (Read 565 times)
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:45:31 pm »

I have been hog hunting with dogs now for several years and have bought a lot of culls or dogs that just didn't fit me and how I wanted to hunt its not easy sometimes I didn't have a lot of hog hunting buddies to get good dogs from but I have picked through several dogs to get where am now. I got a male dog pup about 6 years ago from a friend for a sack of dog food I didn't know it then but he turned out to be the dog that showed me the way he was Catahoula and English crossed he looked a lot like a Mt Cur to me and he was busy always and he made a hog dog fast I breed him to an English hound of my brothers and I kept 2 gyps my brother kept 1 male the two gyps are black with brindle trim they resemble Mr Parker dogs a lot to me and they are really making good dogs one of the gyps has prolapsed so she will be neutered this month and that leaves me only her sister to breed to. I was able to obtain an old gyp of no relation to my dogs a couple years ago that's is the best strike dog I have hunted with and was able to breed her to my good male dog before he got killed she had 8 pups all died but one and if he turns out like the sire and dam he will be hell on wheels and so far he's doing great been on several hogs and not yet a year old.  I do have a issue though that male dog would bay so hard some times his eyes would swell up and go blood shot I have seen this in my brothers male pup and he's had one daughter prolapse im not sure if the eye issue and prolapse are related but it seems genetic and undesirable.  I have been kicking around the idea of breeding my male pup to his half sisters the only issue I have is doubling up on a bad gene the other idea I have is try to make one more breeding to the old gyp that's now 11 - 12yrs old with her son keep all the pups use a male off that litter to breed back to the other intact gyp that will keep a little of the old male dogs blood and hopefully weed out any genetic issues I may have. I have some real nice dogs that I want to keep its taken years to get here and I want to improve on what I have if possible. I am open to suggestions or thoughts I have read and have learned a lot here thought I would throw it out there.
tmatt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:55:31 pm »

Breed that young male to his half sister and hang onto all the pups. If it is a genetic issue coming from the male then it should definitely show in offspring that are doublebred off of that dog. It may just be an unlucky thing that happened, it's hard to say. If you breed them and keep the pups and it turns out to be hereditary then you haven't lost anything but a little dog food and a few .22 rounds. If you breed them and keep the pups and no issues pop up and they turn out to be good dogs then you are good. You can still try to get that young dog bred to that old gyp and then you have something to breed back and forth with for many years to come. Just my opinion

Be who you are and say what you mean because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:23:38 pm »

Yeah was thinking worst case scenario I would have a pack of bug eyed dogs with their uterus hanging out that would be a sight definitely unique HA AH
tmatt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:25:05 am »

Probably wouldn't have to worry about your buddies bugging you to give them one... lol

Be who you are and say what you mean because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: