April 23, 2024, 02:11:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping dogs in shape during the summer?  (Read 930 times)
oklahoma hogger
Strike Dog

Spencer fisher

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:54:49 pm »

i DONT hunt my dogs during the summer, what do you guys that take the summer off do to keep your dogs in shape? Mine are looking Fat and i dont wanna stroke em out when it starts cooling off and i start hitting the woods!!!!

Thanks, Spencer

~Change The Game~
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:43:21 am »

Why not just hunt them? Early morning drop about an hour before sunrise, get a pig caught within a 2-3 hours and call it done. I never slow down for the summer or deer season. High expectations and a lot of using are my only 2 training techniques. Have had 1 dog ever stroke and it was just recently and because she was bayed for over an hour and a half in the middle of the day. Hog stroked and died too. Dog lived and hunts like nothing ever happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 04:46:49 pm »

We switch our feed from a 24/20 to a 22/10 maintenance formula during the summer. It seems to help with weight control. They also seem to take the heat better on it.
-
You can hand walk dogs, put em on a treadmill, put em on a horse walker, or take them swimming. You can road them on an atv also if you have the places for it. Young dogs tend to exercise themselves when turned loose. Older dogs might need a reason to work. Hope this gives you some ideas to try out.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:54:42 pm »

If u got some oil field road places take them and turn them out and drive the roads if there cast dogs take them hunting take them to tanks drop them let them hunt around if they show no sign call them in if u got walk dogs then walk them to tanks and if no sign of hogs walk to the truck and go some were else they will get in shape or just wait tell it's 3 in the morning

CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:53:32 am »

CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:56:04 am »

http://www.lcsupply.com/mobile/Dog-Roading-Equipment/products/358/

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 01:56:29 pm »

Hunt from about 10pm-5-6am, its a lot cooler and you actually get longer to hunt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: