April 19, 2024, 08:02:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody keep bees?  (Read 740 times)
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:49:56 pm »

I messed around and built some swarm traps just to try my luck and within a month had caught 9 swarms. I was going to sell them when I caught them but decided to keep them instead. Heck I'm enjoying it. Any of y'all keeping bees?

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
K-Bar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:10:25 pm »

Man that is awesome to catch nine swarms. I didn't have any luck at all on swarms but I do have a few boxes of bees. We got our first box with a cut out about a year ago. We made several splits this year also. They've done really well with all the rain we've had this year. We love messing with them. They are an amazing little creature. Good luck with yours.
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:12:09 am »

We got 5 hives over the last 2 years. 2 were given to us, 1 was a trap-out of a tree, 1 was from a fallen tree, and the latest one was a swam that my son and daughter caught this spring. We haven't harvested any honey yet but we have had alot of fun with them...even though they will light you up every once in a while.
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:13:47 am »

I messed around and built some swarm traps just to try my luck and within a month had caught 9 swarms. I was going to sell them when I caught them but decided to keep them instead. Heck I'm enjoying it. Any of y'all keeping bees?

Dang 9 swarms, that is great! Forget selling the bees sounds like you will be able to sell some honey in not too long.
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:57:03 am »

Y'all are right these are some neat little suckers. The plan now is to sell some honey next summer. We had been seeing lots of honey bees and I was reading about them online. I came across some stuff about swarm boxes. So I built some boxes and bought some lemon grass oil. It was just for something to do. I told the wife that if we catch some I'd sell them once they got established. Well now we're bee keeping. Haha. We didn't sell a one of those swarms. Heck I didn't think we'd catch any to tell you the truth. The first one we cought was the day after I hung the boxes. It was so big that I literally thought a trash bag had blown across the box. It was flat covered with bees. Real neat to say the least. I got one on video landing on the trap and melting into the entrance hole. That was really something to see. I was standing right in the middle of a big swirling cloud of bees. Never got stung either. I was about to blast out of there several times because they was getting on me pretty good. But I hung around and made a pretty neat cell phone video.

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:10:13 am »

Well upload that video to youtube and post that vid up. That sounds pretty cool.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 02:28:53 pm »

Shane, give me a call when you get a chance. I was going to get some bees also lol. Are you back to hunting may send you an Alano to hunt for th esmaller areas lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: