March 29, 2024, 03:28:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting dogos  (Read 864 times)
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:35:27 pm »

Is anyone hunting their dogos like a cur ? As in, they cast them into a wood lot or field. A lead in catch dog doesnt count. Most I’ve seen are either lawn ornaments or lead in catchidogs.
BoroBoys
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »

We run ours on the ground with the strike dogs and they keep up just fine with no problems when the hounds bay up and the dogo's are caught
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:44:31 pm »

I have used them like outlaw curs very efficiently in the past, they would hunt out 500yds to half mile better than allot of curs. It always made me nervous bc Im in North Tx where its thick, often hot as well and mine were/are straight catch and we came close to a few heat strokes but always ended up ok. In my experience I would wait until its below 50 degrees outside if they are straight catch like mine. That said on work nights when I didnt want to drop curs they were efficient in the crop fields and were basically 800 yd dogs that never let them get to the thick creek line.

As an old man now I only use them as a lead in cd now days but will cut them loose from 2-300 yds in most terrain if its not to hot. Ive had good luck with the PPC , LADogos, and TColt's lines as far as hardness, endurance, and catching by 6 mo old in controlled situation, and then woods by 11-12 mo. Ive had a few scott bred ABs from Rodney Spivey that were step for step with them as well ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: