April 19, 2024, 08:00:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Close Hunting Dogs  (Read 4382 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 06:17:45 pm »

A dog that will bark at a big boar only invites races which often lead beyond the property boundaries.     Shocking a persueing dog off or calling it off in one way or another is not something I want to set myself up for.   Shocking a young dog off deer or stock isn't as confusing to a dog as shocking it off the quary you have spent so much effort trying get it to focus on.        Think id rather hunt a type of dog that eliminated these type issues rather than enabled them.   

If the handler has done the ground work at home then he has no need to “shock” a dog, people get so consumed on the whole shock hysteria when in reality the actual shocking stimulation should only be used as a last ditch effort, the tone is our way of communicating with dogs at a distance beyond ear shot, no different than two fighters stopping when they hear the bell ring or a ball player stopping play when an official blows the whistle, when those athletes were in their developing stages they were taught what those sounds meant, it doesn’t discourage them from being superior athletes, no different in dogs, I’ve seen countless times with my own dogs and others as well that are tone trained and it doesn’t mess with their performance one iota, it’s when joe blow gets out there with that fire stick in his hands thinking he’s somebody and going to solve all his problems on the first hunt right out of the gate without putting in the necessary ground work is when and where the whole “shocking” hysteria takes place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: