April 19, 2024, 08:09:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for something specific  (Read 2327 times)
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 09:17:39 am »

It’s all good man, just run ya help out a bit...

And, now that I know a bit more of what you are looking for, I wouldn’t steer ya towards Alan Scott. And possibly not towards any of the other aforementioned either. I think most them would tell ya that producing protection dogs is not remotely in the list of attributes they select for, and may actually select against it. I could be wrong tho.  maybe tico at Jamie might dabble in it a bit.   
Me I think a good ab would be there if stuff got real, but may not really excel in protection sports per say. May take a dog with a different type drive to hit a sleeve esp under stresses from people that a lot of farm or hunting type bulldogs have been selected away from.

If that kinda stuff is what you want to do I’d prob try and steer you toward a hybrid program that produces standard in type Bulldogs.

I’d suggest Henry at leatherneck kennels in fla, don Mathews at konfederate kennels in Georgia, or Maggie at gunslinger kennels in NC. I’m sure there are good hybrid breeders more locally to your area as well. Where are you at? Check out gunslinger website....
Her and Richard breed excellent healthy hybrid dogs that should excel at protection work. Her husband is a good decoy as well
alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 09:29:49 am »

Really nice looking dog mike! I remember when you posted her on truegrit message board years ago.
I was much more jaded back then and I the throws of dog line retardism...lol

Honestly, alpha, I’d steer you towards Scott at yellow hammer. Just cause I know him well, we ate close friends of bout a decade, and know he would treat you right if you wee disappointed if he thought you were right for one of his dogs in the first place.

He has a number of old school lines he had been diligently tracing and combining in various degrees for years.

We have kinda dif view if the breed origin but it ain’t never made a bit of difference in our friendship and respect for each other.

...not that it has with me or some of the others it’s just Scott and I communicate more frequently than with the others and our common passion for some ol raggedy cur dogs out of the same blood, now a days since life took me out that whole bulldog scene

I hear you. I've been focusing on school and getting my health back together. The only bulldogs I've thought about are the two I own. I've just had the thought about the types of dogs I like looks wise and what I want out of a dog work wise.
    My ten year old dog is a fine example of what I want out of a dog. She is laid back in the house( unless there is food involved) and always cheerful and social. she will hunt anything from rats to hogs with the same intensity. Has a bit of protective drive. I've been able to sleep on the porch in a bad neighborhood with that dog next to me and not worry about anything. Sad thing was, I never got to breed her. I was super picky about what I bred her to. when I did try to breed her, it was a bit too late.
   I just want another dog like her: easy to live with, easy to work, can be social in public. where I would improve her is her size and teeth. she around 55 lbs. and has peg teeth. I would also make her more of an hole in the butt to strangers at home. I've lived in a rough neighborhood for so long, that I truly see the value of a territorial dog. when you have a territorial dog, people don't walk through your yard and just take what they like.

That in a nutshell is what I'm looking for, so if you could put me in touch with Scott at yellowhammer, please do.

Life's not a bitch,life's a beautiful woman. You just call her a bitch because she won't let you get that p#$$y - Aesop Rock
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 10:14:50 am »

Pm him on here...he goes by Scott
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:13 pm »

The dog I posted above is directly off Alan's yard... and so is this gyp that I hunted for several years. I believe she was a Crusher granddaughter... one of the hardest catching bulldogs I've ever owned.

Never been a fan of AB's myself, nothing against them, but just not what I personally prefer and like but that's a good looking huzzy right there, I've never had any personal experiences with them but a good friend of mine bought a male from Don Mathews at konfederate kennels that was out of his hybrid lines and I liked him, his demise was that he literally chewed on any and everything and eventually wore his teeth completely out to the point that he had none....
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:06 pm »

I've been to Don's house and went through his yard with him. He's got some nice dogs for sure.

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:52 am »

I've been to Don's house and went through his yard with him. He's got some nice dogs for sure.
I checked him out after reading your post. He does have some nice looking dogs.  But like to many other bulldog breeders, He's a little to proud of his dogs when it comes to price. I've said it before, I don't expect a free dog. Nobody owes me any favors,and I'm nobody special.But 1,000 to 1,500 for a catch dog seems a bit high.The people I've gotten dogs from in the past I thought were fair. They got me started in bulldogs and I'm thankful for them. They breed a more standard hybrid type dog. They have been helpful in finding a more old school bulldog for breeding to my female or getting a pup from. I figure I'd ask some hog dog people to see if they knew any bulldog men that sold bulldogs at catch dog prices.

Life's not a bitch,life's a beautiful woman. You just call her a bitch because she won't let you get that p#$$y - Aesop Rock
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 09:39:40 am »

I would be concerned about wind, heat tolerance,mouth.

Nothing I hate more then a bulldog with a collapsing esophagus breathing so hard I can't hear myself think

The more they look like a pit bull the better these things are(usually)
alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 07:18:54 am »

I would be concerned about wind, heat tolerance,mouth.

Nothing I hate more then a bulldog with a collapsing esophagus breathing so hard I can't hear myself think

The more they look like a pit bull the better these things are(usually)

It really is a crap shoot. I've had pit bulls with no stamina, and seen bulldogs with great stamina. it's a bunch of factors you don't see unless you either work the dog, or spend a ton of money at the vets office.

I'm just done with pit bulls for now.my patience for dog aggression is gone. I  use dogs more for protection work than hunting, but catch dogs have all the basic components of a good protection dog.

alphabravo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 11:28:01 am »

Basically what i'm looking for is an old school farm utility dog. An old school bulldog with old school function. I don't really hunt for sport, I look at it as a survival skill. I would need a dog to hunt anything from squirrels to bear(not that I would with a bulldog, but they have to be willing), easygoing and not overly prey driven, protective but not man aggressive( there is a difference), good with kids( especially the rotten ones),good with whoever I'm good with( until I'm not),good with livestock(I know that takes training) and most of all a good companion.
     I've checked out some hybrid dogs, and most were bred for sport. Sport also is not my cup of tea. there are better dogs for sport. Malinois and Dutch shepherds come to mind. AB can do it, but its not their strong suit.

Where bulldogs shine is in farm work(catching, guarding, pulling and companionship). In a nutshell that's what I'm looking for.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: