March 28, 2024, 02:48:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog Dogging Terms/Phrases  (Read 1455 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:58:02 pm »

Where I'm from, a few of us would always hunt together, no more than 3 cow bred cur dogs on the ground at any given time. We would all bring a dog , sometimes two, and switch them out on the bed or deck during a hunt. You were expected to have a "hog" dog. This was a dog that could wind, find, stop, and attempt to hold a hog on it's own. To us, any thing else was just a dog. I don't care if a dog could strike, wind, trail, find 100 head in a day, if it could not stop and anchor them, it was not worth a piss to us. Just a regional thing I reckon.

Your last sentence says a mouth full, a lot of folks can't grasp the fact that hogs are extremely adaptable to their surroundings, and it takes different styles of  dogs to excel in different geographical regions, and they are as different as people when it comes to different types of animals in different areas even within relatively close distances, terminology in regards to labeling hog dogs seems to be the biggest source of foot stomping and chest beating within this sport, by no means am I saying that about this post or anyone on here mainly public social media...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: