April 24, 2024, 07:46:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I Do It  (Read 849 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2018, 04:35:46 am »

I've been at this game for right at 30 yrs. now. It takes catching hogs to get to enjoy the things I love most about it I guess, but it's not what I enjoy the most. Yesterday morning was one of those times I'm speaking of. We had a crew on the ground. Myself, all 3 of my boys (18, 9, & 7 years old), Kyle and Ben (18 &17 yrs. old), Sid ( 50+++), and our athletic trainer from the high school. From the time we pulled up, everyone but the coach was helping do something, from collaring up dogs to vesting bulldogs. The second we had hogs, those older boys were right there, had the hogs stuck or tied and making the young dogs go on to the next hog, the right way. The little guys were there helping out with tie ropes and leads for the bulldogs, and dad they're bayed again.  Sid and I got to be the old guys and take our time while  telling coach  " I wish you would get on in there"  and him saying " I can't, these things with thorns all on them keep getting me" lol. He's from California originally, I'm really starting to wonder about those guys from California. The last hog was in the creek on the opposite side from us. Again the young bulls ran down there from the gator while the 2 old bulls walked across the concrete crossing and right down to them. When we walked up,  my oldest was in the water and had the hog stuck already. He had walked across a 6" steel pipe that spanned about 30 feet. This pipe had a 1/4"  thick plastic sheet bolted to it for a water gap but had been torn loose from all but the one end and the hog had gotten behind that for cover. Jr just grabbed it and slid down it like a slide and had the hog. Then he leashed up the dogs before they could get around him and handed them up to us. That to me was an awesome hunt. Getting to spend that time with my boys and buddies and watching how far they've come. Don't get me wrong there were some rookie mistakes but fun ones like snapping the wrong end of the lead on the dogs, twice, and getting to raz the coach for being soft. Makes me proud and ready to do it again tomorrow.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:02:09 am »

It's a great feeling when you can combine one of your passions with your kids & they feel the same way. My girls hunted with me & now my Grandkids hunt with me. They always have the hog caught, either tied or killed by the time I get there but the enjoyment I get out of it is unreal.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:42:53 am »

That is the best feeling watching those young ones.
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:36:51 pm »

Sounds like a great Hunt Thomas! That's a top notch crew you had on the ground there.

Don't get carried away now with the CA remarks though hahahahaha

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 02:54:13 pm »

Cajun, I'm hoping it's a while before my grandkids even hit the ground lol. Watching the older ones do what they've been shown and seeing the younger ones get so excited when the dogs light up. It makes me chuckle to listen to my youngest. He'll tell me I hear'em dad, they're bayed. Or I think it broke dad or they have it caught, we need to hurry up and get there. He's usually right too.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 02:57:29 pm »

Oh yeah, Michael, you gotta redeem yourself. I thought you were coming back out here, but I guess you changed your mind. When Joel gets here and Edgar gets here from Florida, they're gonna want to catch'em all. They might not leave any for you.
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »

Most we have done while I was there was 55 so it would be nice to up that number. Hitting that honey hole with A and D kinda inflated that number. Right now I am waiting on the Director of the County Building Dept to sign off on the occupancy permit which I gotta have to get the bank happy. Not a happy man!
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 07:56:37 pm »

Oh yeah, Michael, you gotta redeem yourself. I thought you were coming back out here, but I guess you changed your mind. When Joel gets here and Edgar gets here from Florida, they're gonna want to catch'em all. They might not leave any for you.

Nope didn't change my mind I was just waiting on you to have some time. Hogs in Texas all gone, heck I aint worried about that Thomas. Once you have some time I will come on out. But I wanna hunt with the whole team this time.
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 07:22:54 am »

Yessir,,, it aint nuthin that beats it in my book,,,, that's the way its suppose to be.. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: