April 24, 2024, 08:44:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding question  (Read 2724 times)
Big Game Joe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 07:12:14 pm »

I would in a heartbeat if they're both good dogs and they're what you really like.  I hunted for years with Mr. Orval Roberts. His saying was "breed close and keep your hammer handy".
it's just like any other breeding , it'll either work , or it won't .         

if it works it's linebreeding if not it's inbreeding . if it don't work i wouldn't try twice .
Reuben, I totally agree with you, you have to start with a solid line of dogs. Also thoroughly testing the offspring yourself or testing through fellow hunters that have tested them. Sometimes it takes alot of searching to acquire the bloodline that suits your way of hunting and there are many ways of hunting. One man's top dog is someone else's cull. They gotta please you and no one else. At the end of the day, breed em if YOU like them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
mike rogers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 08:58:44 pm »

great reading here.

I've made several crosses like your wanting or asking to do and tighter. Just make sure they are what you want ( hunt'n style, drive etc..)  Your going to have better luck when breeding good hunt'n dogs together whether it's line breeding, inbreeding or outcrossing one in. The cross will work fine for you. Hopefully you'll produce like dogs. You may have a throw back or two out of the litter, but it should tighten up your line. Remember this will bring out the good traits that your looking for and enhance them, but if you have any bad traits that you dont like it could enhance them too.  Good luck and keep us posted...

again goooood reading

mike
314 kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »

Thanks everyone on the feed back, iv had this gyp for years and has been my lead dog, 2 years ago I bred her to a jam up bmc a buddy of mine had, she had 9 pups in that litter and I sold all of them except one, i kept in touch with everyone that had pups from that litter and all of them made jam up dogs from what everyone has told me, I have a gyp from that litter and she has turned on great for me and so has the male from that litter I kept, I still have the mom but don’t hunt her much anymore just here and there was just wanting to get another litter out of her I really appreciate all the comments back
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: