March 28, 2024, 11:17:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding/ Creating more range/bottom  (Read 1215 times)
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2018, 07:31:53 pm »

Y’all ever add a smidge of running dog into your curs or hounds? It seems like those dogs have a lot of motor to em and I’m wondering what that would do to there ranging out & bottom once the started chasing one. I’ve never really been around any stag hounds or rcd’s and I wouldn’t want enough in my bmc’s that it would increase the likelyhood of being catchy. But enough for a little more leg and running ability. Any thoughts? Concerns? Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:18:53 am »

JPuckett Ima tell u something u can take how u want to but I think people think that the running dog give dogs more go hahaha u want to know y they give them more go cuz the old men that have the running dogs are real dog men and have real dogs and have been breeding for strict goals in there dogs one was to make them go all day with that being said I seen cur dogs do the same thing to me I really think that it comes down to how ur cur dogs are breed now on top of all that I LOVE to cross hound in mine and will always have hound in my cur dogs but I have walker plott and trigg in my dogs and they will hunt and stay tell the end but it’s not the hound u put in them to make them that way cuz I got strait cues that will go just as far and long as my hounds BUT yes if u breed the right hound to ur curs it prolly will help them or u could just breed the right cur to urs and it will help them that’s my way of looking at it

jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:19:04 am »

I’m definitely more familiar with hounds, have hunted around plotts and walkers and have owned a few, but something with a lurcher cross like (border collie, staghound) might just add closing speed... really just kind of interested in the athleticism that those dogs have and wonder if a little intelligence from the collie might help balance that out. Do those triggs have some running dog in em? Only met a couple guys that have those

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:11:08 pm »

I’m definitely more familiar with hounds, have hunted around plotts and walkers and have owned a few, but something with a lurcher cross like (border collie, staghound) might just add closing speed... really just kind of interested in the athleticism that those dogs have and wonder if a little intelligence from the collie might help balance that out. Do those triggs have some running dog in em? Only met a couple guys that have those

Hey jpuckett I'm a little confused at what your asking, are you asking about adding running dog to curs, or are you talking about adding lurcher and or sighthound to curs?

To answer your other question a Trigg is a running dog.
TAPOUT YOUNG
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:34:55 pm »

PWILSON  YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.MY DOGS ARE CATAHOUL  AND BMC CROSS . THEY HAVE A LOT OF BOTTIOM AND RANGE. BUT I BREED THEM THAT WAY FOR TEN YEARS. I DONT LIKE LOOKING AT DOGS I CAN FIND THE HOG STANDING BY ME . LOL    ITS IN THE BREEDING
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 08:04:44 pm »

Rednose: talking sight hounds or lurchers, (really like the thought of 1/2 stag 1/2 border collie; then cross that with full bmc. Gain some brains and athleticism without losing the baying genetics of the bmc.... just thinking out loud really. Hope someone on here has done this to ask about. Saw a guy on another forum crossing lurchers and July’s for bobcat dogs. Thought it was pretty interesting.

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:08:04 pm »

Okay JPuckett I see what you are asking, I wasn't sure if you were talking about crossing curs with running dogs or if you were talking about crossing curs with lurchers and sighthounds.

Haven't seen lurchers crossed on stock dogs so I cannot give an informed opinion on that. I have seen it added into catchdogs with success, some of them were super nice catchdogs.

I have a different opinion on running dogs as I have one right now that I really like a lot but I do not use her for hogs I only use her on varmints and coons. I have also hunted with a ton of running dogs and or crosses that I don't own. Running dogs bring a lot to the table imo but for hog hunting depending on what the hunter likes it would be both good and bad. Just my two cents and good luck

PS I do know there was a few guys in Texas that were crossing running dogs with stock dogs for hogs and liking what they got. Maybe one of them will see your post and chime in with more first hand experience.
Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 02:38:43 pm »

Jpuckett If your wanting to create more range/bottom, you will be going backwards with adding in lurcher/sight hounds IMO. They are most of the time just that, sight hounds. Once out of sight, they lack the drive and nose to keep after it.

I hunt both track dogs and sight dogs. I run my track dogs in the daytime, and run my sight dogs off night vision. I would never add the sight dog blood into my track dogs. You may end up with a good dog but odds are you are going to shorten the range and decrease their tracking ability, but they ought to be faster lol.

I would look at adding in some pointer blood our hound if you don't mind one possibly being open.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 07:06:50 pm »

Jpuckett If your wanting to create more range/bottom, you will be going backwards with adding in lurcher/sight hounds IMO. They are most of the time just that, sight hounds. Once out of sight, they lack the drive and nose to keep after it.

I hunt both track dogs and sight dogs. I run my track dogs in the daytime, and run my sight dogs off night vision. I would never add the sight dog blood into my track dogs. You may end up with a good dog but odds are you are going to shorten the range and decrease their tracking ability, but they ought to be faster lol.

I would look at adding in some pointer blood our hound if you don't mind one possibly being open.

Sums it up right there to a T.

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 10:00:04 pm »

Very interesting, I guess I was thinking more running ability would add desire to run but maybe I’m off on that premise.

Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 11:26:57 pm »

My cousin has stag x hound runs yotes and hog with the same dogs most time we see the game sometimes we don't but if these dogs open in the box they leave the box running and have  one caught with in a min. If wasn't a breeding that was planned but he doesn't regret it now.lol . Turned his whole yard around now he's got stag s hounds greyhounds  and mixes of all the above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: