April 19, 2024, 03:26:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old line Black Mouth Curs  (Read 6300 times)
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:38:53 pm »

Just curious here. We have some older line black mouth cur dogs out of the original Re Taylor dogs. Any of you guys hunting these lines? I hear the names Clue Anderson, Ben Jordan, Bo Nutting, and Bob Owens a lot in my line of dogs.... wanting to hear who all has some of these lines and how they hunt for you. Cow dogs, hog dogs, don’t matter to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cmwhogger
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:45:56 am »

I have a Ben Jordan male. Honestly my best dog. Was almost a cull until around 2 years old. It's like a light switch went off. Great nose, loose baying by himself, more bottom than I like sometimes but he's a true hog dog.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:41:26 am »

All the names you mentioned, except Taylor, have dogs that are all line bred to the same dogs. That would be a cross Ricky Driver made in the mid seventies. The ones that made the cut here were hard hunting, cold nosed, fast track dogs with deep bottom. Did they all make that kind of dog, no. Some of them were slow to mature and some would go through a spell at two that would make you want to cull them. Many of them were too dam smart for their own good. They would get ahead of the handler if you weren't very careful and get some bad habits.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Cmwhogger
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:33:03 am »

I agree 100%. I went hunting with a fella who has a good line of Ben Jordan's and had to have one. At times I regret it but my best dog.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:23 am »

I got those Jordan and bo lines in my dogs. Not every ones cup of tea but they can be good
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:09:05 pm »

i got my start of dogs from clue ,  my cowboy x sue pups go back thru ben's dogs and was told they went back 60 something times to the big boy x blondie cross ricky driver made  . they are natural cow n hog dogs with no tree and very little trash in them .

they were bred to use by people running cattle and hogs outside ( freerange ), not for papers or pecentages of a so n so male or this such n such bitch .

not all of them make the cut , them oldtimers mentioned have killed enough culls to fill up one end of the grand canyon  ! i've culled a few myself , but the ratio is pretty low  .
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:26:50 pm »

Yes, I’d say there are a few culls, but most of em have made good hog dogs! I’d be really interested to hear some stories from some of these old timers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:54 pm »

ive had great luck with the line bred ones, including dr long from A&M, weatherford ben off tank male or lippy female, and deep east tx rathky (spelling?)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:04:48 pm »

they were bred to use by people running cattle and hogs outside ( freerange ), not for papers or pecentages of a so n so male or this such n such bitch .

You said a lot right there, and they don’t come with a sales pitch as long as the mighty Mississippi or any “hall of famers” just good honest dogs bred for production instead of profit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »

i've had 2 fbmco or whatever bred dogs that came from over east of me  that were TOP NOTCH  out of the rarthkes reno dog  , grandsons of weatheford ben.  i mean they would go hunting , find cattle or hogs and  stay bayed .  didn't have to wear out a horse gittin to him but when he he saw you he'd get rough .

i've seen abunch more of them foundation dogs since then that wasn't worth the bullett it takes to kill em . i reckon when you get to selling them at a 1000 dollars a pop a guys eyes get cloudy .
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:47:02 pm »

but lets forget about all that and stay with the original idea of this post 
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 11:38:02 pm »

Ben Jordan ran cattle and hogs on 80,000 acres of mountain forest in eastern Oklahoma's Kiamichi mountains. Many times they would go to find and gather cattle and find a bunch, bay them up and leave a dog or two on them and go on and find another bunch. Before they could drive the two together, they would run out of daylight and have to leave the dogs bayed and come back the next morning, then drive them several miles to the pens. They would gather hogs the same way. Ben told me he had one place where he had to drive cattle twelve miles down a gravel road to the pens. That rock and shell would flat eat their feet up and said that old Henry was the only dog he had seen that could do it today and turn around and do it again the next.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 12:01:01 am »

yessir , if ben would get on here he could educate alot of folks ....   most wouldn't even know how to listen .

he probly knows more about handling bad cattle in rough country than  anybody alive . and he also drove and penned hogs with the same dogs  .

i could repeat some stories i've been told but i'll wait for now and let others type .
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 12:17:30 am »

and bigo wasn't henry a litter mate to punch ?
Cmwhogger
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:36:14 am »

Bigo...I have heard the same stories and can believe it. My Jordan dog will go and go and go. Never quits a hog. Would love to hear some old stories. Sadly in my neck of the woods we will be the old timers one day as we are the first generation hoggers in the show me state. Would love to find a Jordan bitch but havnt been successful.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »

and bigo wasn't henry a litter mate to punch ?

Yes they were litter mates.

Mark Twain
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 06:18:44 pm »

cmwhogger   i knew dean voit 20 years ago he was hunt;n  plotts by  mule in the national forrest around table rock  on hogs ...... i gave  him some russian hogs  when he was  down here .....probably not  many but there;s been a few hunt'n hogs a while in the show me state ...
Cmwhogger
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 08:13:27 pm »

I have heard that name. I'm in the southeast in the Ozarks. All we kill is Russian. Never even a hamp or spotted once. Have a good friend in the western part of the state that kills some Hamps and spotted hogs. I guess maybe I was wrong about the generation thing lol. I do know we are covered in hogs and getting to be more hunters starting and quitting. Until conservation traps every pig like they say. That is interesting about dean volt. Maybe being around table rock I assumed he was from Arkansas
Cmwhogger
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 08:54:51 pm »

I apologize for getting off topic.
parker49
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 11:17:15 pm »

all he caught was russian hogs ... he said he hunted  a  park around table rock lake ......he had  some perty pictures  of hogs bayed  on rock cliffs ... ahh  who cares  if we  get alittle off topic ..hahahaha
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: