April 27, 2024, 03:33:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding Dogs Discussion  (Read 9650 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2018, 02:13:53 pm »

Another thing a person must ask themselves, is what are they expecting to get out of the mating, are they breeding for reproduction and performance to be able to continue a family strain or
Line out certain traits or are
they looking to get performance without any worries of breeding for the future ( ex. a battle cross), line breeding isn’t the only way to get good dogs, it’s just the most functional way to maintain consistency, predictability, and type, hybrid vigor more times than not produces the perfect combination of the parents in a pup but is usually only seen in one or two out of a litter and the only way to know which one it is, is to keep the entire litter or keep them close to find those individuals especially when mating two completely unrelated individuals, at some point though if a person kept culling through enough litters of outcrosses and only crossed those individuals who displayed hybrid vigor amongst one another, even being unrelated, hybrid vigor will eventually start becoming hybrid dominant as the traits that are desired, selected, and kept ate becoming compounded and are essentially being lined out in a way, and eventually those traits, which are the dominant ones that are phenotypically expressed, start pairing up on the chromosomal and molecular levels, it takes a great deal of litters of these types of
dogs produced (hybrid vigor to hybrid vigor) and strict culling but can be achieved, study a good bit of the pedigrees of the running walker breed as a whole and you will notice that there is more breedings based around hybrid vigor than line breeding but it has been done for so long and kept within a certain format ( within a breed standard) that there’s a consistency in type and look but not always performance, you’ll see that mostly with the field trial hunters who a lot of times want to breed to what ever is winning, and most of the times it’s those barn burning super stars that were the only ones of their litters that performed at that level, then the process repeats itself, same situation within the competitive coon hunting world, ever wonder why there hasn’t been a dominant family of dogs win a higher percentage of the big money hunts, sure there has been a prepotent stud dog come around every so often, if certain traits are desired and only the individuals who display such traits are the only ones who are contributing to the gene pool over time most of the undesirable variables (recessive traits) start becoming phased out as a result of only the ones displaying hybrid vigor ( dominate traits) being kept and bred, look into the way John Wick helped out the treeing walker breed a great deal, he experimented a little with line breeding, but never pursued it very far and bred great dogs to great dogs and eliminated the rest from the gene pool and produced some of the best dogs in the country year in and year out and made a dang good living selling coon hounds and his breeding strategy was basically a result of hybrid vigor to hybrid vigor, however he did stay with certain stud dogs who produced dogs to his standard and would breed the cream of his crop from one mating to the same from a completely unrelated mating and overtime eliminated the majority of the traits he considered undesirable and was able to breed high caliber and quality dogs consistently over time and did it without any heavy line breeding, in my opinion had he pursued his line breeding project deeper and practiced it more than his other strategy, there ain’t a bit of telling what he would have been able to do for the breed, during his time, the vast majority of the hunting dog public considered any type of line/in breeding as a major taboo and sure fire way to get dogs with defects and as a result it was rarely practiced openly, and take a look at a good deal of the APBT pedigrees from the good ole days of the sport and you’ll see quite a bit of hybrid vigor dogs who were big money winners but weren’t worth a flip in the brood box and the higher percentage of those dogs were the result of two different families or types being crossed to each other...

Another factor that isn’t an essential but is a contributing factor is the bitches diet and nutrition during pregnancy and overall well being and welfare, don’t get me wrong a good dog is a good dog no matter the circumstances but the mothers diet during whelping has a big influence on helping a pup reach their genetic potential, a poor quality diet isnt going to provide a pups developing body the necessary nutrients required to achieve the most out of its genetic package, there’s been numerous scientifically backed studies that determined that females fed a diet high in DHA during pregnancy and whelping raised pups that had a much higher cognitive development and function than those who weren’t, this also applied to feeding pups after weaning as well, another factor that has been proven time and again is the Bio-sensor stimulation performed on pups during their first 2 weeks of life, I know this doesn’t actually pertain to the breeding of dogs but is a major factor when trying to get as much juice out of the lemon as possible and is one of the most often overlooked determining factors for the simple reason that most of us haven’t ever given it any thought and have never looked that deep into it, I’ve been contemplating on if I should’ve opened my mouth on this subject or not and finally said the heck with it, I’ll add more later that will really have y’all thinking that ole Goose has fell off his rocker and hit his head, lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Definitely wanting to hear more of what you have to say pertaining to this "bio-sensor stimulation"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: