April 19, 2024, 03:55:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plott vs treeing walker  (Read 1561 times)
Bowstretch
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:26:01 pm »

What’s the biggest differences for guys that have ran both regularly that u notice or seemed to notice?  For example grittyness, more open on track, nose, ect.  Or some noticed no difference, color don’t matter just luck of the draw on nose and drive.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:58:51 pm »

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but my dogs carry treeing walker (Lipper). The reason I chose the Walker was because of their track speed and bottom. I hunted with some of both breeds before breeding it in. As a whole for what I was looking for, the walkers were most consistent. There are good and bad in all breeds of course. I love the look of plotts and have hunted with some that were really nice. Some of the plotts I see on here like Cajuns make my mouth water.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:11:34 pm »

I have had and seen both. They both have there good points and bad points. I can’t say ether is better from the good ones I have seen seem like plots run slower and are grittier but could go ether way. Speed for sure goes to the walkers I have seen. A good one of ether would be worth its weight in gold some days lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:09:47 pm »

I own both currently, and have hunted with quite a few of each. But I have not really hunted much with Walkers on hogs, just bobcat, fox, bear, lion, and coons. I am starting one of my Walker/Trigg crosses on hogs currently as she was pretty tight mouthed and I need some hog dogs. We'll see how it turns out.

But back to your question, I personally think its way too general to look at them as breeds as you can get such a huge difference just in the different strains of each breed. Personally I would compare strains. I think you can make some general assumptions though like overall Plotts tend to be more gritty, and Walkers tend to have more nose but even those can be way off. For example the best Plott I ever hunted with was a loose baying dog and was not rough. And one of the best bear dogs I have seen was a Treeing Walker/running dog cross and I have know idea how he lived more than one season. One generalization I have noticed is I have seen way more silent and tight mouthed Plotts than I have Walkers.

Great question, my advice though and I know you didn't ask it lol would be to break it down into three steps
- figure out the characteristics you want and that are most important to you
- Research and find a line or strain that is known for those things
- Then go and hunt with them to make sure what you heard is true

Good luck and have fun
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:11:33 am »

Like said above,,, every line is different in both breeds...  I have hunted and seen both,,, but with that said I ended up finding a few plots that I started with that are a little quieter on track then some I have seen ,, they were a little faster on track than I have seen in others and from there I tried to repeat their traits in breeding them ... that's really all a man can do..  Each dog is gonna hunt just a little different than another,,, Some will have bad habits that others don't,, every now and then u will own one that you wish you had 10 of,, but it aint gonna happen like that often...  Somes high maintenance and some all you gotta do is bring em to the woods.. they'll do the rest..   Good luck to you

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:19:18 pm »

my line bred bmcurs out hunt all my friends hounds most hunts, plus their SILENT!!! point being curs hunt just as hard when bred right thank you rodney spivey and bob cox.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 06:03:32 am »

my line bred bmcurs out hunt all my friends hounds most hunts, plus their SILENT!!! point being curs hunt just as hard when bred right thank you rodney spivey and bob cox.

Pretty sure the question wasn't about how good your line bred  black mouth curs hunt, we all know the age old debates about hounds vs curs, open vs silent, point being a HOG DOG is a HOG DOG, no matter it's creed or color, thank you to the ancient natives who domesticated the wolf....
Bowstretch
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 10:26:36 pm »

I have been straight cur or cur hound cross for all my hog dogs.  Just now experimenting with the straight hounds on hogs. I am very familiar with plotts bc that’s all my buddy runs I hunt with. But I have always wanted to try the treeing walkers. Just always likes the look of the dogs. What lines are know for more gritty?
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 08:50:44 pm »

yall need better curs, hounds suck for hogs  Afro
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 07:47:36 pm »

I'm only saying this cause I know for sure...you can get  grit in any dog out there. It took me a few years to make but I had walkers that would straight rip a bear apart if he didn't climb,yes I had a lot of messed  up dogs all the time but now that I'm hog hunting I have curs hounds cross cat cross and a couple of pure cats . It took me time on that but all my dogs hate a hog.. only referring to your last ? Grit is in them all you just find it or create it.
Bowstretch
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 10:31:37 pm »

Agreed. In my experiences they either have it or they don’t. There’s things u can do to maybe help them a little. I have a full catahoula and a catahoula hound cross that look like road maps and they aren’t bad catchy unless it’s a small one but they bay tight. That’s the grit I like. I like experimenting. I don’t care if it’s a bmc, cat, a cross, or a hound. They all can produce and all bring a little something different to the table.
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 10:07:23 am »

Agreed. In my experiences they either have it or they don’t. There’s things u can do to maybe help them a little. I have a full catahoula and a catahoula hound cross that look like road maps and they aren’t bad catchy unless it’s a small one but they bay tight. That’s the grit I like. I like experimenting. I don’t care if it’s a bmc, cat, a cross, or a hound. They all can produce and all bring a little something different to the table.

I have seen it both ways man,,, It is easier to deal with a dog that has it automatically,,, but it reminds me of a plot puppy yrs ago that I had,,, male dog that my son just loved to death,,, if it wasn't for that , I would have culled him way before that 10 month old mark... But ,, I had put that pup in a kennel and put a hog in the pen right next to his side,, and begin to feed the hog and him along the same side of the fence,....  It took that to make him hate em ,, and I mean hate em.   That dog turned out to be one of the most hog crazy dogs I can ever remember owning...  BUT,, he was too tight baying and wouldn't hold a good bay on small hogs ,, cause he wanted to catch em or nip em.  That was his downfall and he didn't make the cut .  He would be able to hold a big hog ,, but I got tired of him busting bays...

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: