March 29, 2024, 09:07:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bull Head Kennels  (Read 1436 times)
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2018, 09:25:56 pm »

Anyone have any experience with dogs bred by Jeff Beavers of Bull Head Kennels?
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:14:48 pm »

personal opinion is that he has some of the best ABs around depending what u looking for . I crossed them w some heavy Chinaman apbt to decrease size.
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 12:16:05 am »

Your using the crosses as catchdogs?
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 08:43:27 am »

I live in NY so they don't have a chance to be day to day catch dogs. I have traveled to Fl a handful of times to test them out and they have caught. U can see a cpl of them here... http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/search.html?q=plugugly
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 04:44:10 pm »

I live in NY so they don't have a chance to be day to day catch dogs. I have traveled to Fl a handful of times to test them out and they have caught. U can see a cpl of them here... http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/search.html?q=plugugly

It won't be long and you guys will have a hunt able population up there, I've already seen and read reports of an established herds already in NY state, it seems the more these ignorant folks calling the shots at the state level keep regulating the hunting of them the more they're spreading, on your F1 crosses, how much of the gameness/prey drive of the chinaman blood carried over to the pups, or I should've said how much the the AB blood tame down the chinaman stock, and how did you make your cross, male AB to APBT female to vice versa....

Sorry to hijack your post BOBDOG....
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 06:05:45 pm »

People are catching them on trail cams not far from me. Just don't know anyone w hunting dogs going out. Im wanting to find someplace closer to me. Darn tough to find time for a road trip 2 florida these days.
The F1s were, in general phenomenal athletes. More tractable than the straight APBTs, more well rounded, not as skittish. At that point I wouldn't say they had bomb proof nerves but most people wouldn't have noticed. The 2nd and 3rd generations lost athletic ability but gained more solid temperaments. Now the 4th gen is getting close to the F1s in ability but with very solid nerves. The first 2 crosses were 2 different, but related males to 2 belly sisters down from Earl Jr and El Negro. The AB blood was enough to get the pups to dial it back a notch or two. They r cool around other non dominant dogs. They also will chill when its time. Those Chinaman sisters were either sleeping or 100 MPH.
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:59:06 am »

What AB blood did you use and why?
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 06:14:59 pm »

Bullhead kennels, he is deep enough in his program to call them his line. He gets the traits I am interested in consistently.
Lacy man
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 07:45:08 am »

Interesting read. So what made you decide to make this cross? More specifically, what do the bullhead kennels lack? I did see you mention size in the above post trying to bring the size down some, but there are good abs that fall under the 60-70 lb range that have all the same qualities that your speaking of out of the crosses your doing. That's already been done. Just personal preference to have a cross?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 08:16:27 pm »

i only like scott bred abs for hunting, are these scott or johnson?
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 10:08:51 am »

these would be considered Scott type. Like other breeds, there were splits in type when other breeders put their "spin" on the dogs. So some people would consider them from the "performance" family of ABs.  There are ABs that can do everything I was looking for, however consistency can be an issue. I had 5 that weren't worth much before I got a good one. They were all from well known Scott or performance bloodlines. The first good one I got was from some of the same blood but with 1/4 APBT cross out of Manson. That dog spawned a family called Manson Family Bandogs. Manson was a monster of a dog but they were doing crosses with Pressa and going in a different direction. As far as Bullhead goes, he has been breeding roughly Id say 20 years. He wasn't easily contacted and even tougher to get a pup from. That has changed now. I wasn't specifically looking for the APBT 2 do a cross but I found a semi local guy that has some real deal dogs. I decided 2 offer Bullhead a free female on the condition he would breed her to one of his inbred males. Kinda an entrance fee. I have been to many AB kennels, he has the most consistant yard I have been to. I don't have a knock on his yard or dogs. Not saying his dogs r perfect but they, on average are damn good and he is willing to walk the walk. They are large for my liking, real large. Id say an average male is 115lbs, I want and 80lber. I didn't want to try a different family of smaller ABs, because of the consistency issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: