April 17, 2024, 08:09:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you notice certain traits about your family of dogs?  (Read 289 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2018, 06:05:24 pm »

There are a good many traits that I associate with my family of dogs (find dogs).  One of those traits though, really stood out to me this weekend. My dogs have a tendency to get mad when they get roughed up by hog. If my old Clyde dog was still at the hog when you flipped it, then one of two things had happened. Either someone else beat him to the hog, which didn't happen but 10 out of every  100 hunts no matter what caliber the other dogs were, or he got roughed up and was staying there to get his licks in. Other wise he was gone to the next one as soon as you layed hands on the hog. My buddy had a son of Clyde that got one testicle cut out. We just thought he hunted hard before that. From that day on he hunted with a vengeance. You could tell he wanted to kill them all. He became hard to catch when you decided you had caught enough hogs. It was his demise. His last hunt, he was rolling over and my  buddy called him back but it didn't do any good. He was leaving in hurry looking back over his shoulder at them with a "we'll sleep when they're all dead" look in his eye. The next hog broke bay and took out across a lake up near Athens and a gator got the dog while he was crossing. This weekend I lost a nice pup. He was always borderline too rough. He got a couple broke ribs and I layed him up until he was healed good. When I started him back he only got rougher. They winded some hogs that were in an open field and the hogs broke for the woods as soon as they saw the dogs. They stopped a big bad dude just inside the wood line. He tried him and by the looks of things probably caught him, but in a spot where no other dogs could help. Needless to say he didn't make it. He never yelped or screamed one time. I have seen this type mentality repeatedly out of this family, though they don't usually get suicidal rough, they do developed a certain tenacity for hogs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: