April 18, 2024, 10:01:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catch dog trouble...need advice  (Read 1993 times)
bigthickethogdogs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:21:38 pm »

I'm no bulldog man.  Would like to hear so opinions on what yall would do. J have a 5 year old  AB bulldog been using him as solo catchdog since he was a year old.  He has been a pretty solid dog until this year.  Started missing alot put him in a pin with a 200lb bar and it took him 3 tries to catch him and when he did catch him caught him in the side behind the shoulder.  Any advice besides the obvious cull him?

cody hughes
joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:19:02 pm »

How is his teeth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigthickethogdogs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:37:35 am »

Teeth are good..at first I thought he was just running in and not picking his spot.  Now I am afraid he is dreading the catch. Only thing I can relate it to is like a roping horse getting nervous in the box dreading the run. maybe I really don't know just guessing.

cody hughes
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:40:34 am »

Try giving him a few more,if it is the same outcome...you know what to do. I had a dog get wrecked about a year ago didn't want nothing to do with a hog. Left him home a couple of times gave him a couple smaller hogs and he his back at it. I thought for a while I was gonna have to cull him.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:13:14 am »

Was he being sent to rough dogs and now not so much could explain what he is doing. Dogs always catch better when there are dogs helping.

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:44:30 pm »

Was he being sent to rough dogs and now not so much could explain what he is doing. Dogs always catch better when there are dogs helping.

Your exactly right judge, buddy of mine got out of hunting this year and wanted me to take his CD under the condition I didn’t cull him the way I do, I wouldn’t make a promise so i passed on the offer, I had already seen some things that wouldn’t fly with me when he was hunting with him, I told some of the young guys that hunt with me to go get him and try him in a pen, they took him right by himself on a good pen wise boar and he got hit one good time and literally went back to the gate with his tail tucked, this dog had caught well over 100 hogs in the woods but always had company and help, when it was one on one he couldn’t cut it, now not saying this is the case with the OP question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:41:45 pm »

Your exactly right judge, buddy of mine got out of hunting this year and wanted me to take his CD under the condition I didn’t cull him the way I do, I wouldn’t make a promise so i passed on the offer, I had already seen some things that wouldn’t fly with me when he was hunting with him, I told some of the young guys that hunt with me to go get him and try him in a pen, they took him right by himself on a good pen wise boar and he got hit one good time and literally went back to the gate with his tail tucked, this dog had caught well over 100 hogs in the woods but always had company and help, when it was one on one he couldn’t cut it, now not saying this is the case with the OP question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

defiantly a cull if labeled a cd, im patient to get them started but once catching they shouldnt need help... that said who knows what problem a 5 yr old cd could have aquired preventing him from catching, but, regardless if you cull I wouldnt use him as anything but a back up cd if nothing else was available, your safety matters more. Regardless of why no reason to handle the situation except from an objective manner, no emotions, quit using him except as a pet and the occasional back up cd/anchor, or cull as a cd.
bigthickethogdogs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:50:13 am »

Thanks for the input.  My plan is to give him a break then try him one more time if that doesn''t work then I'll have to replace him.

cody hughes
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:08:03 pm »

How hard is his mouth if it’s extremely hard I would work with him if he is on the softer side and won’t hang the ear after few workings. I would say you been lucky and go get the dog he had been hunting with and get him a ice cream
hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:44 am »

Thanks for the input.  My plan is to give him a break then try him one more time if that doesn''t work then I'll have to replace him.
I got a cd from a buddy he caught hard as hell and was his main cd for 8 years then one day he caught on the leg then 2 more times so my buddy retired him. I talk him in to giving him to me cus I love the way the dog looks  him. At this point the dog hasn’t hunted in 6 months. I decided to take him out the first pig he caught with me was a big boar and he was on the ear Hog after hog he caught on the ear for me till mama said he was re retired so maybe he just needs a break to get him fired up again.

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 11:55:14 am »

Well what you end up doing it’s been a month long time in the life of a dog

bigthickethogdogs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 08:49:28 pm »

Haven't brought him back to the woods yet....been hunting a young bulldog instead...

cody hughes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: