April 23, 2024, 05:44:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo strike dogs  (Read 2922 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:41:24 pm »

This is something I have thought about several times. I think a lot of times we create this more so than it being the dogs natural way. I think it's done by only hunting them one way, with other dogs. I believe like cajun, put them in the role you expect them to play. If you hunt them as pack dogs they will be pack dogs. If you hunt them solo, they will be solo dogs and pack dogs when paired up. I tell my hunting friend all the time, when they have a young dog that definitely knows what they are doing and has confidence, to start putting them on the ground first and alone and give them the opportunity to do it by themselves. Because I don't hunt as much as I'd like, I'll take 2 or 3 dogs. But I don't have to turn them all out at once. I can usually try to make it harder and harder for the young dog each time so he learns and gains confidence each time. If they try but struggle too hard, I will cast the other dog before they decide to give up on it. Often times they are settled down and paying good attention by then and learn from the older dogs. Soon they can do it solo or with help. Many times my dogs cover lots of ground because they hunt out different areas even though they are on the ground with other dogs. Sometimes that's good and sometimes it's a lot of work getting to 2 or 3 different bays at once.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: