March 28, 2024, 05:02:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo strike dogs  (Read 2736 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:41:56 pm »

The black male pictured next to little
Girl is my Smutt male, this is the only picture I have of him on this phone, he’s like a rat on acid had an illicit affair with the energizer bunny, he starts off hunting close and gets wider with each loop if he doesn’t hit a track he can take, he’s a lot like little girl in his determination of working a track out, my biggest complaint about him is if he’s hunting and hits a four wheeler trail or rd you might as well get ready to go get him and get him straightened back out because he going to run down that sucker like seabiscuit and if I sit him up a while he won’t hesitate to bunch up some mama cows or yearlings and do it with some style and is easily called off when I yell him out, if he’s been hunted a good bit and kept run down he won’t mess with them at all, few weeks ago I pulled up to a farmers barn the garmin was showing him at and my heart sank when I seen all the goats and kids running around thinking I was about to have to pay for some
baby goats but he was just laid down under their feeder in the shade, another thing that aggravated me is a lot my fault for not keeping him in shape like he should be but if it’s hot weather and he gets hot he will lay down wherever he’s at and I have to go in and get him, or come back and get him, I normally don’t leave him if I see he’s done that on the garmin especially don’t during hot weather, I think he has a genetic predisposition to get worked up and over heat because he will do it in the box and be panting like crazy and hasn’t even made a step yet and has been that way since he was a pup, I had his littermate brother I started hunting at the same time and he was just to wound up, his teeth would be chattering just sitting in the pen and when ever casted he would just make a straight line and run as hard and as fast as he could, I left him in the cow pack and hunted Smutt, he’s one of the only hog dogs I’ve ever owned that will literally run into a wall of briars just hunting, out of the 3 I’ve posted he’s probably got the most range of them and probably tries the hardest of any dog I got but doesn’t come up with a hog as consistently as the other two, he’s Little Girls 2nd and 3rd cousin on his paternal side, and her 3rd and like 5th or so on his maternal side and I’ve raised a litter off them two and got 3 to weaning after a bulldog killed my pick and I had already given my word to the other guys about the others, I sent my ex father in law one being as he’s the one who put me in these dogs, I sent the boy who owned Smutts sire one that got killed as a pup and I give Billy’s step son one that has been the definition of a solo dog since she was about 6 months old, from the first time she was messed with she has been a firecracker, I was constantly getting on to the young man that raised her from a pup because she was just a little thing when he started messing with her and taking her to the woods and running her with the grown dogs day after day and I’m convinced stunted her growth, I skipped little girls last heat but and going to cross her to Smutt again after the success of the first time making that cross...

I have several more dogs that I’m hunting more than these 3 older dogs now that are nice dogs themselves but haven’t built my confidence up enough yet to brag a little on them, I have a female that’s out of Little Girl and Smutts grandpa that has her days where she looks just as nice as her mother and days where she just can’t seem to pull it off but has more good days than bad, once I prove out the cross of Little Girl and the running walker male and I’m going to breed one of those females back to Smutt and another back to Little Girls half brother/1st cousin, but all that’s at least another year out at a minimum, sorry for the ramblings, I’m bored tonight and it ain’t no secret I love talking about dogs...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: